Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at Rossi XV 163 for riding bowls. I have a Rossi Templar 156w which is way too flimsy for high speed turns and tends to flex and chatter on me when riding through crud. Although it does great on moguls.

Anyone ride the XV? I’m not sure I need 2 magtek board in the quiver. Want a more cambered board with a bit more pop but I don’t want to spend for a custom X. Heard the Jones UMT is good? Think I’ll relegate the Templar to fooling around in park and maybe some trees and moguls lol

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The XV is an awesome big mountain ripper, I've been off mag boards for a while, dont miss it really, look into K2 for some similar boards- alchemist, excavator, pleasures, lots of great boards fit the bill, find the best price 👍

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Depends on where you ride. If you see a lot of icy conditions then mag is a good option to help in variable conditions. I have the XV and love it for the NE thaw freeze cycles. If you’re riding mostly powder it’s not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The XV is an awesome big mountain ripper, I've been off mag boards for a while, dont miss it really, look into K2 for some similar boards- alchemist, excavator, pleasures, lots of great boards fit the bill, find the best price 👍
Thanks I ended up getting the instrument. Seems plenty stiff enough and more versatile then the other K2 free ride boards. Excited to rip it this weekend!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks I ended up getting the instrument. Seems plenty stiff enough and more versatile then the other K2 free ride boards. Excited to rip it this weekend!
My favorite all-mountain ripper of all time. Ridden mine through the progression park, screaming down groomers, down some steep stretches throughout Tahoe. I wouldn't take it to AK or Baldface, but I love it for just about anything except exclusively park or deeeeeeep low-angle terrain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My favorite all-mountain ripper of all time. Ridden mine through the progression park, screaming down groomers, down some steep stretches throughout Tahoe. I wouldn't take it to AK or Baldface, but I love it for just about anything except exclusively park or deeeeeeep low-angle terrain.
Nice. Glad to hear it! Defo want to keep up with skiers on the steeps.

I considered the manifest team for a more “utility knife” type board but seems a bit more park focused. Anyway, super stoked!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nice. Glad to hear it! Defo want to keep up with skiers on the steeps.

I considered the manifest team for a more “utility knife” type board but seems a bit more park focused. Anyway, super stoked!
I've clocked ~60 mph on groomers on my Instrument, so it can handle decently aggressive riding, but it's not a steep fall line board. IMO wider boards are generally better for all-mountain ripping, but bit of a liability if you hit a bump going full-send.IMO you want something narrower and stiffer for that kind of riding.

If that's what you're looking for, I think your instinct towards something like an XV was a good one. Personally if that was my main goal, my go-to list would be Jones Aviator or Gnu Banked Country. Maybe a Jones Flagship if I was thinking SERIOUS terrain or aggressive or a K2 Alchemist if you have the scratch. Out of my personal quiver, I used a United Shapes Orbit for that sort of riding but sold it because it was too gnarly for all-day cruising for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've clocked ~60 mph on groomers on my Instrument, so it can handle decently aggressive riding, but it's not a steep fall line board. IMO wider boards are generally better for all-mountain ripping, but bit of a liability if you hit a bump going full-send.IMO you want something narrower and stiffer for that kind of riding.

If that's what you're looking for, I think your instinct towards something like an XV was a good one. Personally if that was my main goal, my go-to list would be Jones Aviator or Gnu Banked Country. Maybe a Jones Flagship if I was thinking SERIOUS terrain or aggressive or a K2 Alchemist if you have the scratch. Out of my personal quiver, I used a United Shapes Orbit for that sort of riding but sold it because it was too gnarly for all-day cruising for me.
yeah thanks I see your point. I decided I don’t really want another mag tek board since they suck flat basing and I also read the XV base isn’t the slickest, which I’ve experience on my other rossi even after multiple wax applications. Not sure how I feel about the reverse flex either for the XV. Seems better for east coast riding.

the other free ride boards seem too much work if I didn’t want to charge all day. We’ll see how it holds up 🤷‍♂️ 🤙

·
Registered
613 Posts
yeah thanks I see your point. I decided I don’t really want another mag tek board since they suck flat basing and I also read the XV base isn’t the slickest, which I’ve experience on my other rossi even after multiple wax applications. Not sure how I feel about the reverse flex either for the XV. Seems better for east coast riding.

the other free ride boards seem too much work if I didn’t want to charge all day. We’ll see how it holds up 🤷‍♂️ 🤙
Yep. That's ultimately why I sold my Orbit. I'd rip around and have a blast all morning, then take some gnarly falls in the afternoon because my legs or brain were cooked. Some of the worst falls I've taken in 15+ years, when I was first starting out. Those types of boards are fun, but demand you to be "on". Instrument I can make my way down steep shit if I'm careful, and still ride all day and fuck around on.

But again, depends on what exactly you mean by "keep[ing] up with skiers on the steeps", both how good those skiers are and how closely you want to keep up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. That's ultimately why I sold my Orbit. I'd rip around and have a blast all morning, then take some gnarly falls in the afternoon because my legs or brain were cooked. Some of the worst falls I've taken in 15+ years, when I was first starting out. Those types of boards are fun, but demand you to be "on". Instrument I can make my way down steep shit if I'm careful, and still ride all day and fuck around on.

But again, depends on what exactly you mean by "keep[ing] up with skiers on the steeps", both how good those skiers are and how closely you want to keep up.
Oh yeah. I just want to take it on any run at the resort including some off piste without feeling like I don’t have enough board. Don’t need to win any races. Current board is too soft.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ohhhhhh ,they wud ahve to drag me out trade show while i asleep !

some great looking new sticks love the look of the new amplid all rounder, the ORCA.. the arbor fish ( VERY simiilar looking to heads , the day) borealis leviathan bamboo, burton deep thinker to mention a few

1 - 17 of 17 Posts