Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
The dolphin dance is live. I also demonstrate 3 shoulder positions, closed, neutral and open. Closed for toe turns, neutral for straight and open for heel turns.
At the end I also show the shoulder positions with a knee roll which really opens up your chest for heel turns.
You can carve using knee rolls as your only input, try that next time you ride.

https://youtu.be/wvrJgW9y97k

Registered
Discussion Starter #82
Right now it is the middle of summer and I have been training.
I have built up my legs and core with 2 simple exercises that were born of the dolphin dance.
The full body squat and the half squat with upper body rotation.
These 2 exercises totally surprised me with the speed at which my muscles started to grow, in all the right places.
To effectively carve all day on a snowboard you need very strong legs and core.
Look at Ryans muscle size in relation to bone length in his legs. The dude has some serious power and serious leverage over his legs. He is a boss when it comes to general leg and core strength.
I realized if I was going to do this anything like he does that I would need to build up my legs from the chopsticks that they were.
If you master these 2 exercises (vids coming), and have a snowboard that is wide enough, only your brain is stopping you from carving better. You simply need to understand how to move your body correctly and the carve will be the by product of your training.

Lets go longboarding. If you dont have a longboard yet, get one, pads and helmet too.

So longboarding in the summer time is the best carving training in the world. I can practice everything I need to to prepare for day one of the 19/20 season.
Im hoping to do back to back lay down turns on my first run 馃槉

So without muscles you cannot do this, I built mine in around 3 months, there is still time to build your muscles before the season starts. Get some.

Now that we have muscles and can hold our body weight at any elevation for extended periods of time we are ready to put 3 very simple body movements in to place.

1. The knee roll.
The knee roll I learned from watching Russian hard boot riders. This really changed my riding. We roll our front knee opening up our legs for a heel turn, and then roll it back, knees together for a toe turn.
It works beautifully, flipping your body weight from side to side automatically and opening/closing your shoulders.
Your snowboard/longboard will respond, master that.

2. Shoulder rotation.
From your knee roll position, add in shoulder rotation. Your muscles already know what to do because you became a boss at the half squat/shoulder rotation exercise.
When you master the combo, start putting your chin on your collar bone too. I save this for a little extra when I need it, sometimes to avoid obstacles, it's nice to have a little something in reserve.

3. The squeeze.
The dolphin dance teaches us to squat and rise with correct timing, now as you finish the turn think about squeezing your board out in front of you as you stand tall.
This increases your speed into the next turn.

I really recommend learning these 3 separate techniques individually and applying the correct amount of each to suit your own style. Actually the amount of each technique you show or hide determines the style of your turn.

Stay tuned for some riding and exercise technique vids over the next few weeks 馃槉

And thank you Ryan for the inspiration.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Yesterday I put in about 2 hours work on the long board playing with knee rolls.
What I learned is a further simplification of thought process for making a turn.. I love simplification lol.

So what I worked out is this. For a heel turn I think about all my power running down my front leg and out through the bone just behind my little toe.
100% weight on the outside of my front foot.

For a toe turn I simply roll my front foot until all my power is running down my leg and out through the ball of my foot.

I'm just flipping my front foot from side to side and my longboard is automatically turning.

I ordered a DJI ronin sc pro to make some vids but it's taking a while to get here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #87
I also played a bit with the squeeze, I'm really only just starting with this.
I found a lot of extra speed from pushing the board out to the point where it wanted to throw me off the back, but just before it does that I leap forward and meet my board out in front if me.
The same time is spent, but you travel further. That is speed generation right there. :grin:

Registered
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Stretch pole https://imgur.com/gallery/UZHB75s
Sorry I can't work out how to link it properly.

I spend a lot of time on these too. I snowboard on the blue one and roll my back on the yellow one. Man it feels good to open up your chest muscles. Our daily life has us leaning forward with shoulders rolled in. Stretching everything the other way really helps your body out.

Registered
Yesterday I put in about 2 hours work on the long board playing with knee rolls.
What I learned is a further simplification of thought procecess for making a turn.. I love simplification lol.

So what I worked out is this. For a heel turn I think about all my power running down my front leg and out through the bone just behind my little toe.
100% weight on the outside of my front foot.

For a toe turn I simply roll my front foot until all my power is running down my leg and out through the ball of my foot.

I'm just flipping my front foot from side to side and my longboard is automatically turning.

I ordered a DJI ronin sc pro to make some vids but it's taking a while to get here.

So are you swinging/rolling your lead knee forward toward the nose for heelside and then bring it aft and driving the knee to go toeside...just trying to visualize?

Registered
Discussion Starter #92
Feeling this poetic approach you guys are working on. Keep it up:)
Cheers bro. Your comment boosts my confidence :grin:

I just did another 2 hours on long board as the sun rose and worked out 2 exercises that will make me a master of the squeeze.
Every day I'm finding tiny pieces of information that make me better than I was yesterday.
Even if my riding is utter shit, I'll still be the happiest dude on the mountain based on that.
:laugh2:

Registered
Discussion Starter #93
So are you swinging/rolling your lead knee forward toward the nose for heelside and then bring it aft and driving the knee to go toeside...just trying to visualize?
Yes exactly this. The swing is a circular motion rather than in a straight line.
Do it on the floor right now and feel your little toe side load up, then roll it back in an exact reversal and feel the ball of your foot load up.

It hurts a bit. I'm sore in those 2 places on my foot. That's a good sign to me :grin:

Registered
Discussion Starter #94
I'm busting these 2 new exercises in my living room and I realized that the most important aspect of the squeeze is keeping your head low.
Your head acts like the top bar of a press, the ground acts as the bottom bar. In the middle we squeeze and create force that pushes the board forward.
If our head is allowed to rise that force is lost.

Registered
Stretch pole https://imgur.com/gallery/UZHB75s
Sorry I can't work out how to link it properly.

I spend a lot of time on these too. I snowboard on the blue one and roll my back on the yellow one. Man it feels good to open up your chest muscles. Our daily life has us leaning forward with shoulders rolled in. Stretching everything the other way really helps your body out.
Haha oh my lord.

Keep practicing, I'm sure you'll be able to fit that yellow one in soon:embarrased1:

No videos though & that "pics or it didn't happen" phrase, let's just say I'll believe you, no need for pics bwa ha ha ha

TT

Registered
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Haha oh my lord.

Keep practicing, I'm sure you'll be able to fit that yellow one in soon:embarrased1:

No videos though & that "pics or it didn't happen" phrase, let's just say I'll believe you, no need for pics bwa ha ha ha

TT
Hahaha you sicko TT.
>:)

So it's been 2 weeks now since I payed DJI directly for the new Ronin sc pro. Why do peeps sell shit before its ready in 2019. That shit sucks.

It's 4.52am here now. In my arvo session yesterday I really worked on keeping my head low, I dropped all shoulder rotation and found myself riding super dynamically.
Shoulder rotation is proving to be a fairly dull turn input. Knee rolls are far more effective.
I was doing 50% knee roll which is all front foot and 50% squeeze which is all back foot, with my head as low as possible the entire time.
My legs burned in a whole new way lol.
This is "In the cockpit" riding.

I have isolated the individual movements that ARE snowboarding. Im going to translate that into simple exercises we can all do at home with no equipment so we can ALL start shredding better than last season. :x

Registered
Hahaha you sicko TT.
>:)

I have isolated the individual movements that ARE snowboarding. Im going to translate that into simple exercises we can all do at home with no equipment so we can ALL start shredding better than last season. :x
You had me at "no equipment" :notworthy:

Registered
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
https://imgur.com/gallery/qxly7bX

Please can someone help me to get these links working lol?
I took a screen shot of this mornings session that shows entry into a heel turn.
It shows my front leg doing all the work of the direction change, loading up the outside of my foot, and my back leg waiting to perform the squeeze.
For the squeeze to produce forward thrust my head cannot rise from that height, as my legs straighten the board has nowhere to go but forward.

Registered
Discussion Starter #99
Just me talkin to myself again :grin:

Currently knee rolling past the little toe position for heel side turns, allowing more weight on to the heel saves a lot of energy at the expense of shock adsorption.

Its an intentional step away from total performance to increase total efficiency.

The techniques are becoming second nature to me now, the mind is free to focus on new details as they arrive.

Keep snowboarding in your mind peeps :x

81 - 100 of 137 Posts