Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting experience in Whistler last week. I was riding with a bunch of people who go slow on skis, so I took a Rome Mod Rocker 159 up on the first day with the intention to go slow and play around. At first I was really into it because it's nimble and forgiving as hell, but then as the day progressed and it got choppy/chundery I found it was much more of a workout than my camber Mod to ride fast (40+ mph) over bumps. Part of the problem was slowing down/checking speed in choppy terrain; I felt like on that board it took a whole lot more effort because all of the stopping power comes from between the feet. Overall my legs got tired much quicker.

On the second day I rode the camber Mod and felt like I could ride more dynamically and controlled through bumps and moguls. With the full camber I can get into a rhythm and spring back and forth about twice a second in chop and moguls which feels great. Wasn't happening on the rocker board. But second day I rode all day again and hardly felt fatigued.

It's been about four years since I've ridden full rocker a lot but I don't remember this problem. It's entirely possible I'm going way faster now than I ever did four years ago.

Do I just suck at full rocker now or is the instability at speed over bumps just a part of riding those?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
To be fair, the Mod Rocker is flat-to-rocker and pretty stiff and stable.
I have one and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Handles everything I've thrown at it well. Definitely not a full on charger but one of the best all mountain boards I've ridden. Not gonna be the best at anything but way above average in most conditions. Pair it with my Shreddy Krueger and I have a two board quiver.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’ve been lately for the first time on a full rocker. Some friend’s of a friend’s old stiff board, he wanted to try mine so we swapped. It did feel different in the conditions you describe. I’ve been lately riding only full/almost full cambers and this lack of stability was noticeable. I felt like I need to constantly keep it on the edge or it will pick its edge for me. At random. It was more prevalent at speed but I didn’t charge too hard with it, there was no ‚on rails’ feeling while carving.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I dislike/hated my old skate banana...it was fine in some non-deep fresh pow. But in chopped, moguls and used crud, it tended to toss you over things rather harshly because there was no spring/camber to absorb the bumps/chops nor was there any recoil. I also disliked riding from the center of the board instead of using the whole length. And because the flex was softer it did not blast through or run over the chop like a stiffer camber. And in deep pow, it tended to fold up and sink unless you had a lot of speed. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Perhaps rocker would be better in dry pow but in pnw poo...it was ewww, yuck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe as you develop better edge control you can ride with less effort with camber as it does part of the job for you. Had Mod Rocker a few years ago, but now when I'm back on camber boards, I don't miss its stiffness combined with flat profile. Interesting that they are bringing it back as Party Mod next year (should be softer than regular Mod, though).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looking at the specs of the Mod Rocker it seems to be a stiff flat to rocker board like my K2 Ultradream, and I get bucked around on that in choppy snow. That's the reason I posted in the "Knees" thread, to find an alternative. This morning I used my (rental version of) Salomon Derby which is really soft flat to rocker and, as well as being great in the powder, it was pretty easy on thd bumpy pistes both over and around the chop. Easy to keep the speed down too, so between my two flat to rocker boards I think it is the stiffness that makes it hard work.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You need to upgrade the shock absorbers in your legs. Think about what that means, there are two likely answers.

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
I have to admit that, having tried a bunch of different boards and configurations in the last couple of years, I'm starting to realize how much it affects your riding. A really good rider can make anything work, of course, but you'll still do better with a board that matches your style.

For me, a 7/10 stiffness mostly camber board seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm only in my 2nd season but everything I've ridden is RCR or S camber. I got a full rocker burton joystick in a trade that I'm planning on taking out to our indoor place on sunday. Lets see what happens. I'm guessing it'll be fine in the relatively perfectly controlled conditions in there.

Probably won't be taking it to Jay peak or anything anytime soon though lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts