Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which board for freestyle

Hi, I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on buying a board.
I'm currently in the process of buying my first board. I'm 5'9 and 78kg, I have a specific board that I'm after (The Bataleon She W) and the weight limit for the 149cm is 55-80kg, (it's not important but I thought I'd add that I am getting in shape as I've recently taken snowboarding up again so I'm hoping to lose another 10-15kg so I will be within the weight range for the board even more so).
I've tested a 149cm board numerous times on an indoor slope and found it's ok to ride both normally and freestyle and when learning on the slope I used a 151cm as they didn't have any 149cm.
I'm wanting the board more for freestyle anyway and have heard that a freestyle board is best to be slightly smaller even though I've been recommended a 153cm-157cm board but that seems a lot larger than what I've used before.
So I was wondering in anyone else opinion if it would be ok for my height and weight to ride a 149cm?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
586 Posts
The 153-157cm length recommendation is pretty accurate I would say. Losing weight can be both difficult and time consuming. My recommendation would be to pick a board with the center of the weight range is half way between your current weight and your target weight. That way you will have a board that works well now and later.

Using a board that is a bit short is normal for learning and probably just fine for indoor. As you advance and tackle bigger outdoor terrain, you will want more stability.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Yes, you can ride the 149, but PR is correct as well. I'm 105kg and the boards I rode this year were a 155, 158 and 164, from soft-ish to stiff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 153-157cm length recommendation is pretty accurate I would say. Losing weight can be both difficult and time consuming. My recommendation would be to pick a board with the center of the weight range is half way between your current weight and your target weight. That way you will have a board that works well now and later.

Using a board that is a bit short is normal for learning and probably just fine for indoor. As you advance and tackle bigger outdoor terrain, you will want more stability.
Would you say to go more on weight than height then? The board that I've had my eye on since it came out this season has a weight range of 55kg-80kg for the 149cm and I'm currently 78kg hoping to go down to at least 68kg

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's almost always better to size by weight than by height. The only exceptions being when someone is extremely tall or short for their weight. Your ratio of height to weight is pretty normal so sizing a board by weight should be a very good fit.

Speaking of height and weight, many women's boards will not fit you very well. You are more powerful than most women and therefore will want a larger board to handle that power.

Looking at the Bataleon She W, I don't think it's a great fit for you. I'm about your height and weight and I would ride roughly the following lengths:

Park board that I rarely take out of the park = 151-153 cm
Do everything board whole mountain including park = ~154-157cm
Freeride board for charging = ~158-161cm

You may need to look at other brands and models to find a board that will suit you better. Some companies run their women's board up to larger sizes than Bataleon. I think you should probably be looking for something in the 150-152cm range for park only or 153-155cm range for all mountain freestyle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts