Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brand, model, any other particulars? it would need to be at least somewhat portable or foldable. would i definitely want to buy the vices as well? i'm thinking of buying one for a christmas present. thanks for any input!

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a garage or place to wax I would just buy a quality set of vices.

Portable benches are typically used by nordic skiers at a race venue for waxing day of the race. They're really heavy and over-priced for what you're getting. You can build something A LOT cheaper.

I just purchased a pair of North (made by Swix) vices from Evo. They easily attach to a deck railing, workbench or table. I've been super-impressed thus far with their durability, and for keeping the board stable while scraping and brushing wax.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Portable benches are typically used by nordic skiers at a race venue for waxing day of the race. They're really heavy and over-priced for what you're getting. You can build something A LOT cheaper.

I just purchased a pair of North (made by Swix) vices from Evo. They easily attach to a deck railing, workbench or table. I've been super-impressed thus far with their durability, and for keeping the board stable while scraping and brushing wax.

Wonder if they would connect to a tailgate?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks for the response i'll check those out

·
Registered
53 Posts

I can speak for the North vises, as I started using them last season with my old dining table in my garage. They work great and I never had trouble with them staying on the table or wiggling around, as long as I kept the clamp adjustments tight on the table. You can get them at several online retailers or shops.
I opted for just getting the vises vs. vises and a dedicated tuning table because of the necessity for space, cost-saving, and re-using of my old table from the bachelor days. Haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use snowboard vices attached to a folding sawhorse with a wooden shelf affixed to it for the vices to clamp to. Much cheaper than the folding tuning benches available if you are looking for a portable setup. Adjustable in height, won't tip over, and also doubles as a sawhorse :) . The only drawback is the weight (steel sawhorse is made to hold serious weight -- so it is sturdy). I use this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/XDD-34-in-Adjustable-Folding-Sawhorse-SH3801/206261852

1 - 7 of 7 Posts