Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

841 - 860 of 957 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Tried FF +24/+9, had to widen my stance to 21"...but wasn't feeling it. Compared to a few days earlier which was at +18/0 at 23". The +24/+9 was too much heelside bias and not enough toeside. Kept getting locked in heelside and could not smoothly transition to toeside. I'm sure, everything needs more work. This morning set up 3 boards for +18/0 at 23" and perhaps go up tomorrow and try it on all three boards.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
Yeah, back knee in gave some power or fluidity or something as I initiated heel edge turns, but I was also playing with back knee out as I reached the wash-out point. I think with a duck stance it gives you a little more weight and pressure over the rear contact point. I've used it sometimes as a hip alignment cue when riding a T-bar, but haven't messed around with it during turns until now.

Meant to try +/+ but the screwdriver stations were put away for COVID, I guess. Next time.
Duck stance certainly is an automatic hip alignment cure, I teach noobs with FF stance to put their rear hand in their rear pocket and that keeps them aligned as they unload from lifts and ride one footed.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
That video was A+

Watching it made me realize I’m staying in my heelside for too long and drawing them too far horizontal to the fall line. Probably would’ve prevent Saturday’s “mishap” 😂
Most people don't hold them long enough so don't hate on yourself for doing that. It's a stepping stone to heel turn proficiency. Sometimes when I am lazy I get stuck on a locked heel edge and have to ride up hill to a stop.
There is a sweet spot for edge transition, and it also plays a large role in creating symmetry in your turn shapes.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
This guy's obviously legit, but I don't think I could replicate his technique. His front knee is almost locked completely straight from start to finish!
It's a teenage girl lol.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
Tried FF +24/+9, had to widen my stance to 21"...but wasn't feeling it. Compared to a few days earlier which was at +18/0 at 23". The +24/+9 was too much heelside bias and not enough toeside. Kept getting locked in heelside and could not smoothly transition to toeside. I'm sure, everything needs more work. This morning set up 3 boards for +18/0 at 23" and perhaps go up tomorrow and try it on all three boards.
Focus on creating your toe turn by pushing your front hip toe side the relaxing for heel side.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The ladies and gents on those vids are fun to watch and wishing i could do some of those tricks but....it's only a wish:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Most people don't hold them long enough so don't hate on yourself for doing that. It's a stepping stone to heel turn proficiency. Sometimes when I am lazy I get stuck on a locked heel edge and have to ride up hill to a stop.
There is a sweet spot for edge transition, and it also plays a large role in creating symmetry in your turn shapes.
i had my heelside carve pretty good and i do hold them longer, but i lost my edge when i tried to transition to my toe side by lifting my front heel up to early before my body was positioned to transition to toe side and down i go sliding on my butt and laughing my ass off!

Reactions: Kijima

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've been following this crew of riders. They've got a higher speed approach than the snow surfers. I like the style.
That’s the ticket! The teenage girl rips too! Spent another day on the diamond blade Sunday slaying groomers. Today was a low angle day railing the Niche Pyre 155. Headed out tomorrow again on the Fullbag-day 4 of 7. Both rail really well but I have the pyre set up at 18/0, the fullbag 24/6. Different boards with the pyre being more of an S camber, but boy that 18/0 stance lets me rail it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I used to like Toyfilms but lately they’ve been doing too much flat land and not enough turning. I’ve been watching Gelanding on Instagram. Super smooth riding.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #854 (Edited)
i had my heelside carve pretty good and i do hold them longer, but i lost my edge when i tried to transition to my toe side by lifting my front heel up to early before my body was positioned to transition to toe side and down i go sliding on my butt and laughing my ass off!
Don't lift your feet, stay low and rock your whole body over to the toe edge then stretch yourself out as the toe turn begins

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
I used to like Toyfilms but lately they’ve been doing too much flat land and not enough turning. I’ve been watching Gelanding on Instagram. Super smooth riding.
Too much squat in toe turns too

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Don't lift your feet, stay low and rock your whole body over to the to edge then stretch yourself out as the toe turn begins
That is what i normally do but for some reason i my brain says"ok you need to go toe side now"but my body just delayed the action and my front foot release the edge. It was late on the day so i guess i was tired already though i was trying for another nice carve to finish the day.

Reactions: Kijima

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #857
IMO, eurocarve is for show, not flow, when you use hand or forearm to support yourself. Balance the triangle over the board, let your hand barely kiss the snow, not to prop you up in a carve, unless you are going for the money shot of course.
I totally agree.when I first started this I was bearing too much weight but now I try to estimate the forces of the turn based on speed and pitch and then try to match that with how much weight I throw inside the arc. When I get it wrong I touch my bum on the snow and the nose of the board skips around, when I get it right I hover 1cm off the surface of the snow without touching and that puts a big smile on my face ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
That is what i normally do but for some reason i my brain says"ok you need to go toe side now"but my body just delayed the action and my front foot release the edge. It was late on the day so i guess i was tired already though i was trying for another nice carve to finish the day.
You will never make amazing progress late in the day, I would even say the first 2 hours of the day are your window for experimental riding, while conditions are best and the crowds are still making their way to the mountain, you get your work done then dial it back a bit and enjoy the rest of the day.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've been following this crew of riders. They've got a higher speed approach than the snow surfers. I like the style.
Haha, rode with them a ittle bit last season. Their motto translates loosely, "May you find your enligh-turn-ment." They mostly ride Pheonix Pyonchang, site of the last winter Olympics. The thing with that crew/ resort is, the same style of riding is f'ing everywhere, like Agent Smith in The Matrix. Some super-Knapton level skills here and there, too.

·
Registered
977 Posts

Just drooling at these runs... both human and nature.

@Kijima, stay safe from all that pow. There is no justice you guys get so much while the rest of the world can only watch on youtube.

841 - 860 of 957 Posts