Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyyo,

So I'm pretty happy with my Ride Machete 155 for groomers and kickers. I'm at about a low intermediate to intermediate level. I would really like to get into some freeriding, like technical steeps, glades, bigger natural features like cliff drops, etc. I remember moving up from a noodle to this Machete and how it seemed to just bulldoze uneven snow stably rather than ride bump-ily over it. I'm wondering if going to an even stiffer board that is made for freeride will help with that. How big is the difference going from my machete to a plank? Is it worth the upgrade? Another factor is that I won't be doing ALOT of riding .. I'm a busy college student, so maybe 25 days up this year. But I'd like to make those days amazing so let's try not to make this too much of a factor.

I was also wondering if you had any opinions on the Rossi Premier from a while back. I've found a few used Premiers for sale online and I saw a few riders at the Swatch Freeride World Tour do some gnarly ass riding with them. Do you feel that the tech is too outdated from the 2005-2007 Premiers? Other options I'm thinking about are the Rossi Experience and Slash ATV. If you have any recommendations for boards that would be great, too!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Yeah pretty outdated to be honest. Especially for a freeride board.

The XV is s super good board. It'll ride over anything, rocks, ice chunks, rodents, small children, but it's not a dead plank either.

If you want something with a different approach look at the K2 Ultra Dream. It's a surfier feel, but super stable and damp enough without being dead. So not a precise freeride thread the needle machine like the XV, but will totally handle anything you can find in bounds. And is stupid fun in powder.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Huge. Worth it is up to you. Consider the conditions and terrain you'll be riding most. Is it worth riding a freeride board that isn't as fun as something more all mountainy when you're not riding freeride terrain?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds like the machete is a pretty solid deck for what you want. Medium stiff flex with reverse camber of sosome sort is what I'd look for.

How tall/heavy are ya? I'm 5'8 180 and like to go for a slightly longer board in the 157-60 range for all mountain riding. Especially on reverse camber boards where you can size up and feel like you're on a shorter board.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like the machete is a pretty solid deck for what you want. Medium stiff flex with reverse camber of sosome sort is what I'd look for.

How tall/heavy are ya? I'm 5'8 180 and like to go for a slightly longer board in the 157-60 range for all mountain riding. Especially on reverse camber boards where you can size up and feel like you're on a shorter board.
This. I own a Machete and it's pretty solid for trees and moguls.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
First off. Just because you see an expert or pro rider shred hard on a board does not mean it will be what's best for you(they can shred any board). And I have rode the hell out of a machete but its a flexy ass board. If you are serious about riding steeps and doing cliff drops and free riding I suggest you get a directional free ride board. And keep you're machete for groomers and freestyle park. But that's just me.

·
Banned
257 Posts
My Recommend

It sounds like you want a hard charging powder board that will handle ice and pow?

The Rossi experience magtek
The Rossi XV magtek Niven knows what he's talking about.
The DC Devun pro model
The k2 ultra dream
Also the k2 peace keeper
Ride slack country? I don't know if this is a hard charger, but it definitely is a pow stick

·
The Swiss Miss
7,436 Posts
It sounds like you want a hard charging powder board that will handle ice and pow?

The Rossi experience magtek
The Rossi XV magtek Niven knows what he's talking about.
The DC Devun pro model
The k2 ultra dream
Also the k2 peace keeper
Ride slack country? I don't know if this is a hard charger, but it definitely is a pow stick
You did ride all of them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm thanks for the input everyone. It does seem like from what everyone is saying that moving from my current Machete up to a Stiff deck will be a big move and probably worth it. Cheers!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,436 Posts
neni do you have any input on my situation with the Jones Flagship? =)
Hmmm...
I don't know... I haven't fully understood what you're looking for (and I kind of guess, you neither ;)).
I can sing hosanna on my Lady in Black. But all my boards were relatively stiff, and I don't know the Machete so I kind of don't know what to comment on your particular situation, can't say how big the difference will be :huh:. I love the board cos it fulfills my most important requirements: powability and stability. But I don't hit jumps if not in pow (soft landing) and I don't ride switch :)rolleyes:) and I'm sure don't do other of your requirements. I just carve, straight line or ride pow. And for this, the Lady is sweet. It's fast, stable, responsive: perfect board for perfect days. Exhausting on bad days (bitch in moguls!). What are your expectations? What's the terrain you're going to ride?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
In general. Isn't it a powder oriented freeride board?
Kinda the best way to put it is to compare it to the Turbo Dream. The Turbo is an all mountain board that slays pow, the Ultra is a pow board that slays all mountain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts