Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a small company called Makboard, and it seems the only product they have is a clear snowboard. Apparently it's made from a similar material to what's found in fighter jet canopies. According to the information on their website (which is biased, admittedly) it's the "ultimate powder stick" because of its flexibility, and they also claim it can hold an edge similar to steel. However they do say that you shouldn't use hot wax on the board, so it seems like it can't hold wax like a sintered or graphite base would. So I wonder if it has a speed similar to an extruded base.

I'm not actually interested in purchasing one, I'm just curious to know what people think about them, is it something unique and original, or just a gimmick? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with one?

Here's a link to the website, if you've never seen them before: http://www.makboard.com

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
This is the first time I've seen it. Looks really interesting, but without people widely being able to demo one...doubt it'll catch on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody wakeboard on here? Hyperlite use to make Scott Byerlys sig board that had the same flow through design except it was on the sides rather than in the center. Im not sure if i trust this board. The "clear" part is pretty cool but who would buy one just for that?

reading through the features the first thing that caught my eye was the part about the holes, idk about you guys but when im riding powder straight i feel stable.... its a cool idea but i dont see it working as well on powder as it would with water (like on a wakeboard)

theyr special material, im almost positive, is just plexi glass.... You guys ever heard of FLEXDEX skateboards?? they have the same principle of flexiness and they are clear.

idk guys, its a cool idea and im glad people are trying to push and progress our sport. But i think imcorporating the holes, and their clear material into a segmented core base (clear in strips or something) and use the already proven performance of a UHME sintered base would be really slick!

If you want the "ultimate" powder stick why not buy T.rices Banana Hammock?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
reading through the features the first thing that caught my eye was the part about the holes, idk about you guys but when im riding powder straight i feel stable.... its a cool idea but i dont see it working as well on powder as it would with water (like on a wakeboard)
I just see the edge of those holes catching on things you unavoidably cruise over sometimes, like exposed twigs/rocks, iceballs, etc... and totally throwing you on your ass/face.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If I had the extra cash laying around I would give it a try. It seems like it would work but might be a bit flexy. I also think the edges would dull very easily.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's lexan or a similar high density polyethylene. One size, no color options, and one model. Don't see that taking off in popularity. They say you should use rub-on wax though. Hot waxing would probably distort the material form, darken it, and make it brittle.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like the beginning to an epicly bad end
Yeah, I think the 8 crashes in that 5 minute video at the bottom of the page speaks to that...
"as far as we know we're the first ones who have ever taken snurfboards in a halfpipe in the world" ...aaand there's probably a reason for that.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay $225+ for something that could be cobbled together from a ValuMart snowboard and a piece of rope.

I also think I'd rather put that $300 for a makboard toward a more "traditional" snowboard. Though I was somewhat surprised by the price, when I hear things like "high tech material" and "fighter jet canopies" I think exorbitantly expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
haha, its cheeper than the burton blunt :cheeky4: (not that id ever touch one)
so its a pow board?

·
Registered
222 Posts
the clear board looks reasonably priced. A NS summit will cost double of this clear board. It will be nice to be able to demo this board though

·
Registered
186 Posts
the clear board looks reasonably priced. A NS summit will cost double of this clear board. It will be nice to be able to demo this board though
:laugh: Except you're not paying for materials or anything else that goes into a real snowboard. This thing is a piece of heat or injection molded plastic. Somebody stuck it together in CAD and stamps it out like a cheap kiddie toy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts