Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally get renting day by day costs more in the long run. But why wouldn't doing seasonal rentals be better?

You don't have to go back to the shop until the end of the season and you don't have to pay for storage in the off season.

And you get a new board to use every winter.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I totally get renting day by day costs more in the long run. But why wouldn't doing seasonal rentals be better?

You don't have to go back to the shop until the end of the season and you don't have to pay for storage in the off season.

And you get a new board to use every winter.
Always buy at EOS boards and outerwear.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The vast majority of members here on the forum are rather particular about the board(s) they ride, therefore they purchase very selectively.
When you do a seasonal rental, you get a board from the very limited ( if any ) selection the shop is offering. If that is fine by you, then it is a means by which to ride a new board every season. Not sure about just how the economics of it works out as I have never considered it as an option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rented boards for 3 seasons before I could consider myself good enough to justify buying a board. They are usually thrash and outdated boards, even when I told them, for year 3: "I am very good, give me your best board " (which was a lie).

·
Registered
458 Posts
What would be really cool though but never be financially possible for a business model, would be to pay a subscription fee for the amount of boards you want at home and then you get to switch them out with different boards all season from the shop’s massive selection of almost every current season model in every size which are always available. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would be really cool though but never be financially possible for a business model, would be to pay a subscription fee for the amount of boards you want at home and then you get to switch them out with different boards all season from the shop’s massive selection of almost every current season model in every size which are always available. :D
But I'm pretty sure that's what Evo offers.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i just called Evo and that's not what they do. You have to return the gear after everytime you use it but the gear you rent is the current seasons stuff. And it's high end stuff like Capita DOA etc

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,168 Posts
It's a good idea for small kids that will only spend one season in gear anyway.

Other than that, end of season sales are the way to go - you get a board for half price that can last multiple seasons. And it's much less hassle to have your own gear.
Nah for small kids it's mostly free gear. You pay X dollars for a used board, then sell it for the same X dollars when it's too small. :D

This season all three of my kids didn't need new boards, bindings or boots! Winner!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's a good idea for small kids that will only spend one season in gear anyway.

Other than that, end of season sales are the way to go - you get a board for half price that can last multiple seasons. And it's much less hassle to have your own gear.
Yep, I've never had a problem getting the board I want for 30 to 50% off. Last year was a jackpot as the Mountains shut down in Oz half way through the season due to Covid and there was soooo much gear Retail were trying to unload. Ended up grabbing 5 boards for some insane prices..., paid $Au414 ($US290) for a '22 Burton Show Stopper 162, $AU535 ($US375) '22 Straight Chuter 162, $Au515 ($US361) for '22 Custom 166W, all delivered. You just have to be switched on how the market works. I'm also pretty lucky as I ride longer boards which along with shorter length, are always last to shift.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
For adults a seasonal rental of quality (non-ltr) gear would likely cost more then purchasing nos, or mid-tier gear, if you need a seasonal rental do you really need all the bells and whistles?

besides the single most important piece of gear is boots and you aren’t going to get the right pair as a rental

·
Registered
341 Posts
besides the single most important piece of gear is boots and you aren’t going to get the right pair as a rental
Well actually, that would be the selling point of seasonal rental IMO. The few people I know doing it around Lyon, they can go back and change size/type until they have one that fits well and keep it for the season. It's often very decent, if simple, gear. I can get the idea for casual intermediate.

For anybody else, buying—second hand included—seems a better option. In the upper end I find a lot of good second hand gear, most likely from nerds who buy more than they ride and I'm considering using second hand much more to "swap" boards in my quiver with much less impact/plastic/etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The vast majority of members here on the forum are rather particular about the board(s) they ride, therefore they purchase very selectively.
When you do a seasonal rental, you get a board from the very limited ( if any ) selection the shop is offering. If that is fine by you, then it is a means by which to ride a new board every season. Not sure about just how the economics of it works out as I have never considered it as an option.
And typically rentals are usually a lower end model. So after you actually learn how to ride, is when the salivation for the board / style you aspire to begins. (and never ends, can you say Quiver?) 🤙:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And typically rentals are usually a lower end model. So after you actually learn how to ride, is when the salivation for the board / style you aspire to begins. (and never ends, can you say Quiver?) 🤙:cool:
But the place I went to said the capital DOA was one of the boards that was part of the program last year. Isn't that a pretty high-end board?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
To rent you a new snowboard all season the shop has to buy it and then make money after all their costs. Even getting the snowboard at a cheaper bulk price they'll need to charge you loads.

You likely wouldn't get a brand new board, and it would still be expensive.
And you can just imagine the damage accustomed to a seasonal rental.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts