Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Grew up riding BMX and Mountain Bikes in Northern Michigan. Took a long break and am back into it for the past couple years. Mostly ride what would be considered XC and have done a couple XC races on a hardtail. Picked up the attached this spring to get into some enduro racing and gravity stuff here in michigan. Or at least try. Not a ton of elevation in Michigan, but there is some pretty rowdy stuff in the Upper Peninsula. Rode Oakridge in Oregon last summer and it reminded me of the UP a bit (obviously more elevation).

I've found, for me, it's the best way to keep my legs strong year round. This past season for snowboarding my legs were good to go on day 1 and I attribute that almost all to spending the summer and fall mountain biking.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Grew up riding BMX and Mountain Bikes in Northern Michigan. Took a long break and am back into it for the past couple years. Mostly ride what would be considered XC and have done a couple XC races on a hardtail. Picked up the attached this spring to get into some enduro racing and gravity stuff here in michigan. Or at least try. Not a ton of elevation in Michigan, but there is some pretty rowdy stuff in the Upper Peninsula. Rode Oakridge in Oregon last summer and it reminded me of the UP a bit (obviously more elevation).

I've found, for me, it's the best way to keep my legs strong year round. This past season for snowboarding my legs were good to go on day 1 and I attribute that almost all to spending the summer and fall mountain biking.
Ok, I'm burning up google with this thread. So enduro is XC with stages, but the bikes are XC, correct? Damn this sport has changed. :embarrased1:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, I'm burning up google with this thread. So enduro is XC with stages, but the bikes are XC, correct? Damn this sport has changed. :embarrased1:
I don't think the term enduro, when talking about the race format, has anything to do with the type of bikes. Enduro racing is just a race with timed downhill sections and untimed "transfer stages" in between.

People talk about "enduro bikes" when talking about bikes that would do well in this format (downhill oriented, but can still climb up to the next stage).

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all as it is definitely confusing at first.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a hard tail xc for trails near my house and a downhill specific bike for resorts. Started bmxing as a kid, went downhilling in 98 at killington for the first time. I often describe dh as snowboarding and dirt bike riding put together.
And yes, falls on a bike suck waaaaay more than on a board.

·
Super Moderator
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, took downhill lessons today at Whistler. It was a lot of fun. Not as addictive as snowboarding, at least so far, but I think it might scratch the itch during the off-season. I'm looking into costs now. I'll probably buy a used bike for my first season.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
34 Posts
Holy poop! Hell no. It was sunny yesterday.

I'll have to look into Strava. It does winter and summer sports, right? Slopes is winter only, so that may be a problem now.
Strava is pretty much everything GPS tracks. I auto-upload through Garmin Connect. The new snowboard apps are good, the data eliminates lift time.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2378350982

41 - 50 of 50 Posts