Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Flow Whiteout size 159 based on a recommendation from Nivek. Here are my thoughts.

Stats: 215 lbs, 5'10" size 10.5 boots Bindings: 12, -12 (normal)
47 years old

Conditions: Warm (50 deg) with ice and chop in the morning and slush in the afternoon.

Riding: 2 days on it at Purgatory, Colorado with 1/2 day in the park, 1/2 day on moguls/steeps (icy and slushy), 1/2 day on groomers and about 1/2 of a day spent goofing around with little spins, butters, side hits, rock drops, and some medium sized jumps.

Thoughts: Nivek said that this board is a quiver of one and he was spot on. No powder at all but for the conditions, this board was perfect. It only took me a couple runs to get comfortable on it and I noticed immediately that this board absorbs chop and crappy snow better than anything that I have ridden. It is a very comfy ride. The board is lively but not too stiff. It jumps amazingly well at least up to the medium sized terrain park jumps. I landed long and short as I was figuring out the jump speed and the board soaked up my errors and I was able to ride away unscathed.

I'm not a good jibber but I do some basic 50/50s and board slides. It was no problem...actually I was able to hit a rainbow rail fast enough to jump off the top and land past the end of the rail...first time doing that for me. Pretty fun.

The most amazing thing was early in the morning on the icy moguls. I thought they would be pretty tough as it isn't my favorite mogul conditions. It was awesome...I had no trouble with edge hold and was able to do 180s and keep on trucking switch. It was pretty awesome in these conditions...I've never had so much confidence in a board in such crappy conditions. It only got better as the snow softened in the afternoon. I typically like a little shorter snowboard for moguls because they turn so much faster and you can really keep a tight line. Honestly, I was better in the moguls on this board than I am on my 155 Assassin...and that board rocks in moguls.

I'm not a great carver but I've been trying to get better this year and this board is just the ticket. It holds an edge amazingly well and I was able to thin out my carve lines a bit.

I was surprised at how this board just kept working better and better on groomers as I went faster and faster. I've been on a lot of CRC boards in the past few years and I always reach a speed where I just don't feel comfortable on the board. Not true on the Whiteout...I was able to ride "old man fast" on this thing with complete confidence :)

Finally, I am a bit of a hucker off of rock drops. I only get out to CO a couple times each year and I want to get better at them so I keep trying and trying...I generally crash more than I land. This time I landed all but 1. They were small drops from 4-8'. I attribute much of this to the board. It landed so well and inspired a high level of confidence. I was actually so confident that I attempted my first 180 off a small drop...crashed that one though! ha ha

All in all, this is a perfect all mountain freestyle snowboard for me. It does everything well. I have been searching for this board for 3 years...thank you so much Nivek for the recommendation!

The only downside is that it is a heavy board. My knees don't like the board hanging from them so I'm strange in that I alternate which foot I strap in with. If I had to hang this from the same leg all day, I guarantee that my knee would be hurting. I swapped boards with some friends each day to compare and I rode 2 runs on an Arbor Westmark (154 wide) and NS Proto CT (157). Both boards were much lighter...these are my two favorite boards so it was a great comparison. Too close to call...I need more time on the Flow...I have confidence that it will eventually take that top spot. Not quite yet though.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Glad you like it. The weight thing is a side effect of all the Kush Control tech. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's heavy, but it's not one of the lightest.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just got a 156 Whiteout and I'm 165 lbs. Love the board. Felt confident on it and can't wait to take it out again.

I noticed that it has a significant amount of camber on it compared to my custom X when laid flat on a table. The stiffness is IMO 8.5 out of 10. Granted, it might break in and become softer....??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it has a lot of camber for sure. Do you really think it is that stiff? I didn't feel like it was that stiff. I generally like a softer board and I thought this board pressed, buttered and flexed pretty nicely. Granted, I'm 215 on a 159 so that may be the difference.

That said, I think my Assassin 155 is stiffer than the flow.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, IMO, torsional stiffness and tip to tail stiffness was up there.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with this deck and I'll keep it in the rotation for sure. It's just something I observed on the snow. With a little more muscle, pressing and all around fun on the mountain, it felt great. That kush control works.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Update on my end....

I've been taking this board out a lot this year and been having a blast on it! I've been riding hard and it handles the entire mountain so well....keeps that shit eating grin going all day. Can't wait to take it out again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts