Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm on the Ikon Pass and was looking for East Coast resort recommendations. I'll be visiting family in Florida around Christmas and would like to check out a resort over there. For reference, I'm in California, so I go to Mammoth often and favorite resorts are Park City and Aspen (Snowmass and Buttermilk). I'm an old man, who likes cruising and free riding, no park.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
All the resorts that have been recommended would require a 20hr drive from florida, or a flight from florida that would be similar to flying to colorado, utah, etc.

The closest ski areas to florida are in Tennessee and north carolina. The resort in tennesee is cool due to the town being a major tourist destination (ober gatlinburg) but its tiny. north carolinas mountains have better elevation and a bit more vert, but your going to be riding frozen manmade or slushy manmade.

If for some reason you would fly from florida to the northeast, your going to want to make it worth your while. here are my reccomendations. Not all are ikon, but its going to be somewhat worth the travel hassle.

Jay peak is the furthest north in vermont, and gets the most amount of snow in the east.
Sugarloaf is pretty remote and pretty big, even has cat skiing.
Saddleback still gets good snow and holds onto it well.

some thoughts on mountains others have mentioned.
Killington is a few 1500 foot vert mountains spread horizontally. If you go here, check pico.
sugarbush is good, but i would say my reccomendations are a bit more destination worthy.
Sunday river is similar to killington. spread horizontally instead of vertically.

Remember, the past few seasons in the northeast, the further north the better.

Edit: If you fly into burlington, VT you can hang out in burlington which is a super rad city, and then ride at bolton valley. Bolton Valley feels like quintessential vermont skiing and riding. Narrow, winding trails. They get decent snow too, low crowds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts