Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to get some opinions from experienced riders. I have been snowboarding one week a season now for around 6 years. I'd put myself around the intermediate level I guess. I can link turns but am working on being able to do it more consistently and smoothly and I am comfortable on most runs. I dont go crazy fast, mostly cruising and I don't spend any time in the park yet. I mostly just do groomers and some fresh pow if it's a good day at the resort. I am buying the K2 raygun but am having a hard time choosing what length. I know its personal preference and all that but i dont know what my personal preference is yet. the boards i rented have mostly been in the 151 range and i do fairly well with this. I'd just like an opinion on choosing between the 150 or the 153 or even to see if I am overthinking it. If I am overthinking feel free to tell me.

Height - 5'7.5"
Weight - 148 lbs
Boot size - 10
Bindings - Large Salomon Holograms
Ride - Regular
Stance - +15/-6, width unknown

·
Registered
767 Posts
at your weight i'd look at the 53 or 56, depending what kind of mountain you ride at. A bigger board will do better handling bigger terrain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I guess I keep trying to talk myself into the shorter board for ease of turn initiation but I just feel I would be selling myself short if I did and made those faster runs and more powdery runs less fun. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first board is a raygun 159. Im 5"11 at 80kgs

. Never really riden anything else so i crnt comment but it is nice and forgiving taken a bit of a thrashing and still going strong?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
With an effective edge difference of only 2.54 cm between the two I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys. I think if I end up going with the 150 I'll end up thinking I should've gone with the 153. Thanks

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Either. Go with the 153 especially if no park yet. You won't notice much difference.

I personally like shorter boards so I'd go with the 150. I'm a shorter guy though, 5'6". 145lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a big guy either as you saw that earlier, so it sounds like its almost a flip of the coin as there is little difference between the 150 and the 153. And I did see that it's like an inch difference of effective edge between the two. I feel like I'm still progressing as I only go 3-4 days a year and I'd be more confident on the slightly shorter board. I appreciate all the input guys, really

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if the the rental boards where mid-wide or wide? The Raygun (150) has a waist width of 245 mm, which is pretty narrow for a size 10 boot and a -6 stance.

The waist width is of course not the only parameter, but I would check this with the manufacturers help center if I was you. I'm actually in the same situation, having 10.5 boot size and trying to figure out if I could size down to a Rome agent rocker 153 (waist width 250 mm). The Rome e-mail rider council seems to have other things to do than answer mails right now..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the measurement of the width of the mounts is 260 mm(26cm) and my boots are around 28-29cm at the sole so I figure 1-2cm overhang is good right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the measurement of the width of the mounts is 260 mm(26cm) and my boots are around 28-29cm at the sole so I figure 1-2cm overhang is good right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts