Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have these? How does the riding feel compared to a rocker board? Do you like it?

Also, just ordered a Burton Deja vu Flying V board online in 146cm. Now i realize i think that is too big for me im female 5'2, 110 pounds. Will this be difficult for me to ride im in between beginner and intermediate. thanks

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
That's on the bigger size for your weight but totally rideable and really not too big at all. It's a fun forgiving deck with the ability to keep up when you wanna push it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone have these? How does the riding feel compared to a rocker board? Do you like it?

Also, just ordered a Burton Deja vu Flying V board online in 146cm. Now i realize i think that is too big for me im female 5'2, 110 pounds. Will this be difficult for me to ride im in between beginner and intermediate. thanks

Hey! I've got a Burton Custom Flying-V. I'm a dude - a 6 foot tall dude, so I ride a 160 board. But, wanted to tell you that these boards are fantastic. I demoed this board last season at Mammoth Mountain, and it cut through the slough like nobody's business. If you're looking for a powder board, this is the board for you. It also carves really well and is really forgiving.

Now, you're 5'2"... I would normally recommend a 142. A 146 is going to be harder to maneuver for you. Not impossible, but more difficult. With that in mind, if you're up for a challenge and are willing to put in the work to become an excellent snowboarder, more power to you. But it might be easier to learn on a shorter board.

That's all I've got for now. Best of luck. And consider visiting Mammoth Mountain! They just got over a foot of snow. Check out http://www.mammothtourism.com/mammoth-mountain-snow-report/

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Just a little bit of spam chucked in at the end there lol. At least you work harder than most spammers.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey! I've got a Burton Custom Flying-V. I'm a dude - a 6 foot tall dude, so I ride a 160 board. But, wanted to tell you that these boards are fantastic. I demoed this board last season at Mammoth Mountain, and it cut through the slough like nobody's business. If you're looking for a powder board, this is the board for you. It also carves really well and is really forgiving.

Now, you're 5'2"... I would normally recommend a 142. A 146 is going to be harder to maneuver for you. Not impossible, but more difficult. With that in mind, if you're up for a challenge and are willing to put in the work to become an excellent snowboarder, more power to you. But it might be easier to learn on a shorter board.

That's all I've got for now. Best of luck. And consider visiting Mammoth Mountain! They just got over a foot of snow. Check out
Spaming isn't helpful, adding in misinformation is even less helpful. Rarely ever does height have a direct relationship to board size. Weight is the most important number to look at when selecting board length

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mean you don't like the rule of thumb where you look for a board that, when stood on end, reaches somewhere between your chin and nose for most general riding purposes?

What size board would you recommend to her? Probably a 142.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You mean you don't like the rule of thumb where you look for a board that, when stood on end, reaches somewhere between your chin and nose for most general riding purposes?

I would say that's an old outdated rule since the way boards are made are different now.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
That's anywhere from 2-3 inches. Which is 5-7.5 cm. That could put someone on either a 150 or 157. Does that sound like a good rule of thumb to you?

·
Registered
890 Posts

I would say that's an old outdated rule since the way boards are made are different now.
I wouldn't really call it a rule... more of a guideline.

A person weight also plays a factor.

As well, how you intend to use the board.

then from there... you can always go shorter or longer... it's personal preferences.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
My trusty snowboad calc suggests a 140-142 for you (assuming an all-mountain riding preference, and an intermediate ability). But a 146 isn't going to be impossible. You're talking about a marginal difference.

What sized board were you riding before? What made you pick the 146?

·
Registered
256 Posts
To choose your type of board, you shouldn't only consider your height and your weight, but also the size of your feet is important. In my opinion the size of the board doesn't matter as much as the weight range and the waist width. Since bend of tip and tail differ on many boards, the size is just a secondary factor, so your board should be ok. But it should always fit your weight and your heels and toes shouldn't be hanging over more than ca. 1cm.
To come to your question of flying V boards. Of course it matters what others think, but these are just opinions. I've tested different flying V boards and they also feel different. The good thing is that they are a good match of camber plus rocker. But you you don't get the full advantages of either camber or rocker. So if there are any demo days on your local hill you definitely should not miss it! All in all they are a good invention if you do it all, from backcountry to park jumps and jibs, but it always comes down to your personal preferences, so try it out, get the feeling of it, and I'm sure you get used to it! Happy shredding!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Board size is dictated almost solely by weight and shoe size.

What type of rider are you aves? What size boot do you wear?

The 146 Deja Vu has a 240mm waist width, and is good for riders from 110lbs to 140lbs.

It will be just fine for you so long as you don't have the tiniest feet ever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts