Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've set up a pretty good amount of bindings for myself and other people, and I consider myself very thoughtful and proficient at it. However, I've never really thought about binding tightening until now for some reason.

I have a pretty strong grip. I've broken the tips flathead screwdrivers off on heavy duty bolts, I've bent metal over tightening weight sets and whatnot. I just switched out my bindings and put them on my Bataleon board and freaked out. I can usually tighten something until it breaks, so I don't really know what tight is in some cases...I mean I can tell if it's tight, but I can always keep going.

A torque rating would be really nice because I'd just use a drill to prevent from ruining my board. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Did I tighten my bindings enough, or are they too tight?", because I'm scared to break my board. :p

Seriously. A torque rating would be perfect. Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of that?

S

·
0 Posts
I've set up a pretty good amount of bindings for myself and other people, and I consider myself very thoughtful and proficient at it. However, I've never really thought about binding tightening until now for some reason.

I have a pretty strong grip. I've broken the tips flathead screwdrivers off on heavy duty bolts, I've bent metal over tightening weight sets and whatnot. I just switched out my bindings and put them on my Bataleon board and freaked out. I can usually tighten something until it breaks, so I don't really know what tight is in some cases...I mean I can tell if it's tight, but I can always keep going.

A torque rating would be really nice because I'd just use a drill to prevent from ruining my board. So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Did I tighten my bindings enough, or are they too tight?", because I'm scared to break my board. :p

Seriously. A torque rating would be perfect. Why the hell hasn't anyone thought of that?
only issue they would run into with providing a torque rating, like you said you would use a drill, would be this...Think about all the people who board, a good amount of them are yahoos that dont work well with this kinda stuff. Imagine someone taking a drill to a bolt thats not totally in the grooves :eek:

I think it would be cool if the ratcheting pocket tools you can buy had a break feature, where it would only allow you to tight to a point then it would stop applying torque. Like a break loose torque wrenches

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only issue they would run into with providing a torque rating, like you said you would use a drill, would be this...Think about all the people who board, a good amount of them are yahoos that dont work well with this kinda stuff. Imagine someone taking a drill to a bolt thats not totally in the grooves :eek:

I think it would be cool if the ratcheting pocket tools you can buy had a break feature, where it would only allow you to tight to a point then it would stop applying torque. Like a break loose torque wrenches
Good point, but I guess it would only be for people who know how to use a drill. You have a nice idea there, I'd like to see that out there. Now I'm going to be wondering about my board all day. Just guess I gotta check it after the first few runs then at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I just put on new targas on my new board. I thought they were tight enough and was afraid of overtightening. I did a few runs and felt like I couldn't ride since I only went like 3 times in the last 3 years. I checked my angles, forward lean, made sure my boots were centered again, then I realized the screws were loose. I had to retorque em down.

I'm not sure if a torque rating would be good enough with new equipment, you'd have to ride and retorque em down again later. Kind of like putting on lugs on a car. You can overtorque em a bit on a car and not worry but I don't think you can do that on a board. :dunno:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd like that so much because like you I have a good grip and could probably do some damage to my board with just a screwdriver.

There's no real way to tell if you're good or too tight, I hate it!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put on new targas on my new board. I thought they were tight enough and was afraid of overtightening. I did a few runs and felt like I couldn't ride since I only went like 3 times in the last 3 years. I checked my angles, forward lean, made sure my boots were centered again, then I realized the screws were loose. I had to retorque em down.

I'm not sure if a torque rating would be good enough with new equipment, you'd have to ride and retorque em down again later. Kind of like putting on lugs on a car. You can overtorque em a bit on a car and not worry but I don't think you can do that on a board. :dunno:
Heh, my k2 bindings were so tight into my board, some of the plastic from the bindings grafted to the top sheet of my board. I've used my Goliath a bunch of times and even in some pretty hairy chop. They were just as tight as the day I tightened them last year. I don't run into the problem of loose screws, but now I'm scared maybe I'm hurting my boards. I can't believe it never really dawned on me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
if you crank 'em too tight you run the risk of creating dimples on the base of your board which are irreversible, in other words you're screwed (no pun intended)

·
509 Posts
Just use 1 hand and tighten them gradually with a medium grip in a cross pattern... honestly, i dont think the screws are going to come off when you are standing on top of them and there are no moving parts... trap them on and jump around to confirm that it is not loose... you guys are making it more complicated then it is... use teflon tape instead of locktite.

S

·
0 Posts
you can feel when your bindings are loose. Agreed, to much thought for something so simple haha

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok Hurcules...

Just tighten them down and forget about it. You don't need to turn until your face turns red and are ready to poop your pants. Just make them hand tight and leave it alone. No need for drills or torque wrenches

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just use 1 hand and tighten them gradually with a medium grip in a cross pattern... honestly, i dont think the screws are going to come off when you are standing on top of them and there are no moving parts... trap them on and jump around to confirm that it is not loose... you guys are making it more complicated then it is... use teflon tape instead of locktite.
I really thought the same thing too. Until this last Thursday that is, when I was out boarding with my buddy and he said his bindings were feeling loose. He un-clicked(yes, he still rides his Clickers), and sure enough, there was a screw missing. We both couldn't believe it. Point of story, they might come out, even with your foot on top of them.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
You people make me laugh. It's a threaded insert about 3 to 5 full turns and it's tight. Use a number 15 posidrive and you're golden.
Hey why don't dab some loctite in there?

Mine were more than 5 full turns and still ended up loose. :dunno:

I read somewhere that loctite is a big no no since it eats away at the plastic.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Despite the fact that this is a seemingly trivial issue, there are people who don't tighten bindings enough, and there are people who over tighten them. A simple torque rating would eliminate the guesswork. Seems like common sense. Not a big issue by any means though, but it wasn't intended to be :p

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I would love a torque rating on every screw in the world, but it raises another problem: a somewhat decent torque screw driver is at least say 200$. And you want a decent one to make sure the rating is true. From experience I know cheap-ass drivers can be off, or tend to go off after some usage yielding the entire rating point useless and bringing it back to the guesswork point you're at now. Hell, even in industrial environments drivers are recalibrated every x weeks or so.
So even if the binding screws would have the rating, tons of people me included would probably stick to best practice: develop the right feeling for what is tight, and check before each ride.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love a torque rating on every screw in the world, but it raises another problem: a somewhat decent torque screw driver is at least say 200$. And you want a decent one to make sure the rating is true. From experience I know cheap-ass drivers can be off, or tend to go off after some usage yielding the entire rating point useless and bringing it back to the guesswork point you're at now. Hell, even in industrial environments drivers are recalibrated every x weeks or so.
So even if the binding screws would have the rating, tons of people me included would probably stick to best practice: develop the right feeling for what is tight, and check before each ride.
Good point about the drill, but you can always have the disclaimer; "Use a good drill" :)

I was just browsing last night for a few minutes and ran across a couple newer threads that didn't specifically mention bindings being loose or tight in the title, but because of water retention under the stomp pads someone might have overtightened their bindings. Also ran across one that mentioned loose bindings after the OP as well. I still stand by the fact that a torque rating would be useful.

I personally have never had an issue, but I am also a cautious person and thought it would make for an interesting thread. This thread has had a good response. It's a interesting issue and I think it comes up more often than not, especially with newer riders.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine were more than 5 full turns and still ended up loose. :dunno:

I read somewhere that loctite is a big no no since it eats away at the plastic.
some hardware comes with loctite so idk. I guess tephlon tape then? if you really are concerned.

I have one set of hardware that came with loctite, the stuff that came with my bent metals.

I have a wonderful idea, just check your hardware at the beginning of the day, everyday. keep a screw driver in your car and a tool in your pocket, theyr like 10 bucks and my dakine has saved my ass numerous times.

problem solved. think about it, your board flexes and torques, the screws are gonna come loose. Its not a torque to x and leave forever. You should be removing your bindings when your not riding alot, get the water out of there.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I was going to make fun of the OP for not having finesse when using tools, and I still am. Then I thought that we aren't dealing with some crazy custom application here. It is just a stainless screw going into stainless threads and you can get torque ratings for those.
http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Torque of Metric Stainless Steel.pdf
Metric Bolt Torque Table - CNCexpo.com

Seems about 70 to 80 inch pounds. That doesn't take into account of the compression of the composites that your bindings and board are made of. Checking after the first day is always a good idea and don't forget the thread lock.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
m[/url]Seems about 70 to 80 inch pounds. That doesn't take into account of the compression of the composites that your bindings and board are made of. Checking after the first day is always a good idea and don't forget the thread lock.
And that's the problem though isn't it? It doesn't take into account the compression of the materials. Once again, a valid question in need of a valid answer. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts