Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Does Board Ability Level Mean Anything?

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  lprevs 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I personally snowboard every weekend in the winter in Vermont. This year I am going to buy a new snowboard (I usually do every two years or so) and I saw the Evo Mini. I am 13 years old and would say I'm pretty advanced, and I love to do the woods as well as many tricks in the parks. After deciding to go with the board by Neversummer, I saw in the board Ability Level that it says Beginner - Intermediate. This worried me but it seemed to be exactly as I liked; a soft board with a flying be shape so it would be good in the park as well as woods. However, after checking another board that was more on the advanced side (at least that's what is said on evo.com), I saw very little difference between the boards, besides the thickness. I was just going to ask if the ability level on the board will effect my riding at all.

Also, any chance it would be too soft to ride in the woods?

Thanks,
Liam

#2 · (Edited)
the higher level the board often = primarily more stiff, secondairly more specifically designed to excell for a specific purpose and lastly perhaps better materials. Therefore an important question for your self is what style, purpose, terrain and snow conditions do you want to pursue. If you ride 1x/week...you are going to want at least an intermediate...if not advanced...that is if you are want to progress your skills. btw you want a board that will challenge you to get better...it might beat your ass for abit but you will become a better rider. Just off the cuff...I would direct you to an advanced all mtn board like a gnu rider's choice in the proper size. Shred on!

edit...perhaps a reason you like a softer board is because of your weight...idk your weight...but a thing to consider...is guys your age will often really beef up in the next few years due to the usual developmental growth spurt and raging testerone.

#5 ·
If your 13 and small, you will be stuck with a kids board. The other small board options would be a women's board which is what my son rode until he was 12, he jas always been larger though. Women's boards will come in sizes down to 139 or so. They are usually built better than most kids boards too.

If you're a bigger kid then move up to a real board, men's board and get the smallest possible size.

If you really are advanced the odds are you can size up a bit and be able to ride it longer as you grow this season. When my son was 13 and early on 14, he grew 6" in 6 months. He is going to be 15 in a couple weeks and he is 5'10" 180lbs.

If you put your sizes up it will help people direct you to a proper board... height weight and shoe size

#6 ·
The reason I want to get a softer board is because I feel like it would be more fun in the terrain park. Softer board = more tricks such as butters, flips, and other tricks in which you need to pop some. I to Vermont two times a week and I have been riding for 6 years. If the main difference between a more advanced board is the stiffness, then I think I would rather have a "less advanced" board. This way like I said before it will give me a bit more pop that I need as I am just getting the hang of flips.

Also, my previous board is the Flying V Burton Custom which I thought was fine but I wanted something a bit more flexible.

#7 ·
Also, my Dad tried a Never Summer board that was a 5 out of 10 and he said it was amazingly soft compared to 5 out of 10 on a Burton board. Any chance the Evo Mini which is a 2 out of 10 is going to be like rubber so that I can barely ride it?

#10 · (Edited)
Yea pretty sure you'd do better with a female board. Mostly because you are already a good rider and will benefit from the added little bits they put in grown up boards. But maybe there is men's boards for your size. I'll check.

You'll definitely grow... soon, and fast. So look for a cool female board without a girly graph and assume you're like 100-110 lbs. maybe even get a female wide.

Edit: there is mens boards for you. Here's a few.

1) http://www.evo.com/snowboards/capit...175/capita-horrorscope-snowboard-2015-145.jpg

2) http://www.evo.com/snowboards/ride-...0731/367239/ride-crook-snowboard-2015-149.jpg

3) http://www.evo.com/snowboards/apo-s...777/382338/apo-selekta-snowboard-2015-147.jpg

4) http://www.evo.com/snowboards/salom...09/salomon-the-villain-snowboard-2015-147.jpg

#13 ·
Another way to look at it is that the youth boards are typically less expensive so getting something with a ton of growth room may or may not make sense as dumping it in a year or two hasn't set you back much.

In 2 years regardless you'll want a new board. And at your age its anyones guess what your stature will be in 2 years.

Only you know whether that is economically feasible or not though it is convenient that xmas coincides with riding season ;)

#14 ·
I think you should just get it and ride it. In a couple of years, you'll be wanting an upgrade anyway and may want something totally different. Youth boards are cheaper, so upgrading sooner rather than later won't be a huge deal. At 90lbs, you're pretty light, and I personally don't see an issue with the Evo Mini for now. I would imagine in a year or two you'll be more in the market for a smaller adult board.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for bringing up those boards, and they all look great but... I have to pay for my own board and am not exactly willing to spend over $300. I also understand I'll be growing a lot, and fast, so I am already sort of buying a size up with a 142 (it's at about my nose). I recently went into a board shop and they said for my age you would want it to be up to your nose because I will continue growing, and chin is about the right size for an adult. However, I don't think I'll mind too much if it is below my chin as short boards are great for park. Women's board is a great idea though. I have a bunch of stickers from the previous season I could coat the board with if worst comes to worst. Great suggestions though, and I find it awesome so many people are willing to help. If you guys don't mind, I would love to keep reading some suggestions about what to do. I'll double check on 145's just in case.

Edit***: F1EA great board suggestions; just saying though, I have bought many boards with medium flex and been a little let down as every year I tell myself to get a flexible board. Is a 2 out of 10 neversummer wise too soft?

#19 ·
I also understand I'll be growing a lot, and fast, so I am already sort of buying a size up with a 142 (it's at about my nose). I recently went into a board shop and they said for my age you would want it to be up to your nose because I will continue growing, and chin is about the right size for an adult. However, I don't think I'll mind too much if it is below my chin as short boards are great for park.
That sizing method is outdated and inaccurate. Those guys at your local board shop should know better. Everyone earlier in the thread was asking about your weight because it is a much better method to properly size your board. Board technology is much more complicated these days, so a weight range is typically associated with a board to match the profile, tech, stiffness and shape based on the intended purpose of the board (park, powder, all mountain, etc.).

Since you're still growing, try to find a board where you're at the lower end of the range. That will at least give you some room to grow into it. Something for like an 80 to 130 pound rider or maybe even consider getting one starting at 100 pounds. It's really personal preference though. Best bet is to demo a 145 and try it out before you waste your cash since you'll be paying for it yourself.

#17 ·
I agree with some responses on here. I know that I'll be buying a new board no matter what by 2 years just because 1 I'll be too tall, and 2 I'll just want to try a new board. I'll check to see if they have some boards recommended at cheaper prices and lower sizes though.

#20 ·
if you are familiar with the burton super hero small board. The mini evo has pretty close to the same flex. My son is a little younger than you, and he currently rides the super hero. He is getting the mini evo and the two are about the same flex hopefully that will help.

#22 ·
I understand now about the stiffness and speed-related impacts, but honestly I'm not that worried about speed. I will be racing more this year, but I find most of the time I'm not that worried about speed, and more inclined to have fun and hit little side jumps and do tricks. Very rarely do I just decide to go straight down the hill, and when I do I don't need to turn too much. I feel like the biggest reason I might want a stiffer board is for races, but last year with a medium flex board I was able to still win not only local races but also came in 2nd for the whole northeast. That was without a stiff board. If worst comes to worst I can always rent a stiffer board, and just use it for the day, or if I make a lot of money in the winter I may buy an entirely separate board as my Dad has seemed to say.

As for the Burton Superhero, I had previously looked at it and found it looked really cool. However many are sold out but I'm sure I can find a way to buy one if I wanted it. My only concern is the fact that it has a flat camber. Can anyone tell me what this means in terms for me? Would it help in the woods, park, on normal runs, and when would it hurt.

Finally, trying out a 145 sounds like a good idea but I would have to just try it later in the season. I want a board all prepped for the winter, however, and I may just try it on the first day. I can always resell my board if backcountry.com won't refund my purchase.

#23 · (Edited)
Once again, I'm just gonna say I think you'll be just fine on the evo mini with what you want to do. At 90lbs, you might find a 145 a bit too long to maneuver in the park. As you continue to grow and progress, then think about getting something bigger in an adult size. I think you're starting to over-think this a little. If you were leaning towards the Mini Evo in the beginning, just know it will be good and get it.

#28 ·
Thanks everyone I think I'll be going with what I originally planned; season for me is probably starting this week so I'll just use my short burton custom from last year most likely.

Thank you so much for all the great help and tips, it really expanded my knowledge on boarding and will definitely use this for years to come. Can't wait for the new season!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.