Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First Board, Advice?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nuteman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I started snowboarding last year and loved it. I'd say that I'm pretty good. Right now, I would like to buy my first board. I enjoy riding groomed trails, I'm not too much of a park guy. However, I don't want to go super fast. Basically, I just want to have fun. I was looking at some boards such as the Burton Clash, Burton Process Flying V, Forum Scallywag, and the Artec Haze. I've decided that I really like the Artec so I think I'll go with that.
HTML:
http://www.the-house.com/9855arhaz13zz-artec-snowboards.html
I am a 5' 10" male and weigh about 140, so according to the rest of the internet, I should ride a 155. However, I am still growing so I'm not sure if I should buy a slightly longer board so I can grow into it and it lasts longer. In addition to a board, I obviously need bindings. I'm not sure which color I should go with and I also have no clue what the difference is between bindings. Same thing with boots. My shoe size is around a 10, 10.5 depending on the brand of shoe. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Any reason you're leaning toward the Artec? It appears to be an entry-level board, as in cheap, not necessarily more beginner friendly. I'd recommend a rocker or hybrid board over full camber if you're starting out. There's a ton of quality boards for steep discounts available now.

I'm your exact heigh/weight and I ride a 153 rocker board right now. I'm sure you'd be happy on a 155/156 if you're still growing.

Go to a store and try on a bunch of boots, buy what fits you the best. Bad fitting boots will ruin your day.

#3 ·
For one thing, I like how the Artec looks. I know that doesn't affect performance but if I'm buying something, I should like how it looks. Also, it fits my price range. And under the-house.com, this popped up under the rocker boards section. Do you have any recommendations for a first board?

#9 ·
Just a suggestion. Have you thought about looking into a used board? You can grab one at a huge discount, make your money go further if it is an issue. I just picked up a third board used off Kijiji (2013 GNU CC) for $120 almost mint condition. The dude rode it twice and didn't like it. I just bought it to see what the hype about BTX is about.

#10 ·
thanks for the suggestion smellytuna, but ill be buying online so i can prob find a new board at a reasonable price. plus i like new things haha.

what about a ride machete or a ride buckwild? i also like the burton floater and the burton sherlock. I think those would fit my riding.

Also, i remembered the type of board i rented when i went last season. it was a burton twc standard. i liked it but i seem to remember it getting speed wobbles.

#11 ·
I think I decided on this board.

HTML:
http://www.the-house.com/9856arhyf13zz-artec-snowboards.html
its a no camber so it gives me the best of camber and rocker so i can see what i want more of or less of. plus since im still relatively new, ill most likely adapt to the board. my goal for this season is to learn to butter and ride switch comfortably so i think i can accomplish all that and more with this board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.