Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's hope it stays, with plenty more to come!

Austria for one is getting ready for the 2021/22 season, apré-ski included, with some measures in place. They can't afford to lose another season.

This is a screen shot of one of the web cams at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, one of Austria's best kept secrets. My wife and I worked a season there once before, and to be honest, we don't really care to try anything else. This resort has something for everyone; from huge beginners/kids parks to 70% kamikaze and many other grades of off-piste slopes. The base/village is already at 1600meters, with the peak at 2800m. 68 lifts with just over 200km of groomed pistes.

Cloud Atmosphere Sky Moon Mountain

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

Austria for one is getting ready for the 2021/22 season, apré-ski included, with some measures in place. They can't afford to lose another season.

This is a screen shot of one of the web cams at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, one of Austria's best kept secrets. My wife and I worked a season there once before, and to be honest, we don't really care to try anything else. This resort has something for everyone; from huge beginners/kids parks to 70% kamikaze and many other grades of off-piste slopes. The base/village is already at 1600meters, with the peak at 2800m. 68 lifts with just over 200km of groomed pistes.

View attachment 159169
Any idea what those 'measures' might be?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 159169
I spent a whole week in Serfaus three years ago and can attest that it's an amazing resort. Unfortunately there was no fresh snow to speak of, but the resort's huge area and slopes' variety (including some crazy steeps) kept me entertained the whole time. Can fully recommend it!

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 159169

View attachment 159169
hey man! totally agree with you, Serfaus is just insane! Love it. However, there´s soooo much more in Tirol too! Have you thought of other options? Always depending on what it is that you look for when choosing a ski resort :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
hey man! totally agree with you, Serfaus is just insane! Love it. However, there´s soooo much more in Tirol too! Have you thought of other options? Always depending on what it is that you look for when choosing a ski resort :)
I don't actually choose, the chalet company that employs my wife and I chooses for us ;-) After Fiss, Sankt Anton, Ischgl, Flachau, Hinterglemm and Saalbach is also on the cards for the coming season :) They asked if we have a preference, so we gave them those resorts, in that order, but they will still ultimately decide.

Basically any resort that has reliable snow will do, man made or natural. We've been on holiday to Whistler/Blackcomb, Revelstoke and Mount Washington, the later 2 resorts don't even have snow making equipment because they usually don't need it. Rev also has the highest vertical drop in N America, some 1500m. I guess one thing I do look for is long, fairly steep, cruising runs. Took me about 25 mins to get down the longest run at Rev. I also like off-piste, if I can get there first after a good dump (of snow).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't actually choose, the chalet company that employs my wife and I chooses for us ;-) After Fiss, Sankt Anton, Ischgl, Flachau, Hinterglemm and Saalbach is also on the cards for the coming season :) They asked if we have a preference, so we gave them those resorts, in that order, but they will still ultimately decide.

Basically any resort that has reliable snow will do, man made or natural. We've been on holiday to Whistler/Blackcomb, Revelstoke and Mount Washington, the later 2 resorts don't even have snow making equipment because they usually don't need it. Rev also has the highest vertical drop in N America, some 1500m. I guess one thing I do look for is long, fairly steep, cruising runs. Took me about 25 mins to get down the longest run at Rev. I also like off-piste, if I can get there first after a good dump (of snow).
That’s solid choice right there! I’ve never been to Saalbach Hinterglemm, but I’ve been to St Anton and Ischgl as they’re both about 1 hour from home and I would say:
Go to Sankt Anton if you: love shredding powder and like those steep (and long!!!) pow runs that make every freerider’s heart beat faster.
Go to Ischgl if you: love carving on tip top perfectly groomed pistes and especially après ski, night life, as Iachgl is one of the most famous “party resort” in Tyrol!
Both cool places though!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That’s solid choice right there! I’ve never been to Saalbach Hinterglemm, but I’ve been to St Anton and Ischgl as they’re both about 1 hour from home and I would say:
Go to Sankt Anton if you: love shredding powder and like those steep (and long!!!) pow runs that make every freerider’s heart beat faster.
Go to Ischgl if you: love carving on tip top perfectly groomed pistes and especially après ski, night life, as Iachgl is one of the most famous “party resort” in Tyrol!
Both cool places though!
Like I say, even though we have submitted a preference, this decision is ultimately going to be made for us by the chalet company. If we were given free choice, I'll have a hard time choosing, because I know you can't go wrong with any of those resorts.

My first Austrian snow experience was in Stubaier-Gletscherbahn, in May of 2011. Even at that time of year there was still decent snow, up on top.

Fiss is not famous for apré ski. The Hexenalm is the only apré-ski bar in Fiss, right at the bottom of the main slope. It is good enough for me, because I can't apre-ski like I used to :)

These guys came and performed live in Fiss at the end of season party in 2012 in the big restaurant on top of the mountain. The whole resort was invited. Gondolas ran all night. I barely remember how we got back to the chalet....

Accordionist Musical instrument Free reed aerophone Band plays Musician

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like I say, even though we have submitted a preference, this decision is ultimately going to be made for us by the chalet company. If we were given free choice, I'll have a hard time choosing, because I know you can't go wrong with any of those resorts.

My first Austrian snow experience was in Stubaier-Gletscherbahn, in May of 2011. Even at that time of year there was still decent snow, up on top.

Fiss is not famous for apré ski. The Hexenalm is the only apré-ski bar in Fiss, right at the bottom of the main slope. It is good enough for me, because I can't apre-ski like I used to :)

These guys came and performed live in Fiss at the end of season party in 2012 in the big restaurant on top of the mountain. The whole resort was invited. Gondolas ran all night. I barely remember how we got back to the chalet....

View attachment 159212
Speaking of Stubaier Gletscher.

i was there today and found a mountain face with some pow on 😁

Sky Snow Water Slope Mountain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts