Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey!

So I really want to get into more technical freeriding this winter - steeps, powder, glades, easy cliffs, etc. I went into a local convention looking for a board that could handle it! I found and bought what I thought would be a board that could handle it - Option Franchise. Super stiff.

After I took it home I examined it more closely and began to regret(?) my decision. I realized it's got no taper, very little if any setback, and I was reading that most freeride boards these days have rocker up front rather than full camber (this board has like >1cm). I understand how rocker at the tip can ease float and landings.

Everyone at the Swatch FWT was riding like a Flagship or an Experience, both which are Rock/Cam/Rock. But then again at Supernatural, Gigi Ruf was riding a Slash ATV and Travis Rice was riding a C2, both of which have no tip rocker, so they manage fine!

So I'm debating whether I should sell this board and buy a freeride-designed Cam/Rock/Cam if I want to ease my way into technical freeriding? I haven't the board yet ridden it yet. I mean, is it going to make that much of a difference? If I do get rid of this board, I was looking at an Atomic Banger.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Option Franchise.
Option has bead dead for years...no warranty my friend.

...Flagship or an Experience, both which are Cam/Rock/Cam.
Nope, they are both camber in the middle, rockered tips, although these two boards are mostly camber, with a touch of rocker in the tail, and more in the nose.

Gigi Ruf was riding a Slash ATV
Nope, he was riding the Straight. another camber between the feet (although this is very minimal) and rockered tips.

and Travis Rice was riding a C2, both of which have no tip rocker,
But has rocker in the middle....C2BTX is a decent board in the pow with cam/rock/cam

I was looking at an Atomic Banger.
Again, FULL camber . Where are you that you can only get snowboards that are at least 2years old?

Good freeride boards:
Slash Straight
YES Pick your Line
Rossi Experience or One
Jones Flagship
Capita BSOD
NS Raptor
blah blah blah...

Ummmm....no offence, but.....trolling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I meant that the Experience and Flagship are Rock/Cam/Rock, I'll change that. The Atomic Banger is also a Rock/Cam/Rock profile though.

Does it really matter that these boards are 2 years old though?

And I don't really see how the rocker in the middle of C2 would help with what Rock/Cam/Rock is trying to fix (nose submarining and ease of landing)? I know alot of people like the surfy feeling of rocker in the middle but that doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am partial to the RCR profile.

Do a little research on the boards I posted in my first reply. Also, your weight and boot size will also play a role in selecting the right size....unless you are already good with that.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
And I don't really see how the rocker in the middle of C2 would help with what Rock/Cam/Rock is trying to fix (nose submarining and ease of landing)? I know alot of people like the surfy feeling of rocker in the middle but that doesn't really matter to me.
In the same way that it helps on pure rocker or straight-rocker-straight boards. In other words: heaps.
Rocker in the nose really only helps with float in pow if it is long and drawn out (which none of these boards are), otherwise it mostly only makes the ride less catchy/more forgiving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts