• Loved

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Hated

Votes: 9 37.5%
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have to say tho that I'm over riding crowded groomers - pandemic or not - meanwhile. That one groomer day was a stormy cold day where lifts and slopes were empty, and then, it was actually a blast to ride those empty groomers, to carve and charge. But on nice sunny days? The circus on groomers is more and more not for me. I rather bootpack 2hrs for 1 run in halfway decent BC conditions than spend half a day in a lift queue and try to slalom through the crowds.
Oh my! The amount of times I've had to holler at brazen riders/skiers this season... tisk tisk I feel the pain

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hoping for a couple more days. Overall this season was better than expected. I expected tragedy but mountains kept rolling as best can be. Lift lines were long only bc of reduced capacity. I know my way around the local hills to avoid noob crowds. Overall a good year for me. Missed beers after with friends but beers at home work too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was my first season, and I've got 14 days in. Will probably look to finish with 15 days under my belt. Started the season eating shit on bunny slopes. Now I find myself carving down blues, taking the occasional side hit, and buttering when on not so steep faces. It's been a bunch of fun, but definitely should have worked more on switch riding. I've been riding through a sprained ankle all season, so hopefully I can heal that up 100% LOL.

It was great; love being on the mountain. Can't wait to keep improving.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Still have about 6 weeks to go...then its slepping up the hill for another 2-3 months. So far have only about 25 days...but mid week to avoid the noobs on the weekends. Had about 3 days of crowds but mostly quick laps, some great groomer and pow days. Nothing against our northern neighbors not being able to visit...but all the southies can stay in home. Saw a ton of out of state plates in the parking lots.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Still have about 6 weeks to go...then its slepping up the hill for another 2-3 months.
Hopefully it sticks around long enough up high. Could use a couple days of touring to round off what's been a "meh" season in western Idaho. Is hoping🤞

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to say tho that I'm over riding crowded groomers - pandemic or not - meanwhile. That one groomer day was a stormy cold day where lifts and slopes were empty, and then, it was actually a blast to ride those empty groomers, to carve and charge. But on nice sunny days? The circus on groomers is more and more not for me. I rather bootpack 2hrs for 1 run in halfway decent BC conditions than spend half a day in a lift queue and try to slalom through the crowds.
Monday nights are for groomers. Not many people like to ride mondays so the resorts are almost empty. Freshly cut groomers, floodlights, blasting music while charging. Epic times!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
Monday nights are for groomers. Not many people like to ride mondays so the resorts are almost empty. Freshly cut groomers, floodlights, blasting music while charging. Epic times! View attachment 157965
Oh man, right, that looks awesome. I'd give something for an empty perfect corduroy like that!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Havent been on a board since November (snowdome), and havent seen the mountains in 13 months. So yeah. shit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's interesting to see such varied responses. People had seasons ranging from non-existent to pretty close to normal. It sounds like if you're in Europe, there's a good chance you didn't even get to go, if you're outside of Europe most places were a lot busier than normal, some weren't too bad though. Eivind så klart seems to be the luckiest one here, they stopped grooming our hill in the evenings because they had no where to put all the people and not avoid covid social distancing being broken. So any evening the hill would be completely trashed and destroyed.

At least the indoor places, while they were closed, have the chance to open year round if things get better.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
It's interesting to see such varied responses. People had seasons ranging from non-existent to pretty close to normal. It sounds like if you're in Europe, there's a good chance you didn't even get to go, if you're outside of Europe most places were a lot busier than normal, some weren't too bad though. Eivind så klart seems to be the luckiest one here, they stopped grooming our hill in the evenings because they had no where to put all the people and not avoid covid social distancing being broken. So any evening the hill would be completely trashed and destroyed.

At least the indoor places, while they were closed, have the chance to open year round if things get better.
In my area of the US (Mid atlantic/New England) what folks and places have really seen is a lot of people moving for the outdoors if they can afford it. I was talking to someone at Jay Peak that said he was living with his parents and working before COVID but Jay put out an advert to rent one of their condos for 15k for the entire season. It was possible for him to work remotely and he could afford the rent so he just went for it and doesn't have to deal with quarantine restrictions for the state. I heard the same when I was in Hunter in NY back in december. Folks that had the money and could work remotely just moved into the countryside where they had access to outdoor activities they enjoyed.

My 'local' hill has been limiting people's slope access to reduce crowding but they don't have enough staff to keep the lift lines good in the off-peak hours and it becomes a sheet show.

The US season has been phenomenal for those who didn't follow guidelines or those that had the money to relocate. We got very lucky in PA with the snow this year, then I got lucky in NY with the dump in Dec (no travel restrictions), then I got lucky with a recent trip to NH and then VT after they allowed vaccinated folks in without quarantining. With the size of many european countries, closing borders have meant pretty much closing access altogether.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,595 Posts
It's interesting to see such varied responses. People had seasons ranging from non-existent to pretty close to normal. It sounds like if you're in Europe, there's a good chance you didn't even get to go, if you're outside of Europe most places were a lot busier than normal, some weren't too bad though. .
EU, not Europe.
Switzerland (part of Europe, not part of EU) had a normal season. Well, normal besides the hoards of Dutch, Pole, Germans, French, Italians invading. Our lifts were spinning all season long.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Only on mondays. My local resort is always empty then and the groomers are always fresh cut. I guess people are still hung over or just don't feel like riding after work first day of the week so we got the place almost to our self every time. Rest of the week it's packed and weekends are mayhem. But Saturday and Sunday I go splitting so I don't care too much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
EU, not Europe.
Switzerland (part of Europe, not part of EU) had a normal season. Well, normal besides the hoards of Dutch, Pole, Germans, French, Italians invading. Our lifts were spinning all season long.
Same thing here luckily, Europe not EU. 😁

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pretty good season around these parts with a few weeks still left. Looks like I'll top out at around 40 days on hill (all midweek) which is about average...more than last year and no shutdowns, so happy about that. Rode switch most of the time, learned a few new tricks... pretty happy.

The good:
  • Only locals allowed accommodation bookings (through the resort at least), so the mountain seemed way less busy, especially during Christmas/Spring break.
  • Really great 'Locals' vibe all season. Kinda felt like seasons of the past (parking lot Breakfast/lunch/dinner tailgaters, everyone respecting the rules, and such).
  • Instead of lingering around the mountain/village areas, people tended to do there 2/3/4 hour session then take off, so parking was never an issue.

The bad:
- only thing I can think of is that they shut down night access to the runs. Night is a great time to lap the park or just get a few more riding hours in. I probably could have got 4 more days if it was open.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Only on mondays. My local resort is always empty then and the groomers are always fresh cut. I guess people are still hung over or just don't feel like riding after work first day of the week so we got the place almost to our self every time. Rest of the week it's packed and weekends are mayhem. But Saturday and Sunday I go splitting so I don't care too much.
Mondays and Fridays were the worst here. Chicago had no school on Monday and Friday most of the year.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts