Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

fat fast bords for a polar bear

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  wernersl 
#1 ·
Im need your advice to help me find the right board for me if you have time. I have been resurge a lot for a 2 weeks now and cant decide.

Data:
Im 34 years old, weight 110 kg/ca 240 lbs, boot 13 us, 182 cm tall. Typical Swedish Viking ;) Im a strong rider have bin riding for 20 years and competing in alpin skiing before that. So I know snow.

Riding syle:
Idont ride park any more (busted knee and to old and heavy) I love speeed really fast and do carving turns in speeds over 40 m/h. I love also powder when I can get it Its all I do. Idont do any tricks anymore maybe a 360 or backside air on a pow hit. Old school ;) I never ever ride switch.

Environment
In Sweden is most icy gromers, hard pak but in the alps there I spend 2-4 weeks per gear its mostly powder and steep backcountry. 60% icy gromers, 40% powder.

Boards I have ride last 10 years
Salomon Regulate -2002 wide 168 waist 275mm effective edge 1330mm heavy and mega stiff and good edge hold, the faster you go the better it is. Good sides its stable in ultra speed and never felt unscure on it. Bad sides: you have to worke a lot with it and to turn it, bad in powder when the noose digs in to the fresh tuff and give you a back leg burn.

Burton supermodel -2009, 168 rode it one week and dident like it. It was ok stiffnes but to narrow in the waist ca 256mm and I got to drags in harder carves. I returnd that bord and bought a salomon magnum wide 166 -2010 waist: ca 265mm Thes bord I dident like thes bord at all it was to soft flex and felt like it was to small. It woked good in trees in pow but in the gromers it suck big time. I cudent get control over it in hi speeds and the noose was flipping around and lift the hole board upp in bumps really strange. That board ruined my 3 weeks in St anton (alps) and my bad knee was getting worse to ride this board.

Last gear I change back to the old Salomon Regulate and it was like a dream and it was fun to snowboard again. I culd kip up with a my pro siking frends that I cudent do before with the burton and salomon magnum. I compare the regulate to the magnum stand to
each other and the regulate was so mutch bigger board so its understandable that it rides totally different.

But now I want to take part of the new technology in the new boards and its hard to decide what to bay. This is the boards I’m looked in to

Never summer Raptor x 169: a waist at 269mm that’s maybe enough? Is it stiff enough?

Nidecker Megalight X167 All reviews say that a fantastic board but all riders ho ridden it are not as big us I am. Is it really stiff enough?

Nidecker Legend Wat the different here between megalight and Legend?

Jones flagship is to narrow in the waist. Otherwise a good match maybe.

Smokin kt-22 ?

Red air tanker?

Any idée’s ?

See less See more
#3 ·
im a big guy like you, 6'3 260 and i recently bought a custom x. i love it, its really still so i can carve at high speeds and not have any worries. my girlfriend is an instructor and i would have troubles keeping up with her just because i had a slower board but now she cant even keep up with me, i love it so far

#4 ·
I love my kt-22 boards. I have a 159w and a 162w. They make a 166 and 172 also... The magna traction holds great on ice. The clash rocker is great in powder and you can ride a short board than you think which is why I have my lengths. Im 280lbs and they float my big ass pretty well.

#8 ·
Don't know how old your boots are, but if they're more than a few years old you might want to look at newer models. Many have some kind of shrink technology that significantly reduce the overall size. This will enlarge your choice of board.

I'm also 34, 225 Lbs, size 12 boots ( w / shrink). I ride a NS Proto CTX (wide). The board is wide enough and could accomodate size 13. However that would be too soft for your style. If you want NS the Raptor X would be perfect for you.

The Smokin and LibTechs are also great suggestion.

If you ride lots of groomer and hardpack, some kind of edge tech really makes a difference.

#9 ·
You so need to change your user name to Thor.

Lots of good advice so far. Since you ride lots of pow definitely get something with rocker (at least in the nose) like the highlife.

Since you are in Europe if you have cash to spare I would say the ride from kessler looks like an amzing freeride board that is good in pow.

#13 ·
Thanks a lot for all tips and advice, Sounds like menny boards will fit me. Is said that I cant try any of them before buying them.

Thies boards are most interesting for me because they are wider then 265mm, the stiffness, and new tech to transmission and effortless edge hold. And I like more freeride spec board then all mountain.

1. Kessler ride 176
2. Nidecker megalight 167
3. NS raptor x
4. KT-22 166 w
5. Ride UL 168/172
6. Lib tech skunk ape 169

Haw would you rank this boards and please motivate way, without thinking about the price.

#15 ·
My choice would be the Nidecker Megalight 167XL Camrock.

Not sure about the stiffness for 100KG+, but email Nidecker with your details and ask them, they usually respond really quickly. I reckon it will be fine. This board is designed for the Alps and built here in Switzerland!

My curve ball choice would have been a Burton Fish, but I don't think it will work so well at 100KG (web site says up to 91KG).
I use one in the Alps, OK on the piste to get you to the fun bits, then it is unbeatable in the powder and loose snow. And as for those who think it can only be ridden in powder, watch this.:yahoo:

Stephan Maurer – Full part on a Burton Fish – Whitelines Snowboarding

#16 ·
As a fellow big man on a snowboard with similar though slightly larger stats than you quoted, I can stand up for the NS boards being solid as I currently ride a Legacy and have ridden a Heritage X and Revolver as well. I can also stand behind the Ride boards though it's been a few years since I've owned one, they were my go to deck for the better part of a decade.

The Smokin KT-22 is also a solid ride and was on my short list when I bought the Legacy a couple of season's ago.

I haven't been on the Nidecker but they make a quality board. Kessler I always think of as more of a Eurocarve hard boot type of board... that's not to say they don't do other things also but that's the stereotype I have of them.

The only board on that list I'm not a huge fan of is the SkunkApe. While it's not a bad board as Mervin makes overall good product I just think you pay a lot for the hype machine they use to pump up their gear. I've ridden them a couple of times over the years and it always just feels like a big, dead plank of wood to me. It holds an edge really well and has some cool graphics but the ride is just boring and had no life to me.

#17 ·
Top two would be the raptor and smokin tied.... Second would be the lib. Then nideker.... Would not even consider the others. If it was going to e strictly a race board I would get a Kessler.

Between raptor and kt22 I would get a kt22... Just because I have ridden mine hard and it's still in good condition 30 days deep into a 3rd season.

#18 ·
You're similar to me in size and style. The two boards that you mentioned that I would recommend are the NS Raptor and the Megalight. Both boards will serve you well but if I had to choose, it would be the Megalight, that's one sick looking board. I'm currently waiting for my Ultralight to arrive. Good luck.

#19 ·
i would tie the RaptorX and Megalight...with a slight edge to the Megalight. I think you might get a bit more edge hold on the nidecker with the positive camber between the feet and the serrated edge. as for stiffness i think they are similar. i dont know about durability for the nidecker. hard to find that kind of info, but based on the tech they put into it, it looks to be quite sturdy. i can vouch for the raptor being strong as hell.

dont consider a lib anything if you are concerned with longevity. seen too many delam, edges come loose and really easy to throw in a coreshot over some rocks.

i almost went with a kt-22, but decided against magnetraction. also...i have a friend in south lake who knows the owners and he said they were a bunch of dicks! i dont think that really swayed me too much, but didnt care much for the graphics either. not that any of us choose a board for its graphics!

as for the kessler and ride...i know nothing about those. sorry, cant help you there.

by the way...ive got you beat with weight but wear an 11-12 boot...depending on the manufacturer, and the raptor is perfect, if not slightly wide for me. wish they had a mid-wide last year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.