Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I do when Im not boarding. Been building a drag car for about 4 years now and its almost finished.
This is the engine I built for it.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Awesome!

Me?

Jeeping, hiking, fishing, brewing beer

Sometimes I catch more than just fish!

Hey, I don't always rough it! A few beers and a tablet don't weight much in a pack!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
wow a lot going on that build.. question just b/c I'm curious are you using the smaller turbo(TA55?) to spool the bigger one(PT106?) faster for less turbo lag?
Awesome fab work btw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow a lot going on that build.. question just b/c I'm curious are you using the smaller turbo(TA55?) to spool the bigger one(PT106?) faster for less turbo lag?
Awesome fab work btw :thumbsup:
Yeah its a compound turbo system, the smaller turbo spools up first which provides enough exhaust gas to spool the big turbo which would never hit boost on its own. You get the response of the small turbo with the performance of the big one. When the big turbo comes on it compresses the intake of the small turbo increasing its output by 2x for every 1 bar of pressure (if inlet temps remain the same)

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
So boost on the Primary side(after big turbo/before small one) would be at 1bar and then on the secondary side(after small turbo going into intake) would be 2x1 bar? Now my other question would be why not just use a turbo capable of 28 lbs of boost? unless your going for crazy amounts :dunno: sorry just curious if you truly gain anything with a compound system ^.^ btw I do love turbo's.. my second car was turbo'd and everything I've owned since :D

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main advantage of a compound system is a wide powerband. My small turbo is rated at 800hp, so it will start making good power at around 400hp. Add 1 bar to the front of it and (assuming inlet temps remain the same) its good for 1600hp, add 2 bar and its good for 2400hp which is what the big turbo is rated at.
So I literally have a powerband that is capable of stretching out over 2000hp. Trying to do that with a big single or twins is impossible, 2x 800hp turbos will not start making good power at 400hp, that figure will be doubled so it becomes 800hp, then the total output is reduced to 1600hp which gives a powerband of 800hp and is twice as hard to get on boost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So boost on the Primary side(after big turbo/before small one) would be at 1bar and then on the secondary side(after small turbo going into intake) would be 2x1 bar? Now my other question would be why not just use a turbo capable of 28 lbs of boost? unless your going for crazy amounts :dunno: sorry just curious if you truly gain anything with a compound system ^.^ btw I do love turbo's.. my second car was turbo'd and everything I've owned since :D
Its not just how much PSI a turbo can hit, its how much CFM of air it pushes as well. The efficiency of a turbo its determined by many factors, not just PSI.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Its not just how much PSI a turbo can hit, its how much CFM of air it pushes as well. The efficiency of a turbo its determined by many factors, not just PSI.
Understood :) and with crazy amounts of CFM comes maintaining fuel to keep the mixture from leaning out so he must have some fairly large injectors to keep up with the demand :D

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 4000cc of injector per cylinder and a mechanical fuel pump that runs off the dry sump pump.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
:laugh: awesome 4000cc injectors largest I had were 450cc :thumbsup: can't wait to see a finished project and the run(s)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its 2 injectors per cylinder at 2000cc each and methanol fuel. You need to burn twice as much methanol as you do petrol to make the same power so thats why I have so much injector

·
Registered
239 Posts
What engine? I've seen sequential or 2-stage on diesel blocks and the fd 7's. They always seemed more of a novelty outside of tractor pulls. Gas blocks weren't designed for the combustion pressures. The first thing you do with a 7 is go to a big single for power. Looks like you have an air to water i.c. Love to see a vid of a dyno or track run.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sequential systems are shit, thats why they get thrown in the bin for a single. I have no physical intercooler, it has water/meth injection and you dont need to worry about my block
;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts