Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. The new season is coming soon, and I want to make my board to be usable for this season, and for the next one I am planning a new one..

I bought this board from my friend(secound hand), and it was my first year, I was learning basics. The most damage is on the front toe's side while I was practicing.. the other ones are similar like this but in the middle of the toe's side and they are hardly accessible to place a glue or something here.. I hope you have solution for me. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
If that is just the top sheet, I cut the peeled back piece of with a razor blade to make it smooth. Then used marine epoxy to cover the exposed part under the top sheet. Kept the epoxy a nice even layer and smoothed it out to about the same height as the top sheet. It's held up for two season now.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Is there any video so I can see how it goes?
I don't know one off hand. My steps were using a box cutter to remove the portion of the top sheet that was peeling and make nice smooth edges. Then cleaned the area and mixed up the marine epoxy. Then used a tongue depressor or wooden stick to apply it to the board where I had cut away the damaged topsheet and smoothed it out. Flush with the topsheet. Once it dried (about 24 hours depending on what you buy) I smoothed it down even more so it was more flush with the topsheet. Haven't had an issue.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There is no need for the epoxy part. The core is not exposed, so all you have to do is cut off the 'flappy' pieces of topsheet.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
There is no need for the epoxy part. The core is not exposed, so all you have to do is cut off the 'flappy' pieces of topsheet.
From what I have heard from snowboard shops, leaving it exposed like that can cause ice/snow on the board to get under the topsheet. Once it melts the water can creep under the topsheet and peel it back more. Continuing the delamination.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,452 Posts
From what I have heard from snowboard shops, leaving it exposed like that can cause ice/snow on the board to get under the topsheet. Once it melts the water can creep under the topsheet and peel it back more. Continuing the delamination.
^this^

Might not actually be necessary for all I kno, but I wouldn't risk the possibility of further de-lam for the sake of a little epoxy & modicum of effort to seal it. :shrug:

Reactions: phillyphan

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Is that the top sheet though? That looks like the base to me in that photo. Then it becomes a completely different discussion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My board is not so much expensive and it's old. And yes, that's the top sheet, that's like a soft plastic sheet and it's flexible in one way, if I turn it back it will broke, so the maximum angle is to place it in his old position and glue the place.

I don't know what kind of material are made the top sheets of the new boards these days that you are using, but I am 100% sure they are not the same with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts