Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY FELLOW SNOWBOARDERS!

I want to take this opportunity to tell you all about an amazing new technology that has been developed from Toronto based startup Domio!

Domio - The worlds first helmet conduction audio system designed to be safe and deliver a surreal sound experience for all riders.

Created by Co-Founders Bart Lipski and Sebastian Koper, out of a desire to create a device that allows any helmet wearing athlete to listen to high quality music without the need for annoying wires or helmet inserts.

The device itself is designed to be simple and straightforward to use. Simply pair the device with your phone, stick the mount onto your helmet with the provided adhesive, click the unit into place and get ready to shred the slopes while listening to your favourite Taylor Swift song!

Audio controls have been carefully designed to ensure the user is not wasting their valuable ride time fiddling in their pockets to take their phones out or having to take the helmet off to change the song or raise the volume. By turning the outer rim of the device you can adjust volume and one single button on top controls on and off functions as well as pause, play, next and previous. It can't get any simpler than that!

Check out the official Domio launch video to see it in action!

https://youtu.be/uLEFKat89L4

It is superior to existing products for three reasons:

Ease of Use – Domio is mounted to the helmet and standard music controls can easily be changed without fishing around within the helmet or the pockets

Safety – Unlike sport earbuds or speaker inserts, Domio keeps the ear unobstructed and the user far more aware of their surrounding

Immersive Sound – Domio uses a proprietary way to transform the helmet into an immersive and amplified sound experience

We are also developing an app that auto-calibrates Domio to the helmet it's used on - this ensures a tuned, high quality sound.

We are excited to get Domio into the hands of all music loving riders right away and we would love to hear feedback and reactions from the athletes who are going to be using the device first hand. If you have any questions or comments, please, feel free to let us know on the thread and we will be happy to oblige.

We encourage everyone to take a look at our website which can be found at domio[dot]co if you want to learn more about Domio, or see fan reactions at the GoPro Mountain Games in Colorado.

Domio is available for preorder now for $49 US ($99 US regular price) for a limited time. Expect units to start shipping in the fall of 2016.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Well, you didn't read the rules.

How many different helmet constructions did you test this on? Hardshell, in mold, helmets with lots of vents, multi impact softshell helmets? Is it easily removable when I bash my head on it and it breaks my helmet? Is it impact rated? Waterproof?

Also your main competitor is probably outdoor tech selling Bluetooth chips for $119 that don't glue to your helmet. Honestly this is a product solving a problem that doesn't exist. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you didn't read the rules.

How many different helmet constructions did you test this on? Hardshell, in mold, helmets with lots of vents, multi impact softshell helmets? Is it easily removable when I bash my head on it and it breaks my helmet? Is it impact rated? Waterproof?

Also your main competitor is probably outdoor tech selling Bluetooth chips for $119 that don't glue to your helmet. Honestly this is a product solving a problem that doesn't exist. Good luck.
We have tested Domio on just about every make and model of helmet that you can think of. Solid, lots of vents, everything. It is very easy to remove the device from the helmet. The mount is attached to the helmet via adhesive, but the unit itself locks onto the mount via a twisting motion. That means if you want to switch to a different helmet, all you have to do is lock the device onto the mount on the other helmet. Domio is shock resistant and waterproof.

I highly recommend you check us out at domio.co for more information, as well as to see fans react to using the Domio unit at the GoPro Mountain Games in Vail Colorado.

You can also check us out on Instagram @domio.one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it looks like someone's slapped ya upside the head with a hockey puck and some super glue!!!!!
We are currently working on making the device as slim as possible. The problem is that slimmer devices tend to have far inferior battery performance. We want to make sure you don't have to go without music on the slopes because your Domio battery died.

Check out our official launch video on our website domio.co. You can also see reactions of fans using the unit for the first time (its a pretty amazing experience)

The video provides a pretty good idea of what the device looks like on the helmet.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The linky in the original post no worky for me.............if that's the kind of attention to detail we can expect........no thanks..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The linky in the original post no worky for me.............if that's the kind of attention to detail we can expect........no thanks..........
Unfortunately we are too new to this forum to post links yet. You will have to copy and paste the link into your address bar in order to go to the video. We can assure you that the video is well worth your time!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
It is a very interesting device
I have a few questions around safety of the footprint on helmet, and also usability Many competitions do not allow the Gopro on helmet due to the footprint of the mount and the go pro potentially getting caught in the mesh fence and causing kids to get entrapped. as others have posted that the footprint is intrusive. what does it look like with the puck removed and just the mount. Is the puck removable? also
Microphone. the second main use of my chips is to not have to take phone out to answer the phone. Is this just a speaker or is it also a headset. If the former than you need to rethink that, as I would not buy the product without headset capability, as the chips do that.

charging? how is that done?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a very interesting device
I have a few questions around safety of the footprint on helmet, and also usability Many competitions do not allow the Gopro on helmet due to the footprint of the mount and the go pro potentially getting caught in the mesh fence and causing kids to get entrapped. as others have posted that the footprint is intrusive. what does it look like with the puck removed and just the mount. Is the puck removable? also
Microphone. the second main use of my chips is to not have to take phone out to answer the phone. Is this just a speaker or is it also a headset. If the former than you need to rethink that, as I would not buy the product without headset capability, as the chips do that.

charging? how is that done?

thanks
Very good questions larrytbull!

In terms of the mount, we have taken great care to ensure that the mount is low profile enough so that it should not be able to be ensnared onto anything. Even with the Domio unit attached, it will be pretty hard to get the unit or the mount entangled onto anything while boarding. Any yes, the Domio unit is completely removable with a simple twist motion to unlock it from the mount.

In terms of a mic, we understand that a lot of people want to use this device to make calls with via their cellphone. That is why we are going to be releasing two versions of Domio. The first version (this version) will not feature a mic, and will only be able to playback music from your phone or other bluetooth enabled device. The second version will feature a mic and will have all the hands-free functionality you would expect on the device. The calling-enabled Domio will be announced at the end of July so stay tuned!

Charging will be done via a charging cable that will come with the device. To charge Domio you will simply have to unmount the device from your helmet and plug it in via the charging cable. Domio is going to come with a 1600mAh battery, and with 7hrs of battery life for a typical user, you should not expect to have to interrupt your snowboarding session to plug your device in.

If you have any more questions please, don't hesitate to ask! You can also check out our website domio.co for more information :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
cool concept...too ugly

Its got to be smaller/concealed...i could NEVER see myself rocking that big as orb on my helmet...i bet it does sound really good...like surround sound. i would definately be interested if it wasnt such an eye sore...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ever consider integrating it into a helmet? i just cant get over having it sticking off my head.....also what if you fell directly on it wouldn't it crank your neck akwardly if it didnt detatch?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts