Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Firstly, I know there is loads of threads around discussing this topic but everything I read contradicts eachother.

SO here goes..

I am reading that..... generally speaking, someone who is left footed would be goofy?? and someone who is right footed would be regular?? Thus, the dominant foot would be at the back. (which I "think" is incorrect)

There are also posts that suggest the front foot does all/most of the steering and thus you should have your dominant foot at the front (which in my opinion makes more sense).

I know about all the tests, kicking soccer ball etc etc. So to be clear, the question is not how to discover which foot is dominant. I am left footed 100% and ride regular (admittedly only beginner).

I was told that if I'm left footed I should ride regular.. so thats how I've learnt. But on various other posts, people suggest that a lefty should ride goofy.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Your post confused the hell out of me!

Generally you can say "left foot forward" or "right foot forward." I am right foot forward which is goofy. Left foot forward is regular. That means the foot that is in the front leading.

"footed" as you call it doesn't matter. Ride what feels best for you. There are no rules. Ride. Kick ass. Then learn the other way too.

And your theory must be wrong because I kick the soccer ball with my right foot and I am right foot forward which is goofy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYjdnNDinrI

Generally you can saay "left foot forward" or "right foot forward." I am right foot forward which is goofy. Left foot forward is regular. That means the foot that is in the front leading.
So, my question essentially is, if I'm left footed, I "should ride regular" i.e. dominant foot forward, for steering etc.

Some posts suggest dominant foot at the back, which wouldn't make any sense..

·
Registered
971 Posts
I edited my original post after I re-read yours.

There are no rules. You ride how it feels best, end of story.

My son has been riding regular but just this week decided he feels better goofy. No rules. Just ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Generally you can say "left foot forward" or "right foot forward." I am right foot forward which is goofy. Left foot forward is regular. That means the foot that is in the front leading.

"footed" as you call it doesn't matter. Ride what feels best for you. There are no rules. Ride. Kick ass. Then learn the other way too.

And your theory must be wrong because I kick the soccer ball with my right foot and I am right foot forward which is goofy.
My theory is therefore correct?? If you kick a soccer ball with your right foot, and ride goofy, your dominant foot is forward.. thats my point.

Other posts suggest the dominant foot goes at the back, which I disagree with...

PS. thanks.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
regular stance = left foot forward, right foot back.

goofy stance = right foot forward, left foot back.

switch = riding opposite of your normal stance.

everyone = wishes they can ride switch better, but doesn't want to put in the work usually.

I know a lot of riders who are right side dominant but ride goofy, do w/e you're comfortable with, there is no right or wrong in preferred stance. if you were to tell me that my dominant foot should be forward I'd tell you to fuck off. if you were to tell me your reasoning for your riding goofy/regular was because of your theory, I'd tell you to keep doing what you're doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
regular stance = left foot forward, right foot back.

goofy stance = right foot forward, left foot back.

I know a lot of riders who are right side dominant but ride goofy,
Thanks.

Isn't goofy for someone who is right side dominant normal, no? i.e their dominant foot forward? (sorry, just the way you say "but ride goofy" like someone right footed should be regular?)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks.

Isn't goofy for someone who is right side dominant normal, no? i.e their dominant foot forward? (sorry, just the way you say "but ride goofy" like someone right footed should be regular?)
no not necessarily, the "normal" way is, the dominant foot is in the back, but if that's how your brain works, you can put your dominant foot forward. if your right foot is your dominant foot and you ride with it in front, then you are a goofy stance. if your left foot is your dominant foot and you ride it in the back, you still are in a goofy stance. left foot forward = regular, right foot forward = goofy regardless of which is the dominant foot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no not necessarily, the "normal" way is, the dominant foot is in the back, but if that's how your brain works, you can put your dominant foot forward. if your right foot is your dominant foot and you ride with it in front, then you are a goofy stance. if your left foot is your dominant foot and you ride it in the back, you still are in a goofy stance. left foot forward = regular, right foot forward = goofy regardless of which is the dominant foot.
ahhh ok thats answered it, I think.

I know the difference between goofy and regular, but I was under the impression that your dominant foot should be at the front.....hence why I thought a lefty would always start riding regular, and righty would start goofy. (obviously unless riding switch, I'm just talking about, starting out, back to basics kinda stuff)

From what your saying, the dominant foot "normally" is at the back. so a lefty would "normally" start to ride goofy?

The thing that actually triggered this was.... I have learnt to ride regular as when I took my first lessons, the instructor said, as I am left foot dominant, I should ride regular. (which is meant my dominant foot was forward)

When I was speaking with another guy who snowboards, and I told him I'm left footed, he said, 'oh you ride goofy'... (which obviously suggests my dominant foot should be at the back)

its spiralled from there..

Thanks for letting me bore you to death nonetheless..

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
ahhh ok thats answered it, I think.

I know the difference between goofy and regular, but I was under the impression that your dominant foot should be at the front.....hence why I thought a lefty would always start riding regular, and righty would start goofy. (obviously unless riding switch, I'm just talking about, starting out, back to basics kinda stuff)

From what your saying, the dominant foot "normally" is at the back. so a lefty would "normally" start to ride goofy?

The thing that actually triggered this was.... I have learnt to ride regular as when I took my first lessons, the instructor said, as I am left foot dominant, I should ride regular. (which is meant my dominant foot was forward)

When I was speaking with another guy who snowboards, and I told him I'm left footed, he said, 'oh you ride goofy'... (which obviously suggests my dominant foot should be at the back)

its spiralled from there..

Thanks for letting me bore you to death nonetheless..
yeah your instructor needs to get hit with ski poles. normally people ride with their dominant foot in the back, but there are few cases where it's easier for them to have their dominant foot forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah your instructor needs to get hit with ski poles. normally people ride with their dominant foot in the back, but there are few cases where it's easier for them to have their dominant foot forward.
appreciate your help, and patience.

on the plus side, at least I can effectively already ride switch. Should be easy for me to go and practice goofy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dominant foot goes in the back.

Have you ever tried skating with weak leg in the back? Hard as fuk!
I think I was just going down the path that, as most steering is done with the front foot, you'd want your dominant foot at the front... my right foot is pathetic so it will be interesting seeing what happens!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've typed this numerous times, but back in the late 80's early 90's I learned riding as goofy. I push mongo, and did some martial arts as a kid so at the time I didn't have a true left or right leg dominance. back then they would use the push method, stand behind you and push you forward. w/e leg you used to catch yourself was your dominant foot and that was the stance. in Tae Kwon Do, you're normally standing on one leg to kick, so my left leg had better balance and that is what I use to catch myself with (still is the case). they put me in a goofy extreme forward stance(pure guess but it was something like +30/+12), gave me a basic lesson, and sent me on my way. by the end of the day I was riding switch with that extreme forward stance. 2nd day on the hill, I still thought I was goofy so I was riding goofy. but this time I had them turn my bindings into more of a duck stance, was riding both ways no problem. 3rd time out I realized that I'm regular and put the bindings for a regular stance. had no troubles riding. 4-5-6th times out was riding regular barely any switch. 10 years later forgot how to ride switch and regret not practicing it.

tl;dr: keep practicing switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've typed this numerous times, but back in the late 80's early 90's I learned riding as goofy. I push mongo, and did some martial arts as a kid so at the time I didn't have a true left or right leg dominance. back then they would use the push method, stand behind you and push you forward. w/e leg you used to catch yourself was your dominant foot and that was the stance. in Tae Kwon Do, you're normally standing on one leg to kick, so my left leg had better balance and that is what I use to catch myself with (still is the case). they put me in a goofy extreme forward stance(pure guess but it was something like +30/+12), gave me a basic lesson, and sent me on my way. by the end of the day I was riding switch with that extreme forward stance. 2nd day on the hill, I still thought I was goofy so I was riding goofy. but this time I had them turn my bindings into more of a duck stance, was riding both ways no problem. 3rd time out I realized that I'm regular and put the bindings for a regular stance. had no troubles riding. 4-5-6th times out was riding regular barely any switch. 10 years later forgot how to ride switch and regret not practicing it.

tl;dr: keep practicing switch.

Nice! I guess its slightly different for me in determining my dominant foot as I'm entirely left footed, always have been. I play football (soccer) and Im ridiculed for never ever using my right foot.

Would you suggest "perfecting" one stance first, or just keep mixing it up?

Finally, what is the reasoning behind having the dominant foot at the back, better balance or something?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's another doozie!!.... i ride regular, skate regular, surf regular. But when i'm on a frozen lake or frozen sidewalk and run and slide, i slide goofy......figure that one out!!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
think of it like billiards or golf (inversely if you're left handed). your left guides you while your right has the power and stability. same with string instruments, the left does all the technical work, while your right does most of the steady work. (yes I know it's not a good 100% analogy because there are such things as bowing, and plucking and other stuff.)

while boarding both my legs get beat to shit, it's never just 1. normally my right leg (dominant) dies, then within a couple minutes my left leg goes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts