Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

End of season deal on NS SL

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  johnnyt 
#1 ·
Talk me down...or not. I'm currently riding a NS Titan. Stiff, fast freeride board. I was at Mount Snow yesterday (GREAT Spring conditions, btw) and stopped by the snowboard shop. They had all their boards on seasons-end clearance for 40% off. That would put the SL at about $300. I almost pulled the trigger, not because I need a new board, but to start a quiver. The SL is a rocker and camber board, more of an all mountain board. Trouble is, the guy in the shop really didn't give a rat's ass about helping anyone out and I didn't get to ask any questions.

How much difference should I expect? I don't do park (other than to ride through), I pretty much like bombing it down the mountains as fast as I can. That's why the stiffness of the Titan is great. When not bombing it, I prefer "surfing" with lots of carving turns. Would the SL be a waste? Would I have to significantly alter riding style? Or would the SL actually be better situated for surf-style riding? I might drive back to Snow to pick it up...but then, I'd need another set of bindings...hmmm...$$$

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Talk you down I shall.
But first, you seem to be somewhat confused about your riding - 'surfing' and carving are about as different as it gets.
Still the SL does not really make sense either way:
- If it is really a surfy, tail-ride board (esp. for pow) that you want, then you should look for something like a Burton Fish, a YES 420, maybe a Jones Hovercraft, etc. NS unfortunately does not really have anything in that category.
- If you mean a carve-happy board that lets you draw lots of nice ribbons all the way down the mountain, then you would be better off with a more cambered deck - for instance your current Titan will be better at that than the SL.

In short, while the SL a great board, it is not a great fit for what you are describing at all. Also, it does not really make sense to get an SL as a quiver board anyway, as it pretty much is the opposite - a super versatile quiver killer that is quite good at many things (including park, which you do not do) but a master of none.
Exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Except for my beginner board, a cheap Liquid/K2 package deal from Sports Authority, I've only ridden really stiff freeride boards. I was just thinking about trying something different.

As for what I mean by "surfy," maybe I got the terms wrong. I grew up surfing...when there is the right snow, I love to ride like I'm surfing the slop I grew up with in Cocoa Beach. Lots of tight, snappy turns, kicking the tail off the ridges on the side of the trails. But also, when there is a good line, I like to really get it up on edge and make wide carving turns.

But mostly, if the way in front of me is open and relatively clean, I like to point it downhill and charge. I LOVE my Titan...I've just been curious about riding a rocker/camber board, and mixing it up a little. The price seemed right, but I didn't want to drop the cash without knowing anything about the board. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.