Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had Rulers last season (standard version/not step on) and the flex wast perfect at the beginning. After 10 days of riding they went from stiffness 6 to 5 or maybe even 4 and become to soft (I have around 175 lbs). For this season I bought Photons which are little stiffer, but after a few days in them they fit perfectly, they become softer as well but not that much as Rulers did.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had Rulers last season (standard version/not step on) and the flex wast perfect at the beginning. After 10 days of riding they went from stiffness 6 to 5 or maybe even 4 and become to soft (I have around 175 lbs). For this season I bought Photons which are little stiffer, but after a few days in them they fit perfectly, they become softer as well but not that much as Rulers did.
What experience level are you and/or how many days/seasons have you been snowboarding, and do you go to the park or just down groomed runs etc?

regards

TheSalamander

·
Registered
103 Posts
What experience level are you and/or how many days/seasons have you been snowboarding, and do you go to the park or just down groomed runs etc?

regards

TheSalamander
I would describe myself as a strong advanced rider. I've been snowboarding for 10 seasons now. Last year for an example, I had 12 days on a snow (I broke my rib so it was an early end :frown:) I ride everything, if there is some fresh powder I would spend all day riding powpow and trees, otherwise I spend 1/3 of a day on a groomers and 2/3 in a park (some days I just lap the park all day long)

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just as a quick update on my thread from a few months ago. Earlier this week my Burton Swath Step Ons (size 9) arrived. Fit is good (tight but not painful) and the stepping on/off seems simple enough. I'm heading to my local ski/snowboard store this morning to have the liners heat molded.

Thanks to the forum and WiredSport for educating me on correct boot fit etc.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've been wearing them around the house every day since they arrived plus around 15 minutes each day on the board since my first snowboard trip isn't for another week. During this time the boots have definitely broken in somewhat and become more flexible. As I'm a beginner I'm fine with the flex, and the set up seems to compliment the GNU Carbon Credit well.

However, the difference in flex between first trying them and now is very noticeable. Probably fine for Park use or beginner/intermediate on groomers. More experienced riders, riders with a lot more weight and/or riders who like to go very fast probably should look to the Photons.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To help provide a visible example of the flex I've included a short video of me demonstrating the flex from today, after about 2 weeks of wearing them around the house. I typically average 1-2 hours a day wearing the boots and about 15-20 minutes or so doing some stance/flex practice on the board. I am wearing US size 9, I weigh around 150-155 lbs and am 5'9". The boots have much more flex now than when I first put them on. Depending how this season goes (planned for about 25-30 days on the snow) I could see me potentially upgrading to the Photon Step Ons either next season or the one after.

You can also see in the photo below which was taken just after the video that the top BOA is almost as tight as it can go. There is more opportunity to tighten the lower BOA.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts