Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any early openers this year? Looks like a few mountains have given up the push lately to open late october/early november.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I meant in the north east. Got a few buddies who've been riding A-basin though. Fucking sucks we have to wait another month out here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't heard anything substantial yet. I read somewhere that Sunday River is thinking about blowing snow with the cold nights that are in the forecast, but I doubt they'll be able to open early. It'd be nice if they did though, I haven't been up there in a while, and apparently they have a new trail for their park that should make it pretty sweet. Everything looks like it'll be the typical thanksgiving - first week of december opening.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Eastern US is supposed to be cold and stormy next 2 weeks. Maybe u guys can get something goin.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Anyone know of any early openers this year? Looks like a few mountains have given up the push lately to open late october/early november.
It's almost always Killington. I rode there on November 10 a few years ago...only 11 trails, advanced only, manmade snow, but it was actually really, really good. Especially since there was almost nobody there.

I generally HATE Killington, and they are notorious for lying about their conditions, but they take pride in being the first-open, last-closed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Killington is making snow this week, my best guess is that they open the first week of November.
Hard freeze all the way down here in CT this week. VT ought to be cold enough to start getting a good base down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Killington opened first week of November.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard freeze all the way down here in CT this week. VT ought to be cold enough to start getting a good base down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Killington opened first week of November.
Yeah man I hope so. I'm practically ready for a road trip right now.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
If any of you CT guys want to carpool up to VT this year let me know. I'm in the New Haven area and do day trips on good pow days. I generally head over to Killington and have a great snow vehicle.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Killington is definitely one of the most likely first places to open, but I recall Sunday River has given them a run for the money the last couple seasons. I think last year Killington did an early open in mid-October just for season pass holders, then opened for real November 5.

Here's their impressive history of opening days though:

Killington Historical Weather

I usually start my season at Killington also.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If any of you CT guys want to carpool up to VT this year let me know. I'm in the New Haven area and do day trips on good pow days. I generally head over to Killington and have a great snow vehicle.
I can't post this enough...JOIN THE CT SKI COUNCIL. They don't care if you snowboard. There are 42 local chapters in CT, so there is probably one near you. We belong to Meriden Ski Club, $35 a year -- it pays for itself the very first trip to the mountain, as lift tix are usually $35-45. It's great if you like to ride a different mountain every weekend, but you are limited (if you can call it that) to their calendar. The good part is that there is always a cheap ticket even on holidays and blackouts. And they do a few Stowe deals with multi-day passes that are cheaper than a usual 1-day pass. Also, if you don't want to drive, they do frequent bus trips for wicked cheap, including tix. Best "secret" around! Here is the calendar for the 2013-2014 season...

http://www.meridenski.com/CSC_Days_2013-14.pdf

BTW, another benefit -- shhhh -- the Meriden Ski Club has a lodge at Mt. Snow. I've never actually seen it, but it doesn't matter. The point is, since they are owners at Mt. Snow, as a club member you never have to pay more than $49, even if it they aren't on the events calendar that day. Holidays, weekends, whenever. It's a great fall-back for when you can't make it up to Jay Peak or Stowe but just want to ride! They don't tell anyone about it, but I just did. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Stratton tweeted out they are projecting November 27th opening day. Depending on conditions (obviously) I might take a bus trip on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts