Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to Fernie end of this year or early next year for 2 weeks.

I will be buying a new board for this season any way, and planning to buy more Fernie orientated do-all board. Hoping to have some good pow days, and I generally like skating around the mountain. Not really into bombing down the mountain unless in pow.

Any recommendation will be appreciated.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
While I can't suggest a board cause I don't have enough info, I will say that Fernie's conditions can be quite variable, from day to day, hour to hour, even different sides of the mountain can have significantly different snow.

It's fairly rugged and ungroomed, so something not too far out of the box would be good, something you'd be comfortable on. I like the idea of camber with a lifted tip, or RCR profile boards for fernies mix of ice and powder. :icon_scratch:

When it's deep there it's DEEP, so don't get something too short. There are lots of trees to play in all over too, so don't get something too long.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
While I can't suggest a board cause I don't have enough info, I will say that Fernie's conditions can be quite variable, from day to day, hour to hour, even different sides of the mountain can have significantly different snow.

It's fairly rugged and ungroomed, so something not too far out of the box would be good, something you'd be comfortable on. I like the idea of camber with a lifted tip, or RCR profile boards for fernies mix of ice and powder. :icon_scratch:

When it's deep there it's DEEP, so don't get something too short. There are lots of trees to play in all over too, so don't get something too long.

Hope this helps...
We are all proud of you for not drafting the guy into a group virus buy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Assuming the conditions have been properly stated:

K2 Subculture, Signal OG Flat, K2 Happy Hour, Flow Drifter, Echelon Orion, Salomon Time Machine, Burton Easy Livin or possibly the Trick Pony, or a Yes Basic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming the conditions have been properly stated:

K2 Subculture, Signal OG Flat, K2 Happy Hour, Flow Drifter, Echelon Orion, Salomon Time Machine, Burton Easy Livin or possibly the Trick Pony, or a Yes Basic.
I actually have the original K2 Happy Hour in 157, the first model. I weigh 165ish.

Are you referring to the new model? 13/14 stuff? Just wondering if much changed since then.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if how many in the list I can find locally.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hope this helps...
Sounds like the place is quite complicated... doesn't deter me going to the place though.

What's RCR? Rocker tip and tail and camber in between the bindings?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hope this helps...
What's the good month to go there by the way?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Sounds like the place is quite complicated... doesn't deter me going to the place though.

What's RCR? Rocker tip and tail and camber in between the bindings?
I wouldn't say Fernie is complicated, just variable. Remember it's a 3000 acre or so mountain with almost 3000 feet of vert! There's lots of different stuff available to enjoy.

RCR is mainly camber with lifted tips... There's variations on the idea but I like mostly camber with just enough lift to help in the powder.

What's the good month to go there by the way?
That's the trouble with Fernie, you could have amazing snow in December, Feb, March, or you could have nothing new. If there's any way to wait before booking it'd be better, but if you can't, Feb and March tend to be best there.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I actually have the original K2 Happy Hour in 157, the first model. I weigh 165ish.

Are you referring to the new model? 13/14 stuff? Just wondering if much changed since then.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if how many in the list I can find locally.
New camber profile, new carbon web in the tips, and tweekend. It's a totally different board now.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Fernie has no real jumps, although lots of natural drops, jumps and cat tracks. The park is rails only and pretty small.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Fernie has no real jumps, although lots of natural drops, jumps and cat tracks. The park is rails only and pretty small.
There's places to jump all over Fernie, just no "jumps" lol

I really wish RCR would make better parks. Nakiska actually had a few jumps in their park this year, but otherwise the parks are weak.

Anyway, I think you go to Fernie for the off-piste... :yahoo:

Christ now I want to go snowboarding... :RantExplode:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts