Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for many years. I ride mostly on the east coast so I have to deal with ice. I have a gnu space case for park riding already and am looking for a great all mountain board that has good speed behind it as well as stable riding. I have a lib tech trs 2012 which I think is amazing but it has a excluded base which I feel is slowing me down but it rides awesome. I really want something like the trs but faster. I am considering a new trs cause of the TNT base also have been looking into the lib tech pheonix series. Like the slash atv reviews a lot but I am afraid it's too geared at park. K2 turbo dream got me going but I hear its a power board. Side note I am 6'3" 220 pounds. I ride very hard and fast. Please help i have been killing myself with research trying to find the right board.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have been riding for many years. I ride mostly on the east coast so I have to deal with ice. I have a gnu space case for park riding already and am looking for a great all mountain board that has good speed behind it as well as stable riding. I have a lib tech trs 2012 which I think is amazing but it has a excluded base which I feel is slowing me down but it rides awesome. I really want something like the trs but faster. I am considering a new trs cause of the TNT base also have been looking into the lib tech pheonix series. Like the slash atv reviews a lot but I am afraid it's too geared at park. K2 turbo dream got me going but I hear its a power board. Side note I am 6'3" 220 pounds. I ride very hard and fast. Please help i have been killing myself with research trying to find the right board.
Burton custom X is a classic choice for going fast - as a bigger guy the stiffness may also help. Keep it sharp and it has good edge hold even on ice.

Otherwise maybe something with magnetraction.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Smokin' KT22 would be worth a look, burly and has mag for the ice.

Edit: You can also get it in regular or hybrid camber.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Jones All Mountain does very well in the East Coast. I have been using it here and it holds up particularly well on ice. It may not be the best board for 'hard and fast' but it's a great all-round board that holds up at high speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking into a burton custom x hardcore when I bought my lib. I am just concerned about it handling the ice. Magnatraction is pretty much necessary on the ice coast. It does seem like a kick ass board though. This smokin kt22 looks really good def going to have to look into it more. Never even heard of the brand before so it's pretty cool to see a new option. I remember reading something about the jones board and the carbon making it shitty as far as choppyness goes. Do u ride a jones?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My Never Summer SL hauls serious ass and holds a better edge on the ice coast then all the magna traction boards I have rode. And it's a confidence builder due to how stable it is and how well it ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my good friends rides a proto ct. I rode it last year once and really liked the way it handles. My biggest complaint about it and his too after riding my board is the chatter on that thing. It rides really nice but it's def choppier than my trs. Other than that awesome riding board! How is the sl though in your opinion as far as that goes? They don't have magnatraction but they have something in there that makes it nice and grippy on ice. I hear that the sl is def leaning more toward all mountain and the proto being a all mountain board geared at park too. So many choices makes this super hard to decide.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I ride mostly at blue mountain Ontario where we seem to have more ice than snow and I find that burton's cambered boards (at least the ones I've ridden) handle the ice we have here pretty well as long as you keep them sharp.

I can't imagine that there's any board out there that you would say to yourself, 'wicked, there's tons of ice, gonna take my never summer Zamboni and kill it today'. :laugh:

I was out at whistler last year and from mid mountain down one day it was a sheet of ice as it had rained overnight and then froze as the temp fall that morning. My buddy rode a custom X and I had a Vapor and we were tracking very well, and reasonably comfortably compared to some others riding with us on non cambered boards.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
One of my good friends rides a proto ct. I rode it last year once and really liked the way it handles. My biggest complaint about it and his too after riding my board is the chatter on that thing. It rides really nice but it's def choppier than my trs. Other than that awesome riding board! How is the sl though in your opinion as far as that goes? They don't have magnatraction but they have something in there that makes it nice and grippy on ice. I hear that the sl is def leaning more toward all mountain and the proto being a all mountain board geared at park too. So many choices makes this super hard to decide.
I have the proto ct and just bought the HD. They changed the profile on HD to cut down on chatter without sacrificing the more playful ride. I love my SL and I compare its ride to driving a Cadillac. It's a strong smooth ride with excellent edge hold on ice. It's rocker in the middle has a good flex for pressing and butters and the damp camber outside the binding makes it real lively when I hook turns and ride trees or hauling ass trying to beat a friend.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Where do you ride out east? Sugarloaf for me. I feel you on the need for some sort of ice grip tech. Magnatraction on Lib/Gnu and vario on the NS boards are my favorites, and hold the best in my opinion.

The TNT base on the current TRS is still an extruded base I believe. The GNU Riders Choice is very similar but slightly higher end. It has a sintered base and similar flex profile as the TRS. If you wanted to go stiffer, you could look at the T. Rice (esp if you have size 12+ feet).

Do you want a twin board for riding switch? Otherwise I would look at a directional board.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in Vermont a lot and like once a year ill make a west coast trip. I thought the TNT base is super fast? Like faster than even sinthered maybe I'm wrong but that's what I always thought. I think the tnt just needs to be waxed all the time? well if anyone knows for sure that answer please chime in. I don't ride switch much so a directional would be fine with me. Gnu rider choice is def a good board I don't know if you can say its higher end over the trs. To me they seem very identical to each other. My trs maxes out at 55-60 mph that's pushing the shit out of it can not go any faster which sucks cause it's such a great ride it feels like you are riding too slow. Now the t rice is another great board! But I feel like its geared more toward park although it is supposed to be a aggressive ass board. I really liked the idea of the t rice right awsy but def feared it was too parkish and would loss the all mountain agresive feel. I've been reading there are a few salomans out there that move like hell but are choppy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smokin' KT22 would be worth a look, burly and has mag for the ice.

Edit: You can also get it in regular or hybrid camber.
Sudden death I saw u post about the smokin boards which was pretty cool cause I never heard of them and you were right out of there whole line the kt22 would be best for me. But is this board more for a powder oriented rider? That's the vibe I got off it but it does have magnatraction so idk. And cause u made a good suggestion I looked into some of your past stuff and I saw you talking about the signal UNO. U really think that thing rides like a SL? If so amazing deal! I'm not cheap but if its really comparable I'm all about saving a buck or two

·
Registered
762 Posts
The full camber KT22 would rip up anything the East could throw at it, the hybrid would offer more float. I had the MIP which is one of their softer park boards and now I'm riding the Mailorder Bride. They aren't making it anymore but it is similar to the Superpark only flat camber. It eats up ice, and if I can get a deal at the end of this year I hope to grab the KT22. The Status Uno is pretty much the SL. Same specs, made in the same factory just with I think a couple less features and different name/graphics. If you can find one in your size it would be a good choice. Way more playful than the Smokin' or the T. Rice but not as aggressive.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I'm in Vermont a lot and like once a year ill make a west coast trip. I thought the TNT base is super fast? Like faster than even sinthered maybe I'm wrong but that's what I always thought. I think the tnt just needs to be waxed all the time? well if anyone knows for sure that answer please chime in. I don't ride switch much so a directional would be fine with me. Gnu rider choice is def a good board I don't know if you can say its higher end over the trs. To me they seem very identical to each other. My trs maxes out at 55-60 mph that's pushing the shit out of it can not go any faster which sucks cause it's such a great ride it feels like you are riding too slow. Now the t rice is another great board! But I feel like its geared more toward park although it is supposed to be a aggressive ass board. I really liked the idea of the t rice right awsy but def feared it was too parkish and would loss the all mountain agresive feel. I've been reading there are a few salomans out there that move like hell but are choppy.
I think you've got a lot of this backward.
The TRS is more parkish than the TRice. The TRice is definitely the more aggressive board.

Sintered bases are faster than TNT bases, and have to be waxed frequently.

Yes, The Salomon Burner is a very fast board. If you want more twinish, the XLT is a very good fast board. The edge hold might not be enough for you though.

From reading your riding description, I'd suggest the new Rossignol XV.
Xavier de la Rue's new board has got to be damn aggressive. AND it has magnetraction for edge grip.:thumbsup:
I think you should look into that.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
TRS has TNT base which is NOT a sintered base. Lib touts it as a step up from an extruded but not needing to be waxed like a sintered bc it is infused with flouro compounds to make it go fast without the need to wax. I like to wax so I go with sintered and I feel they are faster when I am pushing to the max than the extruded counterparts I have rode. Plus they sail though the flats and I hate getting slowed down in the flats. I was trying to decide between the TRS narrow vs the B pro last year and they were very similar boards (TRS graphics were sweeter tho) and I went for the B pro bc of the sintered base and I kept hearing TNT could be slow on some years. Since you already have the TRS which they claim is the fastest unwaxed base I'd try something new and see how that does but keep in mind if you do get a sintered base you will need to wax it to get that top performance.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I think you've got a lot of this backward.
The TRS is more parkish than the TRice. The TRice is definitely the more aggressive board.

Sintered bases are faster than TNT bases, and have to be waxed frequently.

Yes, The Salomon Burner is a very fast board. If you want more twinish, the XLT is a very good fast board. The edge hold might not be enough for you though.

From reading your riding description, I'd suggest the new Rossignol XV.
Xavier de la Rue's new board has got to be damn aggressive. AND it has magnetraction for edge grip.:thumbsup:
I think you should look into that.
+1 on pretty much all of that.

And the TRS has had the TNT base pretty much forever - the OP's current deck has it as well. And yes, it is an extruded base but that does not really limit top speed - if you cannot get the deck over 60mph it is a technique issue, not a limitation of the board.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Magnatraction is pretty much necessary on the ice coast.
How many BX/race boards have magnetraction?!? :dunno:

Personal preference, but I'd think that if it's so good, all the race boards would have it now. They're moving a lot faster and need better edge hold on ice/hardpack than us!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
How many BX/race boards have magnetraction?!? :dunno:

Personal preference, but I'd think that if it's so good, all the race boards would have it now. They're moving a lot faster and need better edge hold on ice/hardpack than us!
I agree, but how many BXers only sharpen their edges once or twice a season like most casual snowboarders? The grip tech shines because it doesn't need to be sharpened nearly as much and can hold an edge when dull relative to a BX camber board.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts