Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My wife is both a teacher and an idealist. That means 3 personal days and no cheating with her sick days....I know, right?As such any long trip she will be joining me on must be during peak holiday weekends or spring break. Most of our short weekend trips are to Vermont.

Anyway, we're hoping to get a big trip or two this year. We're looking to find the best snow and smallest crowds we can during the first week of April. Since this is one of our longer trips we're willing to make the trek out to remote areas as opposed to something easy to reach that will be swamped. I'm in an area with multiple airports and can find a flight to almost anywhere - North America or Europe.

While we're at it, what places would you suggest for MLK or Preseidents day? (Most likely not going to even bother over XMAS break).Those trips would require somewhere easier to reach and domestic to North America in order to get the most days on mountain. I hope I don't come across as someone looking to crash your hidden gem local spot...but I guess thats what I aim to do lol. I'll tell you what, beers will be on me! If you want to DM me thats cool too.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Veteran Member
11,536 Posts
Given April time frame, I would look at California if they are having a good season. If it's sunny and warm, the spring skiing is the best in North America hands down. If it's snowing, bonus. Mammoth or Tahoe, doesn't really matter. April is also when the crowds die down, so most spots will be decent in that regard. Unless of course it is dumping.

MLK? Everywhere sees an increase then. Destination areas will be less crowded than areas near a major metro. Even then, you'll probably be dealing with above average crowds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I looked at a Tahoe trip a few years ago in mid-April. Bad snow year and not worth the trip so we bailed.

Since most people will be looking south for trips that time of the year, you will likely be able to wait until March to pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
April is honestly my favourite month here in Banff, and we don't get many crowds at all. Maximum snow depth so everything is open, and could be anything from cold deep winter temps still, heavy spring powder days, or warm bluebird days. Plus the conversion is heavily in your favour.

By April spring season passes are in effect too, so depending on how long you'd be out here for, can be well worth it. Sometime mid feb or early march Sunshine usually does a Spring Pass flash sale around the $300 mark, regularly closer to $450ish I think. Even if you're here for 7 days, and buy day tickets twice at Lake Louise, that's $375ish USD for 7 days of riding.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Depending on the snow year, higher elevation resorts in interior BC can be still dumping in April, while the masses have moved on to gardening and boating

Canada would also be a good bet for MLK weekend

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
MLK and Presidents day honestly near any metro areas are some of if not the busiest weekends on the mountain, yes even way more than Christmas. You want an empty resort, go ride Christmas day New Years Eve or New Years, mountain nearly to yourself. MLK weekend was literally Black Friday for sales for the resort I worked at, and Presidents day a close second where as I could take time off and call off over Xmas.

As for April my brother is a teacher as well which has made our yearly week long trips always a gamble trying to match up spring break. If you understand not expectign fresh snow your options are pretty open as long as you can adapt. You are looking at Cali and the PNW almost exclusively. Colorado will have some but for the price and snow pack depth you'll want west coast (at least in NA)

Our experiences

Baker: 1st year had to cancel due to historically low snow the mountain closed in March, we rode Bachelor for a few days instead. Sunny slush but 100% open so it was fine. Second year it snowed every day. Was wet and heavy but epic

Whitewater: This is likely to be their closing week. But dont let that scare you. We did this two years, spring break matched final week of operations. They close because of lack of crowds not snow. We got feet of snow while there one year. The snowpack last well past the season, the snowpack is often near its deepest at the end of the season.

For Cali: Mammoth is FAR more reliable than Tahoe but if it's not a bad snow year either are fine. Mammoth stays open till July often so April is going to be just fine. Tahoe it seems lately has been either Mecca or a desert. It use to be some of the most reliable snow but that drought period was rough, here's to hoping its past.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Teaching in Colorado, people understood when I used sick days for mid week powder hunting. They were able to match my attendance to the weather after awhile. Can't fault someone for taking care of their mental health. I never took sick time lumped together in a premeditated fashion though, so I get where your wife is coming from.

Colorado gets pretty blown out all around spring break time. It's easy to get lost in crowds and lift lines if you don't know the mountain well. Even the traffic and parking situations are demoralizing. I love it here, but if I was flying I'd go somewhere else.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Baker: 1st year had to cancel due to historically low snow the mountain closed in March, we rode Bachelor for a few days instead. Sunny slush but 100% open so it was fine. Second year it snowed every day. Was wet and heavy but epic
Yer 1st yr sucked...I remember that year. Otherwise it could be any snow conditions, white out puking, corn, slush, rain or ice. It's generally quiet as for crowds and public schools vs the university have different spring brake times. The other thing is that in April, Baker lift served only runs on F,S & S's but BC is wide open and you can rent BC gear in Glacier. Also during that time of year things are usually well filled in and you can do some steep lines. OP, let me know if you want specifics or intel.

You might sort out a couple places and then go based on weather cycles...my rec would be investigate powder valley bc, whitefish MT with pnw backup of Bend, Hood, Baker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts