Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, besides something softer than a TRS, i'm looking at some deals for a freeride specific board. Don't want something high end but i want to be aware if i come across something at a huge discount. I'd rather destroy that in the rocky alps, while having better float.

I saw a k2 gyrator in the store for about 330euro, it seemed interesting, and i can almost find if for $300 (thats like 220eur) online.

Could use some help with the sizes, or maybe some other names.

I'd access the terrain by chairlift or hikes.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
You can probably snag a Raygun for pretty cheap and its a very under appreciated board. And you wont feel bad when you smack the base through the core on a rock.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rei has one for $210, 160w. The description makes it soound like it's softer?
I've ridden a 160w Raygun once on a soft snow day with some powder still in the trees.

I liked it in the soft stuff, but wasn't a big fan on the chopped up groomer. Although, after I got accustomed to the flatline rocker, carving started to feel better. It's not a real stiff board, but i enjoyed it and I like stiff boards. Good board for the price for sure....espcially at $210!

I'm 6'4'' 200lbs and felt like it was plenty of board for the soft stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be a 168 gyrator out there for $300. Better choice than a raygun? Rocks hurt more though?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Seems to be a 168 gyrator out there for $300. Better choice than a raygun? Rocks hurt more though?
the gyrator is definitely a better big mountain powder board than the Raygun. How big are you? Pretty big difference between a 160 and 168.

Not sure what you are asking about rocks....just avoid hitting rocks if you can, and fix the base if you hit one :dunno:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah sorry i forgot to write here because i have another "which board" thread running

220lbs, 11.5 6'2"

theres a 162 and a 164

·
Registered
889 Posts
yeah sorry i forgot to write here because i have another "which board" thread running

220lbs, 11.5 6'2"

theres a 162 and a 164
Ahhh....okay. If you are lookiing for a mostly powder board, you probably want something bigger than the 160 Raygun.

If this will be strictly a powder board, the 168 gyrator would probably be best. If you want it for powder and other freeride stuff, the 164 should be fine as well. Although, double check the waist width on the 164 just to make sure your 11.5 boots will work. If it's around 260mm you're probably fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd use this strictly for the powder days, 18/0 angles and stuff. I've got the TRS for other stuff. It comes in a 162 and a 168. Probably will have to get a new bag to carry this on a plane, right now i've got the dakine low roller 165.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd use this strictly for the powder days, 18/0 angles and stuff. I've got the TRS for other stuff. It comes in a 162 and a 168. Probably will have to get a new bag to carry this on a plane, right now i've got the dakine low roller 165.
If I were you at 220lbs, I'd buy the 168 for a powder board since you already have a nice everyday board.

If you can get the gyrator for $300 that's a pretty nice deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts