Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my passport (jeez what a clusterfuck), so we're going to try to get to Baker for spring break (Mar 18-22). I'm trying to book a condo for a few days. Someone at work owns one and advertises it in the internal web ads, so I'm trying to get available dates from him. If worst comes to worst we'll just go up for the day, but ideally I'm going to try for 3 nights.

On the subject of accomodation, the Snowater Resort looks to be something like 8 miles from the ski area. Near as I can tell there's nothing but 'The Firs' anywhere within walking distance of the lifts, and that's not really standard accomodation. So is there a shuttle, like Manning Park has? or is there tons of parking? Could use a bit of advice from locals to know what to expect.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
IIRC snowwater is a bit further than 8 miles, there is the baker bus from Glacier, but its an easy drive up, just take your time. There is a lower "white salmon" lodge and the upper heather medows...either one works. There is the Firs but I've never been in or don't know anything...I think its a dormatory style. There is plenty of parking and it is right at both the lodges unless its a very busy day then just a very short walk...just a city block or two. There is no night life except for what you make, but ride all day, hit the hot tube and repeat.

pm I try to meet for a tour

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wrath, will do as soon as I have things nailed down.

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll know more tomorrow (Monday). Guy only supplied his work email address on the ad...

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Booked 3 nights, 18th to 20th. We'll arrive late on the 18th, hit the slopes the 19th and 20th, and maybe partial day on the 21st.

Sorry, SW, 21st on was booked.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for giving me a good reason to make the pilgrimage to Baker on the 20th Donutz. Wrath, you gonna be around too? Either way, I'll see you up there Donutz. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup:

PM'd wrath. We'll see what we can put together.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hmm, i will probably not be working after the 16th. I don't know you guys too well, but i havent been to baker yet and would love to. I might try to go up on the 20th (or maybe 19 and 20th) as well :).

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Damn Pat, I was just about to text you to see if you could make it up. Bummer bro. You should come ride Alpental with me on a weekend night soon though.

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6-day looks like a lot of snow coming .... :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If the weather holds up, Wednesday is going to be off the hook and super fun! I cant wait! :D :yahoo:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This current storm sure is layin' it down. Love to see NWS forecast discussion with stuff like this. . .

IT SHOULD SNOW HARD
THROUGH TONIGHT WITH STRONG WLY FLOW MORE FAVORABLE FOR THE PASSES.
ANOTHER FOOT COULD FALL AT PASS LEVEL AND POSSIBLY 2 MORE FEET AT
THE HIGHER SKI RESORTS AND ALONG THE W FACING SLOPES OF THE
VOLCANOES. SNOW WILL CONTINUE IN COLD NW FLOW THURSDAY BUT AMOUNTS
WILL PROBABLY BE ADVISORY LEVEL. WILL LOOK AT THIS MORE CLOSELY FOR
THE NEXT STATEMENT UPDATE THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS WILL
BE MUCH HIGHER
SO WILL NEED TO TAKE THAT INTO ACCOUNT.

·
Super Moderator
6,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we had the meet and it was great, although I was very much Charles Barclay in this one. Sorry guys, hope I didn't slow things down too much. :bowdown:

Baker isn't the biggest mountain (Whistler is considerably bigger IMO) but it's a technically difficult mountain. It has far less of a groomed "Disney" feel than Whistler. You could spend a long long long time just finding all the nooks, let alone mastering them.

NW, I haven't found that video yet. It may not be there. This Drift camera seems to be temperamental.

For everyone else, NWBoarder landed his snowboard on my head today. Glad I had a helmet!!!! :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
(first time i went to Baker i felt very disoriented, it is a very unusual mountain...just feels different geologically than anywhere i've ridden. ended up loving it, esp. when i got some knee-deep up on the Hemispheres, that one run made the whole trip...made my whole week actually

there are def some weird things about it, and no doubt the gnar factor of alot of it is off the charts, can wait to get back next year)

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Donutz did great and we all got to go skijoring...in fact Donutz and NW got to do tandem skijoring. It was too bad that half the hill was closed, but had a good day and tomorrow ought to be better...get somebody give you the tour on the other half.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I had so much fun today! Donutz, you did just fine, and kept up well. Hopefully you'll find the video, cause I bet it's freaking hilarious. :laugh: And if didn't catch it, then we'll just have to go recreate it. ;-) Lol I think the only way this trip could have better is if chair 6 was running. Make sure you get up to it tomorrow Donutz, you won't regret it. And the skijoring behind the sled was awesome. Thanks for the great day guys, I had a blast. :)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts