Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Hated

Votes: 9 37.5%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I saw one of these yet, this season sure was different than normal. I thought it'd be cool to have a thread to reflect on the 20/21 season, vent about stuff, etc.

Personally, this season was very inconsistent. The season was short, starting an entire month later than last year, and ending a week earlier than last year. But the snow was really good in the Chicago area (for the midwest) at least. Since my home hill shut down early, I was able to explore some places that aren't nearly as close. A lot of hills here were doing special events and deals because they had a good year. Cascade Mountain let you go for free if you had a season pass from anywhere else. Tyrol Basin had some really cheap all day tickets. I ended up going to Cascade for my first time this year, it's the closest I've been to going out west while not being on a real mountain. Lots of different runs and different choices going down the hill, most midwestern resorts you take a straight line lift up the hill and have only a couple choices, maybe there's a "run" that just connects the next run a hundred feet over.

I think we had three "powder" days in the midwest, something that hasn't happened in a very long time.

The hill was filled with noobs, I think some of the worst offenders I can think of were both a skier and a snowboarder. One run at my hill had moguls in the middle, with two narrow paths to avoid them. It's Wisconsin, it's pretty much always some snow on top of solid ice, both the skier and snowboarder went down within a minute of each other, plowing all the snow off.

Lines were horrible, we could share a quad lift with one other person if we wanted. The noobs used the singles line to cut in front of everyone, and then there were people who didn't understand the singles line and would not join you on the lift, making two empty chairs go up right after another. It was only a few weeks before they got rid of the singles lines, and then the lifties would have to spend their mornings (even weekday ones) trying to organize people on the lifts.

I guess just vent, share your experiences this season, etc. Do you think 21-22 will be like this? I can't decide, either there's going to be a huge recession and $4/gal gas and everyone is going to start mass selling their snowboard stuff this fall because they can't afford to go or there's a ton of new people who will keep snowboarding and skiing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's like sex. Even when it's bad, it's better than nothing.

But yeah. Not a season I'd want to repeat.
Sometimes you get the VD from a $15 hooker from a Denver Dennys, so I think I can say that I would've been better without

Reactions: Jimi7

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Conditions have been all time in the PNW. At one point I got tired of powder because I missed riding good groomers and park.

I made the right call buying multiple season passes locally so I never missed a day due to reservations or holiday crowds.

Stevens handled everything poorly but Crystal has been amazing. Even had a few good days at Alpental.

Hoping to do some summer riding on Mt Hood and there's still plenty of spring riding left. As long as there's a jump line somewhere I'm happy.

Next year is Ikon pass, I'm saving up vacation days to spend a week or three traveling for that.

Oh, and tomorrow is day 51 and counting...

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
Blasphemy! I'll give an update on May 25th... I should be able to take a fair bit of time off work in May so aiming for a minimum of 15 slushy days that month before we close. Might break 100 in a single season for the first time ever 🤞

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fully expected there would be another shutdown of "non-essential" businesses in my area, including ski/snowboard areas, and that I would have been grateful for getting out 2 or 3 times. However, the shutdown never happened, and I got out much more than I expected to. All that, combined with good natural snowfall in early-mid Dec., late Jan., and in Feb., turned this season into one that exceeded my modest expectations. For that I am thankful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our season was shut down in Ontario at the end of December. It didn't look like we were going to get a season at all, but amazingly we were able to open on Feb 16th.

Day one was a pretty epic powder day for Ontario. Managed to squeeze in about 20 days or so since then.

No such thing as a bad season if you get to ride!

·
Registered
555 Posts
NH checking in. Better than I expected, for sure.

Snow was better than it should have been. It was a very light year for snowfall, but no real rain/freeze or thaw/freeze events (until late) so groomers were killer. Enough stuff landed in the woods, but just enough.

Little weird getting used to a mask, and getting comfortable standing in line, but it came. Had a blast doing parking lot bbqs and hidey hole picnics, but I miss my bartenders.

Numbers were down a bit by my observation, and I didn't notice any real influx of chuckleheads. Just the normal chuckleheads. Avoiding lift lines plays a big role in where I ride, though, and I was pretty successful this year.

I'm going to get another 2-3 days this week then off to the in-laws Easter weekend. We'll see what's left after that. I'll definitely consider it a bonus if it happens. Then I might try this split boarding thing. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm at day 28 and think that I might reach 30 if I don't stop here. I've been following restrictions as much as possible and got very lucky with conditions in the poconos this season. Pretty much a season for the books out here. Managed to get out to NH and then VT for a min when they changed restrictions as well so can't really complain.

I think I got like 25-30 days my first season and ~20-25 my second season. This is my third season and I've honestly progressed a ton over the last couple of months so really can't complain. Not really sure what next season's going to look like, but I don't know if I have it in me to do this much driving to my local resort 1.5hrs away each way. Got about 16 days there this season with a bunch of night riding and man does it wear on you over time.

Moving forward, I'd call anything over 20 days a solid season till I have more control over my schedule. I think I would have broken 30 last season since we still had 7-8 days at jay left the week everything shut down... so there was that. If our vacation had been 1 week earlier we would have gotten the goods. That's the story for just about everyone though!

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping to balance things with cycling a bit more next season. I lost too much form by trying to go night riding as often as I did.

That's awesome for an adult functioning normally in society. Or did I just assume too much... :D

Quick! Edit your post before it goes straight to his derelict head!

·
Registered
317 Posts
It was a great season here. Not enough snow to allow the season to last another 2 weeks as usual though.
31 days (only week-ends here) which is a great season for me.

Only things I’d change are:
More snow
Less people

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
It was my best pow season ever. Counted 23 pow days so far VS. 1 groomer day. Total days out are low as we didn't drive to the mountains when there was no pow to avoid crowds as much as possible by skipping queuing for gondolas for groomers only. Weather gods were with us this year, for sure.

I have to say tho that I'm over riding crowded groomers - pandemic or not - meanwhile. That one groomer day was a stormy cold day where lifts and slopes were empty, and then, it was actually a blast to ride those empty groomers, to carve and charge. But on nice sunny days? The circus on groomers is more and more not for me. I rather bootpack 2hrs for 1 run in halfway decent BC conditions than spend half a day in a lift queue and try to slalom through the crowds.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
With the temperature hitting 20C today here in Ontario, the season is toast. @Needmoresnow managed to double my days as I was able to get a total of 10 in. But every one of those 10 was a great day. Now only one of them was powder, but the balance of them were groomers in great shape and yo-yo riding. The hill had restricted the # of bodies on the hill and the lift lines ( or lack of ) reflected that. Often had runs to myself. Even though it was my lowest day total in 10 years, it was great to have a least a bit of a season verses nothing at all. Fingers crossed that we get back to normal for all of next season. Time to brush out boards and slap on a layer of wax for the summer

·
Registered
147 Posts
With the temperature hitting 20C today here in Ontario, the season is toast. @Needmoresnow managed to double my days as I was able to get a total of 10 in. But every one of those 10 was a great day. Now only one of them was powder, but the balance of them were groomers in great shape and yo-yo riding. The hill had restricted the # of bodies on the hill and the lift lines ( or lack of ) reflected that. Often had runs to myself. Even though it was my lowest day total in 10 years, it was great to have a least a bit of a season verses nothing at all. Fingers crossed that we get back to normal for all of next season. Time to brush out boards and slap on a layer of wax for the summer
Where abouts do you normally ride? I may try to get to Blue this week for one last outting. They have a pretty decent base still from what I've heard.

I really didn't mind the way things were handled this year after the reopening. Like you said, little to no lift lines 👍

·
Registered
73 Posts
Blasphemy! I'll give an update on May 25th... I should be able to take a fair bit of time off work in May so aiming for a minimum of 15 slushy days that month before we close. Might break 100 in a single season for the first time ever 🤞
Agreed lol. I'm not done until Ullr is... Cmon you crazy God!😘

1 - 20 of 89 Posts