·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 sets and I love em!
my latest set are the k2 national autos.....sick colors and tweakback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwu7DR8UjEE

I've had a cable go on one, but rare, and they're really easy to replace,
otherwise they take a beating. I have used one set all year for two years now and no cable breakage or ratchet breakage.

just wonderin' why nobody talks about em....I haven't seen any posts or
threads mentioning them.

doesn't anyone here like em??:dunno:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love the Autos but they get no love on here. Mostly Rome, Union and Flux fans in here. I've had a few pairs over the years including one of the very first pairs that had the cable recall. Left me stranded at the top of Mt. Mansfield and I had to take the sled ride of shame to the bottom.

How do you like the Nationals? The straps look pretty minimalistic and uncomfortable to me...I guess they were trying to cut weight? My '10 Autos have very cushy straps and are real comfy. I also don't really like the Tweakback, I prefer a stiffer more aggressive binding and I ride very little park.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
MOST the folks here like strap-ins. And I love my k2 company's. So much so that I bought a set of Sonics for my guest board, charms for my daughter's board and vandals for my son's board.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have some K2 formulas that I like quite a bit. I like the wide mouth ratchet feed for if I wanna strap in while riding a lift. They are basically the auto's without the auto system.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the Uprises and love them. Not quite as responsive as my Nows, but comfy as hell and fast to strap in.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i had a couple pair of autos and the evers... awesome.. worst part is the hard ware..always came loose

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I had the 11 uprise auto and in order to dial in as nice of a feel as you get in a traditional 2 strap just never was more convenient or comfortable.

Its cool they work for you, there is nothing particularly wrong with this unnecessary tech.

Nothing compares to 2 straps imo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very intreresting....

yea, I've been using them awhile now,....and just so used to the one
ratchet. I've been toying with trying a regular two strap setup on my
next board.....but just looove the quickness of the one.

so you guys actually think there is a different FEEL with the two ratchets/straps? ...how so?....just more snug?....you can get the
front strap on the autos pretty snug.....:dunno:

im confused about the guy who had to ride the lift down when the cable on his autos broke.....you can still ratchet the ankle strap down if that happens....
the only thing that will happen is the front strap will be alittle loose. It wouldn't prevent you from takin' a mellow ride down.

thanks for all your comments!!:)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had the K2 Autos. Liked em, but I still prefer having 2 straps.

Honestly the whole point is you're supposed to be saving time, but it didn't really save more than a couple seconds and it was kind of annoying how sometimes you have to turn your leg at an angle to get them into the binding since the straps don't open completely.

Not to mention I broke the connecting wire once and it had to be replaced. So really my experience with the Autos was that it was a good binding but the auto system didn't really do anything for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i love em!

I love the Autos but they get no love on here. Mostly Rome, Union and Flux fans in here. I've had a few pairs over the years including one of the very first pairs that had the cable recall. Left me stranded at the top of Mt. Mansfield and I had to take the sled ride of shame to the bottom.Jon
hmm..that's odd cuz if the cable goes, you can still tighten the ankle strap, you would've still been able to take a mellow ride down instead of an embarrassing sled.....lol

How do you like the Nationals? The straps look pretty minimalistic and uncomfortable to me...I guess they were trying to cut weight? My '10 Autos have very cushy straps and are real comfy. I also don't really like the Tweakback, I prefer a stiffer more aggressive binding and I ride very little park.Jon

I love the nationals.....they are very solid and have never ever let me down.
also, they have all the bells and whistles....canted footbeds, harshmellow, and completely tool-less adjustments. I'm usually droppin' before any of the traditional binding boarders are still strappin' in......lol SPEEEDY
as for the tweekback,....I don't even really notice the softness.....but others might. I like playful, creative, pressie, buttery riding.....I do go fast from time to time, but never notice the highbacks effecting it.

I was looking at malavitas at one point, but read some bad reviews on em.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the K2 Autos. Liked em, but I still prefer having 2 straps.

Honestly the whole point is you're supposed to be saving time, but it didn't really save more than a couple seconds and it was kind of annoying how sometimes you have to turn your leg at an angle to get them into the binding since the straps don't open completely.

Not to mention I broke the connecting wire once and it had to be replaced. So really my experience with the Autos was that it was a good binding but the auto system didn't really do anything for me.
ahh, yes....well, I guess they're not for everyone....but it's cool u tried em.
i'm so used to turning my foot now to get my foot in that it's second nature...

I guess they're making the cables different now or something b'cus I've noticed a big difference in cable wear. The last set that I replaced have lasted a long time, so i'm thinking their r&d department came up with a better coating for the cable that keeps it from freying.

I haven't ever had to pay for a cable, and just go to my guy at les moise and he gives me a bunch. Yea,...I guess they could be viewed as having an Achilles heel,....but for me, that's worth dealin' with once and awhile.

I will get a set of trad. bindings in the future though.....i'm sure bein' on here is gonna help me find the best ones.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
It has been awhile since I've tried the autos. They worked fine for what they are. I remember them being pretty damn heavy for a binding. Surprisingly so.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, that's an interesting comment....

I do wonder how they compare to some bindings weight-wise....

I might just research that a bit.

those switchback bindings look like they'd be really light......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it just doesn't bother me all too much cuz I know how to
replace the cable, and k2 will give you cables for free.
I figured the cable was the reason most people didn't like
them.

I just hope k2 never stops making autos just cuz people are
skittish about a replaceable broken cable.

besides it takes an enormous amount of use before the cable goes.
there is even a little piece on the binding body where you can inspect the
condition of the cable from time to time to make sure it's good.

dunno,.....I like em:):thumbsup:but I guess you all gathered that...

and NO....i'm not a undercover rep from k2....lolololol

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess it just doesn't bother me all too much cuz I know how to
replace the cable, and k2 will give you cables for free.
I figured the cable was the reason most people didn't like
them.

I just hope k2 never stops making autos just cuz people are
skittish about a replaceable broken cable.

besides it takes an enormous amount of use before the cable goes.
there is even a little piece on the binding body where you can inspect the
condition of the cable from time to time to make sure it's good.

dunno,.....I like em:):thumbsup:but I guess you all gathered that...

and NO....i'm not a undercover rep from k2....lolololol
Oh I'm certain replacement of the cable wouldn't be an issue. It would be more the inconvenience of having to grab another board from the car, or god forbid a day cut short, or having to hike out of deep glades. (something of that nature). That's just me though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It has been awhile since I've tried the autos. They worked fine for what they are. I remember them being pretty damn heavy for a binding. Surprisingly so.
Fair to say K2 bindings on a whole are pretty heavy? I had a pair of companys but returned them due to the weight of them...

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Fair to say they were 4 seasons ago. I can't really say about current models. Maybe they have lightened them up? I might do a demo days this year. I generally demo a handful of the hybrid bindings just to see what is going on. I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
From everything I've read the Autos are solid bindings but they seem to sit in a weird place. If you're giving up simplicity for convenience then why not just go to Flows or Cinch's.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If your going to pull the trigger. Do it. Autos are gone from k2 line due to them getting lost in the "quick entry" style bindings behind the rear entry type.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts