Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of creating a new rail that would be easier to transport. Do you think this is an issue that actually needs to be solved or am I wasting my time?

Any other issues with rails you guys notice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I only see this as an issue if u build a rail so big that you don't have the means to transport it

·
Registered
730 Posts
perhaps make a rail that retracts into itself (like an old car antenna)...you could only slide one way, but it may help.

A rail within a rail within a rail....RAILCEPTION!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm no engineer but aren't rails usually pretty heavy for a reason? And when you say "easily transportable" do you mean by what - a pickup?

I figure a decent rail (at least for me, that I would want to session over and over again and actually progress on) is what - minimum 8 feet? I've had friends build rails that were shorter and they were fun for a short time but there wasn't enough "rail" to really lock in a press or front lip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
perhaps make a rail that retracts into itself (like an old car antenna)...you could only slide one way, but it may help.

A rail within a rail within a rail....RAILCEPTION!
Brilliant Idea! Ill look into this. :bowdown: But you do agree this is a problem right?

I only see this as an issue if u build a rail so big that you don't have the means to transport it
Well you see some of us have cars so rails aint very easy to transport. I know with a pickup truck it might be easier.

I'm no engineer but aren't rails usually pretty heavy for a reason? And when you say "easily transportable" do you mean by what - a pickup?

I figure a decent rail (at least for me, that I would want to session over and over again and actually progress on) is what - minimum 8 feet? I've had friends build rails that were shorter and they were fun for a short time but there wasn't enough "rail" to really lock in a press or front lip.
Well i'm no engineer either. This is an engineering project for school. I was thinking just by hand. They are heavy yes, but to get the 8 feet you talk about they get awkward to handle just due to size right?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Brilliant Idea! Ill look into this. :bowdown: But you do agree this is a problem right?

Well you see some of us have cars so rails aint very easy to transport. I know with a pickup truck it might be easier.

Well i'm no engineer either. This is an engineering project for school. I was thinking just by hand. They are heavy yes, but to get the 8 feet you talk about they get awkward to handle just due to size right?
I would think so - again, don't have much experience building them. Not trying to keep you a hard time either ! :thumbsup: I would maybe re-phrase your thread to rail building - I think there's some folks on here who have done it.

I sometimes help out my local park crew moves rails and they're goddawfully awkward most of the time. Minimum two people needed to move around a mid-sized rail, and that's not even to pick it up, its sliding it across the snow AND downhill usually.

Does it have to be a metal rail? Or could you use wood to create a frame and then top it with laminate (like the skinny planet boxes you see at a lot of parks nowadays)? The thing is it has to stand up to repeated abuse from human weight, so I would imagine creating a solid foundation to hold it in place is key. And that's done through ballast, be it through a heavy base material or packing the base deep in snow...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think so - again, don't have much experience building them. Not trying to keep you a hard time either ! :thumbsup: I would maybe re-phrase your thread to rail building - I think there's some folks on here who have done it.

I sometimes help out my local park crew moves rails and they're goddawfully awkward most of the time. Minimum two people needed to move around a mid-sized rail, and that's not even to pick it up, its sliding it across the snow AND downhill usually.

Does it have to be a metal rail? Or could you use wood to create a frame and then top it with laminate (like the skinny planet boxes you see at a lot of parks nowadays)? The thing is it has to stand up to repeated abuse from human weight, so I would imagine creating a solid foundation to hold it in place is key. And that's done through ballast, be it through a heavy base material or packing the base deep in snow...
I also have no experience building them. I want to know what to build at this point, then look how to build them. You have given me many paths to venture down. I shall look into them. Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot.:thumbsup:

Sounds like you're trying to do what Jibs for Cribs has done for years.
To a point, yes. But you see in every design on the planet, there is room for improvement. I am going with the same principle that they should be available to everyday people, and be able to be used by them. I mean a commercial style rail from what I hear is a pain to handle, not making it very user friendly. Would I be correct saying that?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Did you ask this question on yahoo answers? I saw a question almost exactly like this like a day or two ago as I was browsing but since there were no details I just skipped it.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts

To make it out of wood, and yet sturdy and stable enough to support repeated uses, it would likely not be any lighter than a well made metal rail. Something with a relatively thin wall steel tube with a welded-on mounting flange than would attach with wingnuts or something similar to a collapsible aluminum frame would probably yield your best results. The steel rail then could nest (two 5' sections to give an eight foot rail) and have either a through-bolt or one of those spring loaded buttons. :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts