Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
So today we’re off to buy a pair of boots. Going to be trying the idea of padding over the vein before heat moulding the boot and see what that does. My concern with this is that once bindings are put on they will close up the gap (that is basically just an air gap) and apply pressure to the vein again. I think we’ll end up cutting them up so watch this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plz post pics again if and when possible.

What brand of boots r u guys going to b buying?

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the problem of my bradshaw 32's making my left foot numb...solved it by using Boot Doc S8 insoles. I think before getting a proper arch support I was cranking down harder than need be when lacing the internal laces and pronating my foot besides cutting off circulation. I have a ton more stability now when riding and feel super planted with the new insoles so I am sold on them....beside fixing my own numbness issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the problem of my bradshaw 32's making my left foot numb...solved it by using Boot Doc S8 insoles. I think before getting a proper arch support I was cranking down harder than need be when lacing the internal laces and pronating my foot besides cutting off circulation. I have a ton more stability now when riding and feel super planted with the new insoles so I am sold on them....beside fixing my own numbness issue.
Only 1 side of your feet was getting numb

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes - that is what I said.

Might be helpful to another person perusing the forum so I put that out there.

Fwiw it was extremely painful after like 2 runs...so it was a major f'ing issue.
Same here on my recent trip. It was on fire.
Was reading on this forum where some were having their top of their foot where the veins were being compressed and causing numbness.

It got to a point I had to take my boots off on the mountain. That's how bad it was.

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So having just been snowboarding I wanted to updated everyone. The modification we ended up making was a huge success. My wife had the best week of snowboarding in terms of foot pain she has ever had. She didn’t stop to rest her feet at all. We all have a certain amount of foot pain when boarding 6 days straight but the modification proved transformational.

We basically cut away the lining, by slicing through the top layer of fabric and then picking out the foam. This left the inside liner fabric in place. We started with a smaller hole around the arch and over a few days increased the size after wearing the boots for an hour or so. We wanted to take away as little as possible and doing it in stages seemed like a good way of achieving this. Once we where happy that we had taken enough off we taped over the whole to provide a bit of protection and structure to the cut liner.

This really has solved a chronic foot pain issue that has persisted for many years. It’s all about insuring blood supply to the toes. Check your feet for where the main veins over the metatarsal and aim to decrease the pressure in these areas.

Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So having just been snowboarding I wanted to updated everyone. The modification we ended up making was a huge success. My wife had the best week of snowboarding in terms of foot pain she has ever had. She didn’t stop to rest her feet at all. We all have a certain amount of foot pain when boarding 6 days straight but the modification proved transformational.

We basically cut away the lining, by slicing through the top layer of fabric and then picking out the foam. This left the inside liner fabric in place. We started with a smaller hole around the arch and over a few days increased the size after wearing the boots for an hour or so. We wanted to take away as little as possible and doing it in stages seemed like a good way of achieving this. Once we where happy that we had taken enough off we taped over the whole to provide a bit of protection and structure to the cut liner.

This really has solved a chronic foot pain issue that has persisted for many years. It’s all about insuring blood supply to the toes. Check your feet for where the main veins over the metatarsal and aim to decrease the pressure in these areas.

Hope this helps someone out there.

What kind of tape is that?

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a pair of DC scendent boots. I might have to cut some of the lining from the side of my pinky toes. That's where this boots bothers my feet. But I may have to do some mods on top of my feet too. Definitely not as bad as the 32. But now the sides of my pinky toes hurt. Due to the fact I have wide feet

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all and @2by2handsofblue,

I'm not sure if I'm facing the exact same issue as you guys.

I'm an late Intermediate/Early advance guy who apparently have a 1 size too big boots that I bought. 32 Binary Double Boa, and i tend to tighten them tight but not overly tight.

I constantly have this BURNING PAIN internally underfoot as indicated (with Red Circle) in the picture. Not sure if its because of oversized boots, or inexperience by using my toes and balls of feet too much instead of leaning my shin for toe edge or legit there's compression somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Foot Leg Toe Skin Finger

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had similar issues while riding, due to the nerves on top of my feet getting "pinched", when I drove my shins into the tongue of the boot on a toe side turn.

What solved it for me was the Thirty Two Elite liner. Unlike other liners, the Elite liner has a harder rubber like material on the outside. It's almost like the same material as Crocs. This protects the liner and tongue from being pushed and pinching the nerves on top of my foot when driving the shin hard into the tongue of the boot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had similar issues while riding, due to the nerves on top of my feet getting "pinched", when I drove my shins into the tongue of the boot on a toe side turn.

What solved it for me was the Thirty Two Elite liner. Unlike other liners, the Elite liner has a harder rubber like material on the outside. It's almost like the same material as Crocs. This protects the liner and tongue from being pushed and pinching the nerves on top of my foot when driving the shin hard into the tongue of the boot.
Hi @snowman55 can you describe which part of your foot exactly getting pinched? Any image to show? I never noticed any pinched feeling when I get that burn. But thinking back, I do go on my toe-edge a lot more because I'm more comfortable on toes and also using the balls of my foot a lot.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi @snowman55 can you describe which part of your foot exactly getting pinched? Any image to show? I never noticed any pinched feeling when I get that burn. But thinking back, I do go on my toe-edge a lot more because I'm more comfortable on toes and also using the balls of my foot a lot.
The part of my foot that gets pinched is the top part about few inches from where the foot and the and ankle connects.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Interesting. I never gave a thought on that vains have different layout in different ppl... I've several which cross cross along arch and metatarsal... is it those you mean?
What are those blisters you have along the pinky toe side? You don't seem to have particularly wide feet, but those look like you're in a too narrow shell?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
What are those blisters you have along the pinky toe side? You don't seem to have particularly wide feet, but those look like you're in a too narrow shell?
Ain't blisters but a surgery scar from taylor's bunion osteotomy.

Foot is wide only at the forefoot (splay foot) but gets slim right at the middle which indeed makes it bit tricky to find fitting boots.

Got another new scar on top of the foot (mortons neurom removal) recently which will probably add to the challenge of proper boot fitting 😏 especially so as the 32 XLT and MTB I own are rather low cut around toebox 🙄.

Too bad that women's BC boot selection is so little. In 20y snowboarding, I've yet to find a perfect boot 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Ain't blisters but a surgery scar from taylor's bunion osteotomy.

Foot is wide only at the forefoot (splay foot) but gets slim right at the middle which indeed makes it bit tricky to find fitting boots. View attachment 155566

Got another new scar on top of the foot (mortons neurom removal) recently which will probably add to the challenge of proper boot fitting 😏 especially so as the 32 XLT and MTB I own are rather low cut around toebox 🙄.

Too bad that women's BC boot selection is so little. In 20y snowboarding, I've yet to find a perfect boot 🤷‍♀️
@neni...come further into the darkness...Atomic Backlands it looks like they have upgraded the liners and can shape the shells. And perhaps upgrade the liners. On my old backlands it was very easy to blow out for width and perhaps they can wrap/clamp/squeeze the area where your foot narrows (this is all done when they warm up the shell, foot inserted and cooled with cooling packs. Heal up fast. Looks like you might be ready to go in February?

MEMORY FIT

Atomic Memory Fit is one of the quickest heat-fitting technologies around. The key is Memolink, our special additive that improves the moldability and stretch characteristics of our plastics. Thanks to this, all three elements of the boot can adapt to the foot – shell, cuff and liner. Expansion can be up to 6mm in forefoot width and up 10mm in ankle width, resulting in a permanent and complete anatomical fit in minutes.

PLATINUM – GOLD – SILVER – BRONZE
Our Memory Fit 3D liner comes in Platinum, Gold and Silver grades. Our standard liner also comes in a Bronze grade. You’ll see these labels written on the tongue. As our liners go up from Bronze to Platinum they provide the firmer fit better skiers need. They also become longer lasting, warmer and more personalizable.

Memory Fit 3D

Memory Fit 3D is our special liner featuring pre-shaped thermoformable heel and ankle areas, which creates a snug anatomical fit around the heel and ankle for a better foot hold. So there are no pressure points when you put the boot on for the first time. Then for continuous comfort we’ve given the liner a 1-piece toe box that precisely follows the shape of the shell and surrounds the foot with comfortable foam. Also included are special footbeds that have the best blend of initial cushioning and proper support. And finally it’s 100% Memory Fit compatible.

Firmer fit

The number one thing for first timers and intermediate skiers is to have boots that fit comfortably. As skiers get better, that fit can get firmer and more responsive. Our liners support that progression, with firmer foam and higher-performance liner textiles as our boots go up in flex numbers.

Warmer

From Silver upwards many of our liners feature 3MTM ThinsulateTM, the world’s best-known insulation. This means you get ThinsulateTM on Hawx Ultra, Hawx Prime, Hawx Magna and Live Fit. We’ve also added it to all our Kids boots, as little feet get colder quicker.

Longer lasting

The pre-shaped heel and ankle areas in our Memory Fit 3D liner mean the liner maintains its great fit longer. And to make sure the fit of our standard liners lasts for a long time as well we add Dynashape foam: Silver has Dynashape on the ankles, Gold on the ankles and sides, and Platinum on ankles, sides and tongue.

More personalizable

All liners have Memory Zones that are heat moldable for a personalized fit. These zones are on the ankle (1), side (2) and tongue (3) – with the zones corresponding to the liner level.

DYNASHAPE
Dynashape is a revolutionary foam that not only instantly adapts to the shape of the foot but it also provides a longer lasting fit at the same time.

3M™ THINSULATE™ ISOLIERUNG

We’re working in partnership with 3M to create the warmest ski boots ever made with 3MTM ThinsulateTM Insulation. It works like this: the more air a material traps in a given space the greater its insulating value. The microfibers in 3MTM ThinsulateTM Insulation are far finer than any other fibers, which means they trap more insulating air in less space, even when wet. This keeps feet warm and responsive even in extremely cold and damp conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been dealing with idiosyncractic foot pain with snowboarding for quite a while as well, and I'm really enheartened to see so many people find solutions.

I'm also a physician, so I just wanted to add a little medical perspective about the source of the pain. While it's possible it's venous compression on the dorsum (top) of the foot, I have my suspicion it's actual nerve compression due to a very similar distribution of nerves in the area where the veins are. Medically, burning tingling pain is often neuropathic in nature, though extreme swelling can cause a compartment or compartment-like syndrome where the pressure of the tissue increases due to incomplete drainage of blood and fluid, compressed nerves are really more of the culprint.

I realize this might seem ticky-tack in terms of the etiology, but the reason I mention it is that the distribution might be more highly stereotyped from person to person, meaning that you don't necessary need to worry about how the veins look on the top of the foot if you relieve pressure. You may need to follow the pattern of nerve distribution, which while not viewed visually, is mapped in most anatomy diagrams.

Again, thanks for sharing the experience; I'm learning a lot!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here’s a picture showing my wife feet after 20 mins of being in boots. The one on the left is the normal boot without modification. The right foot is with mod. The red patch on the left foot really show how well this works. You can also see the imprinted lines from her socks are much more defined in the left foot.

Hi Hi! I'm new and I think I might be suffering the same thing from your wife. I don't feel much of a numb or needles... But I feel superb Burning Pain sensation inside my arch and forefoot (balls of feet). I am not sure if mine is the same issue as your wife, or do I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis or both issue. My left foot is very very very milf flat foot, but somewhat normal arch, and my ride foot is mild flat foot (sliding more towards the flat foot side).

Any inputs/advice would be appreciated please. Photos are as shown. 1st image shows my veins and subsequent ones are the pressure point with redness. I put a padding on my instep to show where it compresses. I really hope to resolve this BURNING PAIN I am feeling
White Comfort Black Gesture Barefoot

Leg Comfort Wood Grey Floor

Skin Human body Gesture Finger Thumb

Comfort Human body Gesture Barefoot Sky

Sleeve Waist Gesture Bag Finger

41 - 59 of 59 Posts