Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have been snowboarding for quite a while now, however i have only ridden rentals. I have decided to buy my own board, as the rental companies do not have wide boards. I am a tall guy at 202 cm and a bodyweight at around 115 kg. I usually ride offpist, but mostly the small tracks and stuff right beside the slope. I have been lookin at salomon sight and FTWO blackdeck at bluetomato, as they are very cheap. I have my own boots. My footsize is a 46, and i often experience shoe drag if i do sharp turns, therefore i would like to try a wideboard. Do u guys have any suggestions? I would like it to be cheap, however i am willing to pay a bit more for a better board.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not as big (191cm and 90+kg) experienced but also have big feet and looking at getting my first board.... there are some good deals on the 2018 Nitro prime as long as you don't mind red. They both a 163W and 165W.
Now I might get this wrong but i think it's a flat out rocker(?) and with a bit more of a set back stance than the sight should make it nice to get the nose up in powder. Though maybe not good in the really deep stuff. It's not an advanced board i think but it looks like it's good value. I've never ridden it mind, just spent the last few days nerding up on it. I know jack all and have been on a board 4 days last season so mayhaps a second opinion is better sought.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think flat base boards are often overlooked by beginners in favour of something more "exotic". Like many I learnt on a stiff full camber board but after a few years started riding a board similar to the Prime and quickly made rapid progress. What I like about flat (zero camber) boards is that you get the uninterrupted continuous sidecut, same as a camber board, but with a more forgiving nature. They are usually softer flexing too.

I still ride full camber, in fact I have a new board for this season, because I love carving across the piste but I have 2 flat base boards (a 162 stiff board and a 147 soft) which are predomiantly powder boards and enjoy both of them, "never wipe-out".

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you are a 46, you need a wide board. In any case, Wiredsport will help you determine that. Since you have wipeouts, something is wrong, and you don't have the right setup to fully enjoy snowboarding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much for your replies!! I Think i Will buy the nitro prime 165W, would that be a solid choice? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And what about bindings, does it matter, or should i just go for the cheaper one? My boots are burton ambush, if that makes any difference

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Dude at 115kg you are going to want some quality meat, just because of the forces/pressure that you will be dealing with. I think you should be on at least a wide 165+...more like a 168, mid stiff advanced board. Also get the stiffest boots and bindings you can find. Even if just cruising at a relatively slow 40kph you will have massive forces...let alone when you get up to speed at say 80kph you are going to want something you can depend on.

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
Hi there!

I have been snowboarding for quite a while now, however i have only ridden rentals. I have decided to buy my own board, as the rental companies do not have wide boards. I am a tall guy at 202 cm and a bodyweight at around 115 kg. I usually ride offpist, but mostly the small tracks and stuff right beside the slope. I have been lookin at salomon sight and FTWO blackdeck at bluetomato, as they are very cheap. I have my own boots. My footsize is a 46, and i often experience shoe drag if i do sharp turns, therefore i would like to try a wideboard. Do u guys have any suggestions? I would like it to be cheap, however i am willing to pay a bit more for a better board.
Hi Mads,

The best spot to start is with your actual barefoot measurements. This is the key to correct sizing for board, boots, and bindings.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts