Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foot burn, foot pain, pins and needles when wearing snowboarding boots - solved &#x1f

I had to share this to hopefully save a lot of people a lot of pain. My wife has suffered with foot pain ( mostly in the balls of her feet) ever since we started boarding about 16 years ago. We have tried everything, thin socks, thick socks, new boots, loose boots, moulded boots, new bindings, flow bindings, loose bindings and Rum!! We ha e spent hours in board shops trying different boots but after 10-15 mins the pins and needles/ numbness start. No “experts” have been able to help. This is without even being on a board.

We are off boarding soon and we’re determined to not go through this again so I started looking at the anatomy of the foot to see where the veins are that supply the majority of blood to the feet and it turn out there are two, one runs down the top of the foot. Some people’s veins run on or over the arch bone and pressing on this lightly with a finger can easily block blood flow to the toes. With this in mind I set about cutting the inner boot of her snowboard boots so that there was a large hole that meant no pressure was applied to this main vein. (Wish I could post a picture). The hole is about 1.5-2 inches wide and runs from just before where your toes start up to just before the ankle and along the highest part of the arch.

Bingo the pain/numbness foot burn is gone!

If you are suffering with continuous foot pain/numbness/pin and needles then I would seriously look at making sure you are not obstructing blood flow can cutting your inner boots to give the vein in the top of your foot room to flow.

Scary cutting up your boots but worth it I promise.

Really hope this saves a few people lots of pain. ?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,623 Posts
Thanks for posting!
I assume she has a high arch? I know this story of numb/cold/hurting feet so well... bought battery heated socks, too, but run into troubles with almost every new boot. Combination of unthreading, hacking, AND heated socks was the remedy for me in 32 boots (https://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/260151-high-arch-instep-boot-modification.html). Will keep your way in mind for a future boot where this doesn't work.

BTW: Once you have 10 posts, please come back and post the pics

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She doesn’t have high arches, we had her measured. The issue I think is that the anterior vein crosses over the metatarsal bone and even a small amount of pressure on it blocks it. Again I have pics but will have to wait to post.

This is such a game changer, I would seriously recommend it. ???

I might start my own boot company as I really think this is the solution to so many people foot pain. I’ve also never seen this mentioned in any other forums on the web.... hence me posting.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,623 Posts
Do I have to created 10 posts to post a picture or do replies count?
Just 10 posts (answers). You see your post count beneath your username

·
The Swiss Miss
7,623 Posts
She doesn’t have high arches, we had her measured. The issue I think is that the anterior vein crosses over the metatarsal bone and even a small amount of pressure on it blocks it. Again I have pics but will have to wait to post.

This is such a game changer, I would seriously recommend it. ???

I might start my own boot company as I really think this is the solution to so many people foot pain. I’ve also never seen this mentioned in any other forums on the web.... hence me posting.
Interesting. I never gave a thought on that vains have different layout in different ppl... I've several which cross cross along arch and metatarsal... is it those you mean?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,623 Posts

·
The Swiss Miss
7,623 Posts
Yup, pic are visible now. Thanks a lot!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts