Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. thanks for reading this. i'm an east coast short guy 5' 5" at 133 - 135 lbs.

i've been riding for about 6 years, don't really do the park, at least not rails, just a few small features for jumps.

i do really enjoy pressing (or at least attempting to) all over the mountain but one thing i noticed is that i always felt a bit unstable taking down straight groomers.

i currently ride a 145 capital horror. i was wondering if i could go up a bit in size more and still be able to press... or possibly i should be changing a different size and board?

do the 2mm or even 4mm make a difference in weight and stability or pressing?

thanks guys.

humbly, east coast shortie.

·
Super Moderator
6,331 Posts
It's cm, not mm.

This question has been asked many times. The thing is, it isn't an all-or-nothing situation. There's an ideal length for a particular board for the type of riding you do. Get a different board with a different effective edge and/or profile, and that length changes. Change your riding style and that length changes. Even then, it's not like you suddenly start falling over. You probably have to go more than 5cm off before you start to notice a significant difference.

Most boards (all?) have a chart indicating weight ranges for a given board size. If you're in the middle of the range for a given size, that's you. If you're towards either end of a range, you can probably choose that size or the next one over depending on your preferences. But don't over-analyze. Just go out there and hit that shit.

Edit: There are other factors to consider, too. If you're very tall or very short for your weight, then the board recommended for you by weight might be too long or too short for you to be able to set up a comfortable stance width. If you have big feet, you might need a wide board or a slightly longer board to get the waist width.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
But don't over-analyze. Just go out there and hit that shit.
This. Always this. Can somebody sticky this quote to.., I don't know, maybe the forum header?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
2 cm plays no difference. But for your weight 145 seems to be too short, that might be the reason for unsteadiness.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
hi. thanks for reading this. i'm an east coast short guy 5' 5" at 133 - 135 lbs.

i've been riding for about 6 years, don't really do the park, at least not rails, just a few small features for jumps.

i do really enjoy pressing (or at least attempting to) all over the mountain but one thing i noticed is that i always felt a bit unstable taking down straight groomers.

i currently ride a 145 capital horror. i was wondering if i could go up a bit in size more and still be able to press... or possibly i should be changing a different size and board?

do the 2mm or even 4mm make a difference in weight and stability or pressing?

thanks guys.

humbly, east coast shortie.
That is way too short of a board no matter what. Ok not no matter what, but it's too short.

I'm 5'6" (hey someone shorter than me) at 140-145. I ride 150-153, although for a park deck I'd ride 145-148. I'm looking at some butter boards, in the 148-150 range.

Isn't the capita horror already soft? So you have a soft, real short board. Hell yes you're going to feel unstable down groomers. I felt unstable on a 150 NS Evo on Breck's flatter blue areas.

Gotta pick one, pure buttering stick vs. stability. But man 145 is short. You can do 148-150 no problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i weighed about 165 toward the end of last season and rode a 148 lobster jib board toward the end as i got a good deal on it and wanted a fun board to beat up. i had absolutely no problem taking it way too fast, and down steep runs in between natural features. it got kinda dicey on the huge slush mounds in the afternoons at the end of the season, but honestly that made it more fun to ride, hahaha... seeing how much slush you can slash without getting bucked at speed...

everyone worries so much about board length, but i can take my 158 or my 148 up on any day and still have maximum fun. i think the less seriously you take it, the more fun you can have.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
That is way too short of a board no matter what. Ok not no matter what, but it's too short.
Too short? For who? I think just for fun I'm gonna take my sons 100 down a hill next year. So what? If I find it's a blast, maybe I'll buy one for myself. Think they'll let me, or are the lifty's gonna be all "sorry bro, can't let you ride that, it's too short!"?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Too short? For who? I think just for fun I'm gonna take my sons 100 down a hill next year. So what? If I find it's a blast, maybe I'll buy one for myself. Think they'll let me, or are the lifty's gonna be all "sorry bro, can't let you ride that, it's too short!"?
Thats what she said.

I would think a few centimeters would make more of a difference on a rocker board than a camber board. Camber boards have more effective edge so you can usually size down a little whereas rocker has less effective edge. I am 6'5" and I ride a 157 for my dick around board but I certainly wouldn't use it as an all mountain destroyer.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Too short for the guy complaining he is unstable on groomers ...

...but one thing i noticed is that i always felt a bit unstable taking down straight groomers.
You did read the original post right, the whole reason he started this thread? He has two choices. Go longer, go stiffer, or both.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Too short for the guy complaining he is unstable on groomers ...

You did read the original post right, the whole reason he started this thread? He has two choices. Go longer, go stiffer, or both.
lol, yeah I did, i was reading this one and another one at the same time and apparently forgot which OP said what. my bad. Still gonna ride that 100... :laugh:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
lol, yeah I did, i was reading this one and another one at the same time and apparently forgot which OP said what. my bad. Still gonna ride that 100... :laugh:
Gotcha ;)

And have fun ... might as well just apply some Griswold sled wax to the bottom of a skateboard and let er rip

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Gotcha ;)

And have fun ... might as well just apply some Griswold sled wax to the bottom of a skateboard and let er rip
"non-nutritive cereal varnish" lolol
:laugh::laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts