Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried out the Orca 2021 on groomers the other day and I wanted to give my first thought. I'm an intermediate rider so at first I was worried with its stiffness and alternative feel. I'm yet to take it into its natural habitat of powder but I'm super keen to do so. Below are some notes on my first experience and would be great to hear from you all on your experience and how an intermediate rider should go about with such a unique board (looking to progress onto jumps with this). Would be cool to hear how this differs to other longer, more rocker profiled powder boards in terms of feel in the pow?

Where: Australia
Specs/set-up: 153, US 9.5 boots, Rome Crux bindings, 186cm & 85kg Intermediate rider
Snow: relatively hard pack with some rare softies here and there
Last years board: Nitro Team Gullwing

Big take always:
  • Edge hold: first time I went for a carve I took off like a rocket - could not believe how much grip it had - once I learned how to tame the beast I realised why so many have said this marine mammal is still fun on groomers. Also, first time experience with Magnetraction and I must say that every board used in Australian alp conditions should be legally enforced to have it - amazing feeling not having to worry about ice like that
  • Set back: didn't have it set up as far forward as possible while on groomers so I was still surprised for how good it felt and not unnatural
  • Ollies: being an intermediate rider, airs is something I'm still working on. But holy Shamu was this thing poppy! Nice recoil from the tail and it was nice and damp underfoot!
  • Powder: TBC but oh so keen

·
493 Posts
So I tried out the Orca 2021 on groomers the other day and I wanted to give my first thought. I'm an intermediate rider so at first I was worried with its stiffness and alternative feel. I'm yet to take it into its natural habitat of powder but I'm super keen to do so. Below are some notes on my first experience and would be great to hear from you all on your experience and how an intermediate rider should go about with such a unique board (looking to progress onto jumps with this). Would be cool to hear how this differs to other longer, more rocker profiled powder boards in terms of feel in the pow?

Specs/set-up: 153, US 9.5 boots, Rome Crux bindings, 186cm & 85kg Intermediate rider

Big take always:
  • Edge hold: first time I went for a carve I took off like a rocket - could not believe how much grip it had - once I learned how to tame the beast I realised why so many have said this marine mammal is still fun on groomers. Also, first time experience with Magnetraction and I must say that every board used in Australian alp conditions should be legally enforced to have it - amazing feeling not having to worry about ice like that
  • Set back: didn't have it set up as far forward as possible while on groomers so I was still surprised for how good it felt and not unnatural
  • Ollies: being an intermediate rider, airs is something I'm still working on. But holy Shamu was this thing poppy! Nice recoil from the tail and it was nice and damp underfoot!
Awesome mate, pleased to see people getting out. Looked really patchy from some photos I saw so let’s hope we see some more falls early.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So you are 85kg, 6'1" and grabbed a "153" Orca (freeride/powder) for Australia?

Where did you ride. See only Merritts and Friday Flats just opened at Thredbo. 8 chair at Perisher. Not much snow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Where did you ride. See only Merritts and Friday Flats just opened at Thredbo. 8 chair at Perisher. Not much snow.
Yes. Rode mostly the quad at Perisher. Just did laps there as nothing was open. Snow guns provided enough cover though. Surprised how fun it was in below average conditions. Keen for a powder day.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Big take always:
How light did the 2021 orca feel? I have the OG Orca, im curious if it got so much lighter from the horsepower construction. That they added for 2021?
On the other hand, I can tell you that the Orca is the most fun pow board i have ever ridden.
It turns the pow field into a park board in pow. You can charge fast, spin, flip and land huge drops with so much stability!

·
Registered
13 Posts
How light did the 2021 orca feel? I have the OG Orca, im curious if it got so much lighter from the horsepower construction. That they added for 2021?
On the other hand, I can tell you that the Orca is the most fun pow board i have ever ridden.
It turns the pow field into a park board in pow. You can charge fast, spin, flip and land huge drops with so much stability!
Also had the original Orca and just bought the 2021. There is no noticeable difference in weight. So far it feels the same, but yet to get it on snow. Not expecting any difference though. Stiffness & weight all feel the same, which is no complaint.

·
Registered
11 Posts

This year is going to be interesting for the resorts. Victoria's just hit lockdown which means no one from Metro Melbourne can go to slopes. Interstate travel is shot too. On the plus side - might be able to snag a board at a good deal if things are quiet

·
Registered
6 Posts

Big take always:
I'm so jelly!!

Got my first board last year, a GNU Carbon Credit but have been lusting over the Orca since last year!!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
This year is going to be interesting for the resorts. Victoria's just hit lockdown which means no one from Metro Melbourne can go to slopes. Interstate travel is shot too. On the plus side - might be able to snag a board at a good deal if things are quiet
It doesn't auger well for the season, but the snow base isn't anything special right now.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

Big take always:
Been riding the Orca the last two seasons and noticed a few things that work well. This board responds very well to independent foot movement. Try moving your back and forefoot independently and it gets very surfy. Don't be afraid to lean side/forward while rear foot heel down/ front foot heel up to tighten turns, the nose supports a lot of pressure.

Porky Boi: Some benefits to the lockdown, last powder days this year were awesome hiking, got my snow shoes ready in case that's the story this year. So worth the hike, Loveland Pass was the best I have ever seen it, three days and not packed out. (gotta dodge the forest service though)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I pre-ordered the 2021 Orca last month. I think I get it in October. I also picked up a pair of heavily discounted NOW Drive bindings to go on it when it arrives. Hopefully we will have a season and I'll get to spend some time on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts