Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I just learned to ride last season and I ride a 2013 Burton Honcho which has a pretty good amount of camber to it. Towards the end of the season I was starting to get frustrated that I couldn't go faster on the flatter areas. My daughter on the other hand, that learned to ride with me, would fall way behind on the steeps and then fly past me on the flats. She is riding a Burton Super Hero. Is it the camber in the board that makes me go so slow or could it be that I just have an improper stance? I am looking into buying a new board that is either flat or a rocker of some sort but don't want to spend the dough if it is something I can fix with improved instruction.

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Camber digs in at the contact points when you're flat based and does slow you down. Alternative camber elevates the contact points reducing the amount of drag. Form and ability also come into play as well.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
150 pounds of person presses down on the snow the same no matter what board profile is under their feet. In a camber board it's just spread out over a larger area.

I highly doubt that if you had two identical boards and riders, with one board being cambered and the other one being rockered, you'd get any real speed difference...

Flats are all about technique. Stay on an edge and you should actually be faster than if you're flatbasing. Also it might be a difference in your boards. If yours is older the structure might be gone. Might be time for a base grind?!?

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
imho it more about technique....my daughter learned how to flat base and there are very few times that I can beat her down the hill if we are racing both on cambered decks and she is 60 pounds lighter...maybe its lower center of gravity that women have or her better line choice...but she can lay it flat and take off like a meat missile.

·
Super Moderator
6,339 Posts
McNuggets slow me down.

[rimshot] but seriously folks... :D

Length of board makes a difference. Not sure how much. I do know that sintered bases are faster than extruded. My Heritage is a shitload faster than my Havoc, Brigade, or Lithium (which are all cheaper extruded base boards). Although they're also all camber, so BA may just weigh in again here. :)

Your daughter falls behind on the steeps because she's lighter than you. That would happen even with identical boards. She catches up on the flats because her board has less drag and slows down more slowly. :blink: Just a question of why.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
imho it more about technique....my daughter learned how to flat base and there are very few times that I can beat her down the hill if we are racing both on cambered decks and she is 60 pounds lighter...maybe its lower center of gravity that women have or her better line choice...but she can lay it flat and take off like a meat missile.
What's a meat missile?:icon_scratch:

·
Registered
271 Posts
McNuggets slow me down.

[rimshot] but seriously folks... :D

Length of board makes a difference. Not sure how much. I do know that sintered bases are faster than extruded. My Heritage is a shitload faster than my Havoc, Brigade, or Lithium (which are all cheaper extruded base boards). Although they're also all camber, so BA may just weigh in again here. :)

Your daughter falls behind on the steeps because she's lighter than you. That would happen even with identical boards. She catches up on the flats because her board has less drag and slows down more slowly. :blink: Just a question of why.
Friction or something along those lines like your board digging into the snow instead of planing of it. If all else is equal the person who weighs the most will slow down faster on the flats.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
The factors that would slow you down are the base material/condition, wax, and burs on you edges.
But I was under the impression that a heavier person would carry more speed thru the flats because they would have more momentum no?

·
Registered
545 Posts
with proper carving technique, cambered decks actually have the potential to dramatically accelerate after each turn as the camber gets flexed into an unnatural position while ur on edge and naturally springs back into position as you finish your turn. as for rockered boards, there's no spring action as you straighten up. the turns however, are easier as the rocker creates more of a pivot point and catch free feel to bring the board around much quicker. a lot of it would have to do the board construction and the bases as well. as mentioned, sintered bases are considered much much faster )AS LONG AS THEY ARE WAXED AND MAINTAINED) than the extruded bases found in cheaper and park specific boards. ive noticed it when riding my sintered t-rice with cambered tip/tail and swapping over midday to my park board with extruded bases and rockered tip/tail that is also much shorter.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not sure but im pretty big and i go faster then most people on flats, i just accelerate slower. Im like bowser in mario cart

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Based off what you are asking. I do not think a cambered board is slower, though its contact points at the tail of you're board do catch a little bit when riding flat. My remedy: lean forward over you're front leg using no edging and lightly lifting the back foot. (Not over dramatic tho). I might be alone on this but I dare anyone to try it if you have not already. It beats all my friends that ride flat and even or ride leaning on the back foot.

And a good wax job.....:)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Based off what you are asking. I do not think a cambered board is slower, though its contact points at the tail of you're board do catch a little bit when riding flat. My remedy: lean forward over you're front leg using no edging and lightly lifting the back foot. (Not over dramatic tho). I might be alone on this but I dare anyone to try it if you have not already. It beats all my friends that ride flat and even or ride leaning on the back foot.

And a good wax job.....:)
This is the same technique I use on flats as well when I see most boarder having unstrap I'm still cruising away leaning forward.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I wax my boards with Unicorn flem. I never worry about speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts