Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a lecture from some guy while on the lift, he started after I got my phone out to change songs. I typically just keep one earbud in but I have it pretty loud. I can tell when people are behind me, and I can hear people talking easily.. what's the big deal?

When I ride alone if it's not busy I'll blast the music with both earbuds in.

Seems like there are quite a few people who are opposed to riding with music, some have even compared it texting while driving (yeah, I'm guilty of that too at times) does the general public have that much trouble concentrating? I'm surprised he didn't fault me for chewing gum.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The dude sounds like an asshat.

Sometimes I ride with music, sometimes not. It really just depends on my mood and who I am riding with. As long as you can hear people around you I see no problem. If people had such a hard time concentrating while listening to music all major snowboarding/skating events would be completely quiet with no music blasting. Even worse, if people try comparing listening to music while you ride to texting while driving then they are simple minded and not using their brain fully (maybe they are, who knows) to think about the differences.

When I watch someone double cork it during the x games this year while texting then I will change my mind.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Never heard of that. I don't ride with music but my buddy does.

Should have told him, downhill has the right of way so I don't need to hear shit.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,957 Posts
That's just ridiculous. What was he claiming? That you were crashing into people? Upsetting him with the sound leakage? Offending him by not talking to him? Breaking a law?

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
I got that lecture in Steamboat from some asshole that hit me from behind. It didn't end well after I punched his Nazi loving ass in the nose. Fuck it do what you want.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I'm with BA

I've never had anyone give me any shit and I always have one bud in while getting my shred

I never plug both ears though

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
i used to prefer riding without music but now i ride with one earbud in

i don't usually listen to music when i'm in the park because the park run is just too short.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Music is built into my helmet and I blast it but it's an open ear headphone design so I can still kinda hear, normally only crank it when I'm alone though. Fuck with some dbag on the lift thinks as long as your not crashing into people and being a dick or whatever.

·
2,316 Posts
I blast music at pretty much all times when riding, and just hit pause on the chairlift or when talking to someone - I just ride a lot better with music. I have also yet to plow anyone. If you pay extra attention with your eyes: scout your surroundings, avoid potential morons, and constantly scan, hearing doesn't give you that much of an advantage.

·
6,957 Posts
I got that lecture in Steamboat from some asshole that hit me from behind. It didn't end well after I punched his Nazi loving ass in the nose. Fuck it do what you want.
HE hit YOU and got pissed at YOU???? That's like being hit by a car and having the guy scream about what you did to his paint job. Punch is probably the only thing that would gotten his attention.

·
6,957 Posts
I've never gotten any grief about riding with music on. A lot of people on Seymour do so, so it would be a losing battle anyway. Only ever had one real argument on the lift, with some jackass who didn't like what the 'damned snowboarders' do to the runs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it was pretty ridiculous he brought that up, I pretty much ignored him the way up. I've seen people on other forums make a big deal out of it too.

Good to see there's not a bunch of fun-haters here =)

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
HE hit YOU and got pissed at YOU???? That's like being hit by a car and having the guy scream about what you did to his paint job. Punch is probably the only thing that would gotten his attention.
Oh the story to that one is priceless. He went off on how 1st I should be so happy snowboards are allowed on the mountain. 2nd he then told me it was illegal to listen to music on the mountain as I had to be able to hear everything around me ( I used the deaf example), then he decided to push me. So I pulled his goggles back and snapped them back into his face then clocked him square in the nose and down that fucker went. The next day heard from a resort host on the Gondy I broke his nose and he had to be sledded off the hill.

I am not someone you want to tell me what I can and can't do when there are no rules about it nor tell me I should be happy I'm allowed on a mountain.

Do what you want within reason if it doesn't effect me I'm cool with it. Smoke in lift lines, have sex in the woods, pee in the park, I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
I have in helmet audio and keep it loud enough to hear the music and have a conversation if I want to

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got a lecture from some guy while on the lift, he started after I got my phone out to change songs. I typically just keep one earbud in but I have it pretty loud. I can tell when people are behind me, and I can hear people talking easily.. what's the big deal?

When I ride alone if it's not busy I'll blast the music with both earbuds in.

Seems like there are quite a few people who are opposed to riding with music, some have even compared it texting while driving (yeah, I'm guilty of that too at times) does the general public have that much trouble concentrating? I'm surprised he didn't fault me for chewing gum.
LOL...when I ride alone, I especially listen to music so I don't have to socialize with anyone on the lift unless I want to. Sometimes I'm in more social mood other times, I just want to be left alone. He sounds like an old crusty dude....

Fuck 'em

Andy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If im riding with friends, I only have one ear bud in, usually in the front ear so that I can hear if anyone is coming up behind me and prevent the "what, what, what did you say" moments.

With out friends, both buds in (Because old Van Halen doesnt sound the same) but the volume to a point where I can make out what people are saying.

If someone random told me off or complained to me about it though, you can bet that I would tell them to mind there own shit.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts