Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks I'll be flying out to CO to stay in Breck for spring break. My dad and I got into an argument: He thinks I should leave the board (a 2013 Proto CT) behind in PA and just rent out there. I want to bring the board since I paid a decent amount of money for it and it's only been used a couple times so far. I know that if I bring it out there I'll have to get a bag for it and pay any extra fees, but main question is do you think it'd be smarter to just bring the boots and rent once I'm there as opposed to bringing it on the trip?

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
How many days are you going to ride? If you're going to be riding several days, it'll be cheaper to bring your own, plus you'll have your gear. Flying out west to ride is a special occasion for most people, I'd bring your board. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I got stuck with US Air. I'll be out there from Friday to Sunday. And it has kind of become a tradition to go out there on spring break, so the bag will get future use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I flew southwest out in January. Take the board. No big deal. Wrap your coat around one end, your pants around the other & put it in the bag.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I flew southwest out in January. Take the board. No big deal. Wrap your coat around one end, your pants around the other & put it in the bag.
That's taking a chance, because several airlines will automatically nail you for the oversize bag fee if anything other than your board or boots are in the bag. I'm sure you can get away with it, but have a plan B if you don't want to pay an extra $175 (!) each way for having an oversize bag.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
With westjet it's only $20 + tax to take the board bag. Totally worth it. You'll probably break even on rental fees by the time you get the bag and pay the extra fees, but you'll be riding YOUR BOARD.

The only time I wouldn't take one would be if I owned a park board and I was heading to ride powder.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Most airlines will allow you to check your boardbag in as your first bag at no cost as long as it only contains one board, one set of binding and boots. Best thing is to call and verify with your airline what rules are currently in place. Once you know then you can decide to grab a bag or rent.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Most airlines will allow you to check your boardbag in as your first bag at no cost as long as it only contains one board, one set of binding and boots. Best thing is to call and verify with your airline what rules are currently in place. Once you know then you can decide to grab a bag or rent.
yeah they all say this but I've never had a problem stuffing 90% of my gear in to my bag (helmet, outerwear, boots, bindings, base layers, etc...) on Delta, Frontier, United, Spirit, Southwest, or American. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fly all the time and always bring my board. Southwest does not charge, if you're silver or higher with us airways for the frequent flyer program then they don't charge either. Get a padded bag so they don't jack your board up and make sure it weighs less than 50 lbs, you'll be good. Seriously, I do this at least 5-6 times per year. Already flown 4 times this season.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I always bring my board out west. My board fits my riding style and I believe I can get the most of my trips not having to adjust to new equipment. Also, better demo boards will probably set you back $60-$90 a day at Breckenridge so not sure how much you will be saving.

One other thought... I have used luggageforward.com to send my boardbag, suitcases and other stuff ahead of time directly to and from our hotel. Helps with little kids cuz I can't carry all thier stuff and mine, especially when lugging car seats!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Unfortunately, I got stuck with US Air. I'll be out there from Friday to Sunday. And it has kind of become a tradition to go out there on spring break, so the bag will get future use.
I just flew US Airways from Louisville to NYC to ride in Vermont. It was $25 for the board each way and I had a few extras in it like my helmet, googles, wrist guards, gloves. Just be careful because the first guy tried to charge me oversize fee and I immediately threw a fit and he realized he was wrong. Must have been his first day.

I would also recommend taking your board because price will be about the same but riding your board is much better than renting in my opinion. Just a little more of pain dealing with the board to and from the airports.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That's taking a chance, because several airlines will automatically nail you for the oversize bag fee if anything other than your board or boots are in the bag. I'm sure you can get away with it, but have a plan B if you don't want to pay an extra $175 (!) each way for having an oversize bag.
Southwest never, ever ever checks. I have two boards in there, my bindings, boots, helmet, goggles, glove, and my jacket and pants (Yeah I'm fucked if it gets lost :laugh:).

Ne'er a problem.

Hell I've thrown it on their scale and shit's gone past 50 lbs and they don't even look.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've flown into Denver on the US Air/United flights many times and it is no problem at all. I have status so they don't charge me a bag fee (and upgrade me to First Class) but even so... paying the bag fees is a better call so you can ride your own board versus spending the same amount of money (or more/less) to ride a rental and be miserable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going out next weekend to get a padded bag.

Straight from US's website: US Airways will accept 2 ski bags, however, 1 item of ski equipment consists of 1 pair of skis or snowboard, 1 pair of ski boots, 1 pair of ski poles and 1 pair of ski bindings.

So they'll most likely check inside? I might be able to get away with a pair of gloves or my goggles in there, but pants and helmet? I'll probably just wear my jacket on to the plane. My pants can be packed in my checked bag. And I guess I'll take my helmet on as a personal item.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts