Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys does fresh wax dry up overtime? Thinking of getting my board waxed when I need to visit a board shop anyway, but the snow season here in Australia starts in 6-8 weeks, should I wait closer to the season or won't it make a difference??

·
Registered
893 Posts
no, it shouldn't.

Wax blocks stay on store/inventory shelves for much longer than that and it doesn't "dry out".

Proper hot waxing doesn't miraculously "hydrate" it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd think 6-8 weeks shouldn't be too bad? But I'll mention that the base does appear to "dry" over extended periods of time.

Several years ago when I decided to get back into snowboarding I had my first board tuned at a shop. Didn't get out that season but when I looked at it the following season it appeared dry.

Just pulled it out now and it is completely dry. It's been stored in a room or closet in indoor temps and relative humidity levels. Haven't ridden it since getting new boards.

Pretty sure it's a sintered base.

Looking at it now it needs some love. I think I'll summer wax it and take it out next season.

·
Registered
612 Posts
just dont scrape it. the longer it sits the better it soaks! scrape it when your ready to ride. a scraper is like 5-10 bucks and a brillow pad is like a dollar

·
Registered
662 Posts
is 8 weeks just when the resorts open?...or will you be actually riding some undetermined time after that? I, personally, wouldn't wax over 3 weeks before I knew my board was actually going to be on snow

you obviously know wax does dry out. 2 months is probably long enough for that thin a layer of wax to start drying out, to a certain extent. Is it really going to matter as far as feeling a performance drop?...probably not

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
just dont scrape it. the longer it sits the better it soaks! scrape it when your ready to ride. a scraper is like 5-10 bucks and a brillow pad is like a dollar
once the wax is done being heated up i dont think it continues to penetrate the base. the main reason you wait before you scrape is so you dont pull all of the wax you just put in there back out while it's hot, which is why people hot scrape to clean the base.

to the OP you are better off getting your own tuning kit, learning to use it, and just putting a layer of wax on yourself but don't scrape it until you are ready to ride. taking it to a shop to get it waxed adds up over time and it's something that can easily be done yourself with the right tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts