Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So now I've put enough days on these to draw some conclusions.

Pros:
Responsive - especially heel side.
Feel locked in
Damp
Comfortable
Fast exit
Faster entry - sometimes.
Good Customer Service/Warranty support

On to the downsides...
Cons:
The dial on the hi-back on your rear foot keeps loosening up, so you have to check it every run. (Edit: See posts #2 and #9 about the electric tape mod which solves this issue).

Also on the rear foot, my toe strap "lock" keeps brushing up against skis on the chair lift and unlocking, so again you have to double check the toe strap every run. Since everybody in my family skis except me, this is a constant issue for me. Sometimes I can go multiple runs without issues, but you always have to check. (Edit: Now that I've put some more time on these, this has become less of an issue and since the binding/ratchet doesn't loosen up when unlocked, it is a non-issue)

I've run into a similar problem with K2 cinch toe straps years ago. These are engineering problems IMHO. The "lock" on the toe strap (and ankle strap) are easy to unlock. Personally, I'd just do away with mechanism altogether as it doesn't seem to really serve any purpose. If Flow feels consumers really want a binding that operates like a standard or rear entry, then I suggest they try some regular buckles and do away with the locking mechanism. I'm considering replacing the buckles with some Burtons. The dial on the hiback is just easy to turn - way too easy. So if there isn't constant pressure on the dial, it loosens up. I've had other Flows that didn't suffer from this issue.

As for the fusion strap, I like it. I've never tried a hybrid strap, but I started riding years before toe cap style straps came out, so the fusion strap feels natural to me. Overall, I like the bindings, but they really aren't saving me any time at the top of the mountain because I'm double checking the rear binding and potentially stopping to make adjustments. I do like the performance and Flows do have a unique feel that I like. So if you're looking at Flows, the amount of time they save you is minimal. Buy them for the feel and performance of the binding.

I did get a pair with a warped toe strap ladder. I went thru Evo (where I bought the bindings) for warranty replacement. They contacted Flow and I had a pair of new straps in ~10 days.

One other thing to consider is these bindings are "big". They don't fold as flat as most bindings. I put my snow board in a bag, so I have to undo the ladder straps at the end of the day to get them to fit in the bag. Probably wouldn't be an issue with smaller boards, but I ride 163+ boards. Just something to keep in mind if you travel with your board alot, or if you're like me and keep your board bagged.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Great review Jimi7, i too have the Flow fuse GT fusion and also the hybrid binding on my go to boards. I agree on the comfort, but for me the hybrid was a bit more responsive. The solution i have for the highback dial was to put a electrical tape around the dial so it would not loosen while you have your highback is dragging on the snow, or you could use a green loctite and apply them on the threads. Honestly, i DO still have them, although i switched to Step-on bindings and even bought a second one.;)

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about electrical tape to fix both my issues. Had I known my both my boots and my bindings would crap out on me a few weeks apart, I probably would have invested in the Burton Step-on system, but I'm pretty happy with what I've have.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update, now that I've put some more miles on the bindings, the rear hi-back dial seems to stay put more often. I'd guess after a full season that problem may go away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just an update, now that I've put some more miles on the bindings, the rear hi-back dial seems to stay put more often. I'd guess after a full season that problem may go away.
I have some NX2-CX hybrids from a couple years ago (before the ExoFrame strap redesign). My forward lean dial on the back foot always spins its way to some rando setting too on the lift. :/

That's weird about the LSR's on your (fusion?) strap getting unbuckled. is it not "snap" locking correctly? do the Fuse-GT's have the aluminum or plastic ratchets, I forget. I think the aluminum NX2 ones latch more securely.

I like my hybrids, but zero time is saved IMO with these because I have to futz with the toe strap both in/out to get it where I want it (at least with my K2's). I've been watching a bit of Tim Humphreys lately (Nidecker Flow Team) and on his NX2(?) Fusions he seems to have zero issues getting in and out of them. Which makes me think maybe it's time to go back to that strap design. (Edit: he appears to be using the new '22 NX2-TM's in the linked video)

How's your boot to baseplate fit? Seems to me one is either "swimming" with lots of surround boot space (that's me with an XL) or too narrow and rubbing up against the interior frame.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have some NX2-CX hybrids from a couple years ago (before the ExoFrame strap redesign). My forward lean dial on the back foot always spins its way to some rando setting too on the lift. :/

That's weird about the LSR's on your (fusion?) strap getting unbuckled. is it not "snap" locking correctly? do the Fuse-GT's have the aluminum or plastic ratchets, I forget. I think the aluminum NX2 ones latch more securely.

I like my hybrids, but zero time is saved IMO with these because I have to futz with the toe strap both in/out to get it where I want it (at least with my K2's). I've been watching a bit of Tim Humphreys lately (Nidecker Flow Team) and on his NX2(?) Fusions he seems to have zero issues getting in and out of them. Which makes me think maybe it's time to go back to that strap design.

How's your boot to baseplate fit? Seems to me one is either "swimming" with lots of surround boot space (that's me with an XL) or too narrow and rubbing up against the interior frame.
That video also cuts out after he gets his boot in so it's possible he adjusted both the binding straps and we just never saw it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That video also cuts out after he gets his boot in so it's possible he adjusted both the binding straps and we just never saw it.
I've seen Tim H. in other videos strap in and he just snaps up the highback and goes. (there's a bunch on his YT account). Ditto getting out, there is no "heel vs highback struggle." ;) He could be riding pretty loose though.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I get them snapped down correctly. I think a lot of is just my kids swinging their skis around. I was riding my Burton Cartels this weekend and somehow my rear toe strap snagged in my son's ski brake when were dismounting. They really need to outlaw skis.....

I like my hybrids, but zero time is saved IMO with these because I have to futz with the toe strap both in/out to get it where I want it (at least with my K2's). I've been watching a bit of Tim Humphreys lately (Nidecker Flow Team) and on his NX2(?) Fusions he seems to have zero issues getting in and out of them. Which makes me think maybe it's time to go back to that strap design. (Edit: he appears to be using the new '22 NX2-TM's in the linked video)

There is some slop with mine, but hasn't been an issue for me. Riding my Cartels this weekend, I have to say the Flows don't save much if any time if you can strap in standing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Updating my experience with the Flows. I tried the electrical tape around the high back dial and it worked like a champ. I actually wrapped grafters tape first then electrical over that to avoid getting sticky shyt everywhere. No more issues with the highback. I'm in and out of bindings as quickly as Step-ins now. The Flows are now my go to bindings and the Cartels are relegated to back up duty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's a pic of the high back mod.
ah so the tape holds up the cable, as well as wrapping the nut, good idea. :)

To be honest, with the newer NX2-TM's I haven't had as much problem with forward lean knob slippage as with past models. I do check it every other run or so to make sure it's where I want it though. The index marks help with that, as well as trying to slip a finger between the boot and high back.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ah so the tape holds up the cable, as well as wrapping the nut, good idea. :)

To be honest, with the newer NX2-TM's I haven't had as much problem with forward lean knob slippage as with past models. I do check it every other run or so to make sure it's where I want it though. The index marks help with that, as well as trying to slip a finger between the boot and high back.
The tape isn't holding up the cable - I'm sure it's not strong enough to have any affect on the cable. I just ran it flush with the top of the dial because that seemed the best way to ensure that dial didn't get turned for any reason. It worked. If I experience any issues in the future, there is a flat section just below the dial that you could wedge something into. So wedge something into that space plus some tape and that dial isn't going anywhere. :cool:

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts