Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my brand new NS Proto HD out yesterday for the first time and it rode amazing, but sadly at the end of the day I scanned over my board to find a chip on the topsheet on the front end of the board. I'm assuming this is merely cosmetic, but it really triggers my OCD

https://gyazo.com/6fe49793d0a3db1216f3466cd99d2b7d

https://gyazo.com/3c17a75245bda30337829c285499cb3a

https://gyazo.com/b869394eac5ae9f4c5e63881898984f7

Anything I should worry about? I've read that these topsheets are supposed to be real tough, and I didn't take any hard spills or clip anyone, just noticed this back at the lodge at the end of the day and it put me in a bad mood, having my fresh board chipped on the first day :dry:

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
That's almost certainly a lift line ding. You smacked into someone's snowboard/ski or someone's ski/snowboard smacked into you. The board is fine. That stuff is gonna happen in lift lines eventually. It's pretty much inevitable. Sucked it had to happen your first day out on a new board. If it bothers you, just put a little clear nail polish over it to seal it. I wouldn't even bother with epoxy for something that tiny.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Those carbonium topsheets are the toughest out there. I haven't dinged one yet. So something must have smacked it pretty hard.

Just epoxy it if it bothers you, and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Had to zoom right in to see it but then whoa! You'd better put that bad boy on the wall and look at it rather than ride it.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,468 Posts
Yeah,.. That sucks but it's either expect and get used to that sorta thing, or hang the board on a wall as art! :shrug: If ya ride 'em? Ya ding 'em!!! :( :huh:

Looks like you bonked sumpin pretty good, or sumone ran into/over it and you didnt notice. Maybe in the lift line. I was like you with my first board! All OCD & agro about peels n chips. But it just happens!! Part of the bargain we make to get the Stoke! :dunno: :D

You could shave off the raised bits with a razor & maybe dab a bit of 2part marine epoxy in it to seal & level it out if your worried.

As for the "Toughness" of the NS topsheets,.. I can tell you they stand up much better to that kind of abuse than a lot of others.
Sorry it bummed you out,.. Hey! Here's an idea,... Get out on the snow and just Bomb The Fuck out of a few runs!!! Betcha that will improve your mood immensely!!! ;) :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Took my brand new NS Proto HD out yesterday for the first time and it rode amazing, but sadly at the end of the day I scanned over my board to find a chip on the topsheet on the front end of the board. I'm assuming this is merely cosmetic, but it really triggers my OCD

https://gyazo.com/6fe49793d0a3db1216f3466cd99d2b7d

https://gyazo.com/3c17a75245bda30337829c285499cb3a

https://gyazo.com/b869394eac5ae9f4c5e63881898984f7

Anything I should worry about? I've read that these topsheets are supposed to be real tough, and I didn't take any hard spills or clip anyone, just noticed this back at the lodge at the end of the day and it put me in a bad mood, having my fresh board chipped on the first day :dry:
As surfinsnow posted "the first cut is the deepest".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those carbonium topsheets are the toughest out there. I haven't dinged one yet. So something must have smacked it pretty hard.

Just epoxy it if it bothers you, and be done with it.
5 days on my Carbonium topsheet and I have several chips. I like the grip and it looks kinda cool, but doesn't hold up like I expected it to. It's a board made to be ridden though, not hung on a wall. Sharpie, Epoxy, and back on the hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks people, i'll try not to worry about it too much. Deep down I know things like this are inevitable in the long run. In the meantime I will get some epoxy for this and any other future chips I may end up with. I'm just happy I have something nice to ride on now. It's hard to be mad when you're having a good time riding

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
5 days on my Carbonium topsheet and I have several chips. I like the grip and it looks kinda cool, but doesn't hold up like I expected it to. It's a board made to be ridden though, not hung on a wall. Sharpie, Epoxy, and back on the hill.

It is just par for the course: plastic will peel/chip/break when bumped against metal/wood/etc.
Important to remember that 'Carbonium' is just regular plastic with a texture, so NS boards are not different than any other boards in this respect.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Well I'm talking about those microchips where you didn't hit anything obvious. My K2s and Arbors get beat the hell up, topsheet and base, while the NS's still truck along with barely any damage. And that's no change in riding style just plain ol me. Clearly something took a chunk out of your board so I'm sure you felt or knew when that happened. That's just physics. But with my Arbor boards, and K2 Happy Hour, there was no impact felt, just at the end of the day, several small (really small) chips missing. Like a cookie crumbling. My Arbor Coda from a few years back, was beat to hell from groomers at Big Bear. I mean, no jibbing, no major jumping, no trees, nothing. Just riding down groomers and there are micro chips up top, and like a cheese grater was ran across the bottom.

Still rode fine, just weird after a couple days of groomer riding.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Yep, the only Arbor I ever owned looked like absolute hell after only about 15 days. Topsheet had multiple chips, scratches, and spiderwebs and the base had 3-4 core shots. Rode fine, but it was not holding up well at all. That was a one and done for me and Arbor.

*To be fair, I should add that this board was from prior to when they moved their manufacturing to the Dubai facility.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,478 Posts
Dings n scratches are "battlefield scars". Wear them with pride, they show that your board has/had a life. (That was the coreshot from the shark fin in X... this was the ding from the tree run in Z, awesome day! And those scratches are from no clue which day, but it sure was a great day out there...)

Go n ride n use that thing, make sure you've a lot of fun while collecting many more of those marks. It's a snowboard, not a Fabergé egg :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
That looks like a lift line scar. It's all part of snowboarding and it will consistently happen. I see too many people worrying about knicks and stuff like that especially on the top sheet where it doesn't affect performance in any way. Boards are meant to be used, like mentioned above they're battle scars and give some character.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Totally agree with Neni. They're meant to be ridden, don't sweat the small stuff.

Here's the result of my first full day on a brand new Flight Attendant, beautiful slushy spring day where a shark came out... It was also the start of the best snowboarding road trip I've had yet, great memories.

Attachments

Reactions: neni

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Totally agree with Neni. They're meant to be ridden, don't sweat the small stuff.

Here's the result of my first full day on a brand new Flight Attendant, beautiful slushy spring day where a shark came out... It was also the start of the best snowboarding road trip I've had yet, great memories.
Ouch. Now that one hurts.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Beat up boards are awesome.

Carbonium is nothing but some carbon fiber sticker thingy..... 3M makes some. I can turn any top sheet ino a carbonium topsheet with like $15. It's nice and grippy and looks cool.

Looks cooler when scratched.

Goddam sharks.... one of those BLIND days i ran into a rocky peak... didnt know what it was, didnt even see it coming... just heard the screech and bailed. I also could have sworn I was going slower..... When I saw the base: it's ptex time baby. No big deal.

So yeah... dont sweat it. Just because you paid all that cash for a brand new NS doesnt mean it's actually worth it :giggle: :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts