Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

581 - 600 of 627 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Cool pic/vid. Your board is surely flexible,your buncing already while you push :) the place you are in gives me a bit of flashack when my family and i used to be stationed in Yokosuka, we lived in Negishi housing close to Yokohama and driving around to see other places was an awesome experience.btw,i bet that old man in your vid is probably in his 90's and still working on his yard, good people and we always felt safe back there.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You can see the epic flex Im getting with the 2.0 board. This flex is what makes it feel like a carving snowboard, its causing a really nice progressive rake change to the truck angles which really changes the feel of the turns.
Stiff decks cannot get close to the feeling.
The only problem Im having is actually bottoming out the deck on the road if I turn too hard so v3.0 is getting a big camber section between the feet. That should stop the bottom outs and hopefully add more pop as a bonus.
I want the flex to happen between the feet and the trucks rather than in the middle of the board.
View attachment 153955 View attachment 153956
Tried angled risers/wedges on trucks, and carbon or some hardwood stringer between the feet?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
You can see the epic flex Im getting with the 2.0 board. This flex is what makes it feel like a carving snowboard, its causing a really nice progressive rake change to the truck angles which really changes the feel of the turns.
Stiff decks cannot get close to the feeling.
The only problem Im having is actually bottoming out the deck on the road if I turn too hard so v3.0 is getting a big camber section between the feet. That should stop the bottom outs and hopefully add more pop as a bonus.
I want the flex to happen between the feet and the trucks rather than in the middle of the board.
View attachment 153955 View attachment 153956
I'm putting in an order for the v3.0 deck...please pm me an invoice. Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Sick style bro
Thanks man.
You can see how keeping the head low in heel turns allows the rise in toe turns to happen.
All I think about now is my vertical rise and fall and twisting the upper body in a continuous motion.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Tried angled risers/wedges on trucks, and carbon or some hardwood stringer between the feet?
Yeah Ive been playing with angled riser combos, rkp/tkp truck combos, big/small wheels, different urethane compounds, pneumatic wheels.

What I worked out is that risers and truck geometry on a stiff deck is a static change and doesn't give a snowboard feeling.
Allowing progressive change in truck geometry via board flex gives the best results.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
The way I really got it feeling right was by making the tail more narrow than the front. This allows the tail to flex easier and gives the same feeling as popping out of a carve on a snowboard.
As I discovered with snowboards, its all about flex in the right places.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I generally don't pay attention to my vertical rise much when longboarding. I'm going to feel it out tomorrow and see if I can replicate your method of rising through the toe turn. I'm curious to see how that feels, and what I'm doing naturally already.

Those decks look sweet! I'm stoked to see the progression going on here. Thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Cool video, what I found interesting was your turn is really two turns. I know that doesn’t make sense but I mean to say your heel and toe turn look to be part of the same “unit”. Like, instead of heelside (unit) then toeside (unit)it looks like heelside/toeside (unit) then heelside/toeside (unit). I guess that could be the hula hoop on a smaller scale?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
I gotta make it work first boys!

But seriously, thanks for the vibes.
I'm a believer! Seriously, I want in the production line. Years ago, my lame ass hack at a bamboo battling ram from scraps. A turning radius of at least 15 meters, bottom out, adjustable deck elevation and weighed 10 kilos...lol. If it got away, it would do serious damage...kill pedestrians, dogs and cats. Gave it away to some kid with the stern warning it would hurt somebody.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
I'm a believer! Seriously, I want in the production line. Years ago, my lame ass hack at a bamboo battling ram from scraps. A turning radius of at least 15 meters, bottom out, adjustable deck elevation and weighed 10 kilos...lol. If it got away, it would do serious damage...kill pedestrians, dogs and cats. Gave it away to some kid with the stern warning it would hurt somebody.
View attachment 153988
Thats pure epic bro:love:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Cool video, what I found interesting was your turn is really two turns. I know that doesn’t make sense but I mean to say your heel and toe turn look to be part of the same “unit”. Like, instead of heelside (unit) then toeside (unit)it looks like heelside/toeside (unit) then heelside/toeside (unit). I guess that could be the hula hoop on a smaller scale?
You got it. Ive been calling them a set of turns for some time now.
A heel turn sets up a toe turn. A toe turn sets up a heel turn, its yin and yang boys and girls.

If you go back to my stance movie and recreate those two upper body positions, with max rise at the toe position and max fall at the heel position you will generate the same flow.

All the open minded learning Ive done is being refined down to a few core elements.
The knee open/closed is incorporated, the squat and hips forward is incorporated, eagle wing and wax off incorporated, hula hoop just happens.
We are getting close to purity of movement IMO

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
Im expecting a fair bit of spring back from the 1 ply bamboo so I gave the mold plenty of camber.
5 degree rake on the front, 10 degree on the back.
Tomorrow will be V3.0 day.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
I generally don't pay attention to my vertical rise much when longboarding. I'm going to feel it out tomorrow and see if I can replicate your method of rising through the toe turn. I'm curious to see how that feels, and what I'm doing naturally already.

Those decks look sweet! I'm stoked to see the progression going on here. Thanks for keeping us posted.
The rise and fall as I do adds speed, often on a longboard you get going a bit too fast so flipping the method will slow you down.
Rise in a heel, fall in a toe turn slows you down nicely.

581 - 600 of 627 Posts