Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I think people were harsh toward the idea of Forum revivals in the past because they were obvious disingenuous cash grabs. If the original members back this, hell yes, I'm all for it. Nostalgia is a strong selling point, after all.

I know Devun rides for Wired but hoping he can make an appearance, too!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I honestly don't care... I support those riders, they were great and are still good/relevant. The brand? I couldn't care much less about it. Anybody who rode those boards back then knows they weren't good. Hopefully they'll build them better now but I'm still not buying.
I'm not against it either. I do hope it works out for the sake of the people involved, nobody deserves to fail (well, almost nobody).
I remember Look, Kemper (before they came back), Barfoot, Checker Pig, Crazy Banana, etc. and they evoke the early days for me etc... I wouldn't buy those brands even if they came back either.
If it works for some nostalgic people: good for them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I binged some old forum videos today at work after seeing this thread. I remember the planks those era boards were, and it is even more nuts how big they went on em. Makes me want to beak out the special blend balloon pants in the basement
JP nose-pressing handrails on those things was totally bonkers man. The idea of pressing anything on those stiff camber boards back then (no RC in the '90s) for more than a couple feet was completely ridiculous to most of us.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Some were pretty bad - OG JJ board was a cap construction POS that rode like it, too. But that green F base! Wouldn't mind seeing some classics reissued with original graphics but revamped innards. Skully Destroyers!

It's probably going to be a low key, limited release only in the veins of what B did with Brushie and Terje classics. I hope they leave it at that so that the brand doesn't fail yet again.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I honestly don't care... I support those riders, they were great and are still good/relevant. The brand? I couldn't care much less about it. Anybody who rode those boards back then know they weren't good. Hopefully they'll build them better now but I'm still not buying.
I'm not against it either. I do hope it works out for the sake of the people involved, nobody deserves to fail (well, almost nobody).
I remember Look, Kemper (before they came back), Barfoot, Checker Pig, Crazy Banana, etc. and they evoke the early days for me etc... I wouldn't buy those brands even if they came back either.
If it works for some nostalgic people: good for them.
This 100%!!!
Nostalgia for selling boards is kind of shitty. Besides wouldn't a new Forum deck basically be a Burton with a different topsheet/base anyway?

·
Registered
10,040 Posts
The boards in the last few years weren't bad, some were pretty good. The best thing Forum offered was their team. If they can bring that back, with the vibe, then they have a place. If they just want to "Kemper" there return with just reissue graphics, open mold shapes, and only build their team with pros that should be retired, nah.

Reactions: SandPounder

·
Registered
10,040 Posts
This 100%!!!
Nostalgia for selling boards is kind of shitty. Besides wouldn't a new Forum deck basically be a Burton with a different topsheet/base anyway?
My pure speculation is that if this is returning, it's not Burton. They do still own the liscence, but maybe they felt fine to sell to JJ, Mack etc or something. Just a guess though.

I have been saying for years that Burton just needs to quit it with their dumb (except I do love me some Kilroys) psuedo am team nonsense. Bring Forum back, make it the grom am team. No board over $450. Hard to find at retail in real life.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Legit question: Does anyone under the age of 35 care about Forum? The way the brand was marketed was revolutionary at the time, the team and vids were insane....but it literally went out of business TWICE.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Legit question: Does anyone under the age of 35 care about Forum? The way the brand was marketed was revolutionary at the time, the team and vids were insane....but it literally went out of business TWICE.
To this day I regret selling my 2012 Destroyer with the electric chair graphic. I was late to the party but sure enjoyed watching all of those films as I was discovering snowboarding, JJ and Walsh are still some of my favorite riders.

·
Registered
10,040 Posts
I'm 34

Reactions: jlund72

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It wasn't all vidoes and hype. Their free-flexing hinged binding discs predated Burton's version, and also did channel before B, too. Apart from Elan (EU) and Yonex (Japan), Forum was the first core brand (at least in the US I think) that mass released ICS boards. I hunted down Republic and Shaka bindings long after they were discontinued because they had all the features and adjustability one could ask for in bindings. But none of this matters if you don't care.

Care about it or not, it's one of the most recognized brands in snowboarding. Brand recognition does not equate to affinity but it's still a valuable asset. I hope it carries on in some meaningful way or form.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forum Jeremy Jones board was the 1st board I ever owned! I still have it, break it out every once in a while for nostalgia...man, that thing would fly. I'd buy one!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some were pretty bad - OG JJ board was a cap construction POS that rode like it, too. But that green F base
You mean like this one?

I dug out these old pics from back in the day when I spent 2 seasons riding Red Mountain (Rossland B.C.).

Forum boots, board, and bindings… yeah… they weren’t the greatest I’ll tell you that. Even at the time I remember thinking that.

The boots were super heavy with a massive footprint too.

But that marketing machine… damn… I’ll admit, it sucked me in! Big lesson learned.

Snow Tree Slope Sky Sports equipment

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
You mean like this one?

I dug out these old pics from back in the day when I spent 2 seasons riding Red Mountain (Rossland B.C.).

Forum boots, board, and bindings… yeah… they weren’t the greatest I’ll tell you that. Even at the time I remember thinking that. The boots were super heavy with a massive footprint too.

But that marketing machine… damn… I’ll admit, it sucked me in! Big lesson learned.

View attachment 163494

View attachment 163495
Super cool

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,168 Posts
You mean like this one?

Forum boots, board, and bindings… yeah… they weren’t the greatest I’ll tell you that. Even at the time I remember thinking that. The boots were super heavy with a massive footprint too.

View attachment 163494

View attachment 163495
Awesome! Which seasons were you there? I did a season at Red in 03/04.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts