Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

601 - 620 of 627 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
Not sure on that one.

In other news Ive been trying to work out why these expensive big wheels absolutely suck ass for carving. They just skip out on me every time I lean in to a carve and the answer is that they have too much support on the outside of the wheel. The obtuse rounded angle on the black ones is too supportive and does not allow the edge of the wheel to flex. Thats bad.

So the oldskool looking wheels that have a cone shape are the ones you want for this style of riding.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Very cool. I wonder if any other longboard co put in glass? I bet not.
Lib Tech and Powell Peralta do (in addition to carbon fiber). Mervin also uses snowboard construction in the swappable baseplates of their Bent Metal bindings.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Not sure on that one.

In other news Ive been trying to work out why these expensive big wheels absolutely suck ass for carving. They just skip out on me every time I lean in to a carve and the answer is that they have too much support on the outside of the wheel. The obtuse rounded angle on the black ones is too supportive and does not allow the edge of the wheel to flex. Thats bad.

So the oldskool looking wheels that have a cone shape are the ones you want for this style of riding.
Check out the Carver Roundhouse wheels. The riding surface of the wheel is actually concave to apply more pressure to the edges when the board is weighted.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
Check out the Carver Roundhouse wheels. The riding surface of the wheel is actually concave to apply more pressure to the edges when the board is weighted.

I was looking at them last night!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
100% mold conformation. No deflection lol.
Im a little shocked to be honest.
I will let it post cure tonight and ride it in the morning.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah Ive been playing with angled riser combos, rkp/tkp truck combos, big/small wheels, different urethane compounds, pneumatic wheels.

What I worked out is that risers and truck geometry on a stiff deck is a static change and doesn't give a snowboard feeling.
Allowing progressive change in truck geometry via board flex gives the best results.
I think raking the trucks with the deck is brilliant! I've never seen that in practice before, and I'd love to feel it. Very radical. That camber section looks serious enough to support a big guy too. I like where this is going.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #608
I think raking the trucks with the deck is brilliant! I've never seen that in practice before, and I'd love to feel it. Very radical. That camber section looks serious enough to support a big guy too. I like where this is going.
Raking the trucks angles is just like using wedged risers. Most people set up wedges with more angle at the front to keep the tail quiet and stable while the nose moves around which gives stability at speed and a surfy feeling.
But I found that sucks for snowboard style carving, and its actually beneficial to have the tail move around more than the nose to help complete the turns allowing nice full shapes to be drawn by the board.
So what I have here works like both of those things depending on which way you ride it. For mellow slopes where you are snowboarding in your mind ride it forwards, for steeper stuff where survival is the primary goal turn it around and ride it backwards.

Im not sure if the camber is too high or not but if it is I will just reduce the camber in the mold and go again with v4.0

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
Boom.
She rides like a dream. The camber is perfect and pushes down to about level rather than bottoming out on the road like v2.0 was doing.

The truck rake works as expected and really focuses the flex just outside the feet as I was hoping it would.

Beautiful pockets for the feet to lock in to.

When I first cut it out I went for a longer wheel base but it flexed too much and was cutting too big of a radius so I returned to the OG wheel base.

Now I need to put some miles on her and make sure it doesn't explode or spontaneously combust and im good to go with pressing a first batch.
I also have some clear glass fritt on the way to sprinkle on the top sheet instead of using grip tape for a really high end finish!

As I rode it down the hill I was laughing out loud. Its a good life.

Wheel base 1.

Recut

And the OG wheel base returns

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #611 (Edited)
Ill be throwing up a website in the next few days.
I have been selling snowboards locally but this funny looking skatey will be the first product I stock and sell like a regular shop.

Its exciting for me after 5 years of basically zero income lol.

Im talking with a US distributor you all know well, so that should mean I can keep some stock in Colorado for easy shipping throughout North America.
I have a distributor in Australia also.

Fingers crossed we can even ship this stuff atm.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have been selling snowboards locally but this funny looking skatey will be the first product I stock and sell like a regular shop.

Im talking with a US distributor you all know well, so that should mean I can keep some stock in Colorado for easy shipping throughout North America.

Nice work, let me know who the Aussie distributor is when you can (y)

·
Registered
8,114 Posts

Pleading, give us a heads up, kickstarter or preferably do a pre-order with the US distributor. Also sending a pm, meow

·
Registered
998 Posts
Boom.
She rides like a dream. The camber is perfect and pushes down to about level rather than bottoming out on the road like v2.0 was doing.

The truck rake works as expected and really focuses the flex just outside the feet as I was hoping it would.

Beautiful pockets for the feet to lock in to.

When I first cut it out I went for a longer wheel base but it flexed too much and was cutting too big of a radius so I returned to the OG wheel base.

Now I need to put some miles on her and make sure it doesn't explode or spontaneously combust and im good to go with pressing a first batch.
I also have some clear glass fritt on the way to sprinkle on the top sheet instead of using grip tape for a really high end finish!

As I rode it down the hill I was laughing out loud. Its a good life.

Wheel base 1. View attachment 154007
Recut
View attachment 154008

And the OG wheel base returns
View attachment 154009
sweet looking deck! i had to admit,the first thing i thought when i saw your pics of the deck it reminded me of the old Tacoma narrows bridge in Wahington state when it started swaying when strong winds was blowing it around :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
sweet looking deck! i had to admit,the first thing i thought when i saw your pics of the deck it reminded me of the old Tacoma narrows bridge in Wahington state when it started swaying when strong winds was blowing it around :ROFLMAO:
hahaha I could watch that bridge sway in the wind all day. It had great flow.

Im making some changes to the mold tomorrow actually. I will reduce the rear truck angle to 5 degrees and the front to 2.5 degrees as everything has a maximum flex point and I feel those angles just moved it closer to the max flex point, therefore actually reducing the flex a small amount.
Im going to get the rear end swinging around in a different way by making the wheelbase a tiny bit longer in the tail which will add progressive flex in the same way that thinning the tail in the v2.0 board did.
Its beautiful to ride now, but it will be even more lively with these mods.
V4.0 here we come.

·
Registered
943 Posts
implemented hula hoop into longboarding today, suddenly my wheels stopped skidding out. I was going vertical too early in my turns and putting too much lateral force into my wheels too soon. Which I think translates to forcing out a turn too soon. ALSO, my Shama barefoot sandals were an awesome accompaniment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #618 (Edited)
implemented hula hoop into longboarding today, suddenly my wheels stopped skidding out. I was going vertical too early in my turns and putting too much lateral force into my wheels too soon. Which I think translates to forcing out a turn too soon. ALSO, my Shama barefoot sandals were an awesome accompaniment.
Nice one man.
The hula hoop really adds timing to the turn, its kind of hard to find yourself in the wrong place when you implement it. Just like its hard to do a toe turn with your knee out, or a heel turn with your knee in.
By learning new habits and new muscle memories that automatically have us in the right body positions with the right timing, we eliminate all the movements that dont actually serve us.
That is the secret IMO. Elimination of the unnecessary, we are left with only that which is necessary.
Then we can lock those necessary elements down to muscle memory and free the mind up to focus on other things like watching out for bumps in the snow, rocks on the road or people who would take you out etc.

Next time you ride with hula hoop, focus on being low for the heel turn and high for the toe turn, with everything in the middle a graduation to the other.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
Man longboarding can teach us a lot about snowboarding.
Im riding flat ground every morning with my dog pulling me along, as she gets more tired we start to slow down. Any bad form I have becomes very obvious which confirmed to me today that leaning back in any turn is always a step away from the goal of generating speed and power.
We obviously need to weight the back of the board at certain times through the turn but unless you are trying to slow down leaning back is the wrong way to do it, squeezing the board forward is a far more efficient way to weight the back of the board.
When you think squeezing instead of leaning back the centrifugal force is a speed increaser, the board accelerates around the body.
When you think lean back the board stays there, and the body decelerates around the board. Its backwards thinking, unless slowing down is the goal.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
Something came to me this morning as I was dog skating, and I feel its the final piece to the puzzle.
The 6 concepts are effective and when put together form the basis of this method.
1,Knee out
2,Sit on toilet
3,Eagle wing upper body rotation
4,Knee in
5,Hips forward soul arch
6,Wax off upper body rotation

I have since added that it is critical to stay low in a heel turn and squeeze the board forward with the same energy that would normally make you rise up.
This serves 2 purposes.
7. Squeezing the board forward in a heel turn is a speed generator.
8. Remaining low gives you the perfect starting point so you can rise up in a toe turn which is also a speed generator.
When you add this to your method you have 2 point where speed generation can occur in a turn set.

And finally, the hula hoop is is what ties it all together, yeah its a backwards toe side movement compared to popular theory, but heres the reason why I believe it is a better method.
Think about the heel side turn, squeezing the board out in front.
Now where does that leave the board? Out in front right.
If we do nothing from that point on, we will always remain behind the board, so we need to get out in front of the board at some point if we are ever going to squeeze the board forward again when the cycle repeats itself.
So the toe turn is our chance to jump forward with our bodies, and getting forward grants us our next opportunity to squeeze the board forward.

9.The hula hoop movement is the fluid deliverer of this opportunity whilst allowing the hips to get forward in the toe turn

So it seems I finish with 9 points.
I am going to give myself some time to really concrete these movements in to my skateboarding and then finally, produce the method demonstration movie on the skateboard this summer, then back it up with an early season movie on the snowboard.

Its been 8 months since I made the first movie, some of the stuff I had correct right from the very start, some took a bit of work and a bit of egg on the old face lol, but I grew from every last piece of it.

Peace out boys and girls.

The original movie below.

601 - 620 of 627 Posts